News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

RE-Painting

Started by inanecathode, May 04, 2007, 07:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sable

Glazing putty works wonders for small areas to be filled... then any other body type filler for any large dents that cannot be pulled. I have used glazing putty a lot on my tank, worth checking into (it's easier sanding than jb weld)!

~John
1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker

YellowJacket!

Quote from: inanecathode on May 25, 2007, 04:20:31 PM
When they're not being evil :D

One of my calltledogs name is Levi.  When he's bad, we rearrange the letters in his name and call him Evil.  ;D

Fortunately, hes not bad often.

David

good documentary on your paintjob too. 

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

inanecathode

Gah! I need to get this done, i'm feeling like such a bum. All i've gotten done is that one last coat, work is sucking up all of my time. Tomorrow i'll get the second coat on before the final sand on the plastic, and the 600 sand on the fairing. Still a bit worried the multicolored body work will show through, as well as the edges on the plastics. I'll try, if it turns out to show through, going over the edges with un-thinned paint to see if that sticks alright.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

reckon

Quote from: inanecathode on May 25, 2007, 09:05:59 PM
Aye, i'd probably use primer next time. Does primer also even out the surface? Or is there a special kind of thick primer?

he's right,..but there are exceptions,.........you can take urethane primer, mix in the hardener, and then just use a small roller and roll it on,....it leaves some texture, but that will set up about 1/16 to 1/8 inch thick depending on how many coats you apply, and that texture will sand out beautifully with 220-320 grit.

glazing putty is GREAT for small pinholes, BUT NEVER, EVER, EVER get the "toothpaste tube" of red oxide NON CATYLIZED putty,...get the newer two component (has a hardener like bondo) glazing putty, with METALGLAZE by evercoat being the best.  the red oxide stuff (which is just lacquer primer with no thinner) will melt as soon as you apply the paint coat exposing EVERY pinhole and defect you covered with it.

"if it's stupid but it works, it's no longer stupid"

inanecathode

Alrighty, it's ON like donkeykong this week.
I'm getting all the parts in the sun, and i'm going to speed paint for the day, get as many coats i can on all the parts, wet sanding between them to get the body work covered and even out the rough spots. When they're in the sun the paint dries in 10 minutes (probably not cured, but hard enough to sand)
I know the painting gods are angered by this most likely, but i'm fairly sure if i can get it done this way it'll turn out fine.
Fingers crossed!

Shop is closed today and monday, so i have no access to the parts. So it's work time on the pair of cb's that somehow i ended up responsible for :o

inanecathode

Alright alright...
I've been a bad kid, havent done any painting on the parts recently. Hopefully the downtime incurred by the shipment of my new boots plust some nice weather will lead to a bit of work. I'm using the pine trees around my house to hold up my parts whilst i paint them :D

kwells

dont know bout by you but it's windy as hell here....hope your booth is there tomorrow
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

We've had times of strong wing & times of calm tonight.  Some gusts were at least 50 MPH.  Total calm at the moment.

Supposed to get snow tonight at elevations above 9 or 10 K feet.  Not all that common, but not unheard of, either.  Saw 2 feet in Steamboat (7,000 ft.) in late June once.  That was back in the '70s when we had the coming of the next ice age (argued just as strongly as global warming today).  Guess with the new science, a few inches way up high is all we can expect, now.   ::)

Hope we have a week of warm weather starting the 17th!!!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

Snow? Geeze. Good thing i work outside today.
Wait, what?

h2olawyer

Wear your coat!   :D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

ARG! GAH!
I left my coat at kwell's house :/

inanecathode

Ok then!
Had a couple of days recently of really nice weather, so i got all my pieces up and hung in trees to paint. The last two coats of paint i applied did WONDERS to the finish and transparency of the fairing pieces, im thinking this might work out!

inanecathode

Woo! How's that for a hiatus!
I've got the faring pieces up again and another coat of paint on them. I think i'll have to put some coats on with the pieces lying flat, it's awefully streaky with them hanging. Just for giggles i've got a piece out seperate that i shot with some rattlecan clear coat to see how that'd end up. Still drying on that one, but heres how the left side looks now:

kwells

are those cannibis sativa plants growing in the background

www.wellsmoto.com

inanecathode

kwells

www.wellsmoto.com

supervision

Hey fellows, what's going on?  That ride through national park was cool.  The lunch stop rocked, did you see those girls planting flowers next to the street in estes park, what a day!  And that cross town freeway section was unreal, I wanted to haul ass.     Dave   SV
" border="0

inanecathode

Lol i love that road, its like my own private speedway :D

kwells

www.wellsmoto.com

inanecathode

Premium.... everywhere! *twitch*

The more i think about it the more i think its not the paint, its the way i'm painting. I'm putting way too much paint on in a stroke, i need to paint the edges first, very lightly, then very lightly paint the flats. I've tried a natural bristle brush and it's laughably terrible. Also the clear coated piece is the most orange peely work i've ever seen :o 400 grit saves the day!
I'll try one last very light, careful coat after a wet sand tonight. I'm sure if i get it light enough and careful enough it'll look fine. I'm thinking about touching up the edges with straight unthinned paint, the edges dont seem to like the thinned paint that well.