News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Pics of the New Guy's Vision! (56k Warning!)

Started by ithinkitsbroke, May 04, 2007, 08:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ithinkitsbroke

Some of you have seen my other thread introducing myself and I told you guys that I was going to get some pictures of the bike up as soon as I got a chance to.  Well, I finally got out and took some pictures of her today.  Be warned - Some of you Vision lovers will hate to see a Vision in this condition, but I'm going to do what I can to get her beautiful again in the next few months.

Me & the new toy.

I've already started trying to find some decent places to order some parts for her such as the necessities like cables, etc and I'm having a hard time - I'm open to suggestions.  ;)  The one problem (Heh, one of many) is it seems as though it pops out of neutral just as you start rolling it.  It (obviously) doesn't start at the moment, even though I haven't tried, but you can tell by the pictures that she won't start.  But when I get it in neutral, just as I start to push the bike, you can hear a click from the area of the shifter and it sounds as if it's popping out of neutral and into first or second gear...  ???

So, what do you guys think?  Am I in over my head?  My dad (who's a huge bike-guy with a Goldwing) seems to think I am but I really want to prove him wrong.

Check out my internet radio station ~ 88.9 The Buzz - Your Rock Station!

YellowJacket!

Your pictures bring back fond memories.  Your bike looks almost exactly like mine looked when I brought it home.  Only difference is that it was raining when I took my first pics.
Your bike has LOTS of potential.  I too had little wrenching experience but dove in and stripped it down to a pile of parts that took over half my garage for the better part of a year.  So, fear not, it can be done.
Parts can be found in many places.  Start by checking in with tiger here on the site.  He posts a "weekly updated parts list" in the swap shop forum here on the site.  Many of us check it frequently for things tat we need or what we have that others may need.  For instance, your starter relay...
Ebay is another great source for parts but it can be a bit frustrating at times.  We tend to post links to "unobtainium" or much needed parts that we come across.
You'll have a bit of work ahead of you but we are here to help as much as we can.  Let us know where you are from as there may be a member nearby you.
I think you will be able to prove your dad wrong.  But, look at it this way....could be a good opportunity for some father and son bonding.  ;D

Also, the Haynes Manual is a must have invaluable tool for workig on your bike.  You can get them on ebay and amazon, BUT>>> One of our members, Lucky who is also our resident Carb guru, went to great lengths to compile the Haynes Manual, service manual, parts list and many many other resources onto a CD/DVD.  Its cheaper than buying the paperback and has loads of more info.  Check with him about buying one of his disks.

Take Care,

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

ithinkitsbroke

Quote from: DaveTN on May 04, 2007, 08:59:42 PM
Many of us check it frequently for things tat we need or what we have that others may need.  For instance, your starter relay...
Ebay is another great source for parts but it can be a bit frustrating at times.  We tend to post links to "unobtainium" or much needed parts that we come across.
You'll have a bit of work ahead of you but we are here to help as much as we can.  Let us know where you are from as there may be a member nearby you.
I think you will be able to prove your dad wrong.  But, look at it this way....could be a good opportunity for some father and son bonding.  ;D

Also, the Haynes Manual is a must have invaluable tool for workig on your bike.  You can get them on ebay and amazon, BUT>>> One of our members, Lucky who is also our resident Carb guru, went to great lengths to compile the Haynes Manual, service manual, parts list and many many other resources onto a CD/DVD.  Its cheaper than buying the paperback and has loads of more info.  Check with him about buying one of his disks.

Take Care,

David
David,

Yeah, I figure if nothing else, it will be a great learning experience for me and something to keep me out of trouble. :)  I'll start frequenting the Swap section because as you can tell, I'm going to need some parts. lol  As far as the starter relay, you're talking about the object in that last picture, right?  The previous owner said that it can still be switched on and off with the with either a pair of pliers or a screwdriver (which kinda' scared me) but I have yet to try it.  I'll probably go out tomorrow when there's light out and throw a charger on the battery and see what happens when I try to turn her over.  I also want to take the gas tank off and try to look around inside, since the gas cap has been off, see how bad the rusting is inside the tank.  I'll be sure to post my results here. :)

As for the father-son bonding, I thought the same thing.  ;D  I'm all over that DVD, too!  I wonder if he takes PayPal.  8)

kwells

well at least it's paint and tires are good.... :'(
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

ithinkitsbroke

Quote from: kwells on May 04, 2007, 09:20:45 PM
well at least it's paint and tires are good.... :'(
:D

I hope you're joking, because if not, you need to clean your monitor!  lol

Tiger

:) Hello again...I Think most of us will agree, we have seen some "V"s in a lot worse state than yours, here on the ROV site, that have been brought back to life.

Lets start with the good news...She is fairly complete ;) and has less than 8k on her... 8) With time, elbow grease and not to many $$$ you should, with the ROV Family help get this old girl back on the road. However, you have to be prepared to dig in and not get to despondent with a few set backs, that you will get, along the way.

We do have some guys in Ohio, (ps2 ??), who may be quite close by, have some of the parts you need and might be able to ride down/up to help you in person...just make sure you have the B.B.Q hot and the beer cold :o ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

Keep us informed with your progress, ask as many question's as you like...some one will always be here to help you get thru' and look in the "Swap shop" for part's...if you cant find what you need...just ask ;D :D

Look forward to seeing you progress with your Vision... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

kwells

www.wellsmoto.com

Night Vision

well, looks like we have our work cut out for us now don't we  :o

all kidding aside, you're not that far away from having a nice Vision..

like Tiger said,  It'll take some time, patience, perserverence and a couple of franklins.

DO NOT TRY TO FIRE HER UP WITHOUT PUTTING AN INLINE FUEL FILTER ON!!!
your tank will most likely have rust, and rust in the carbs is not nice....

That's your ignition switch there in your hand and yes you can turn it with a screwdriver to make it work

"So, what do you guys think?  Am I in over my head?  My dad (who's a huge bike-guy with a Goldwing) seems to think I am but I really want to prove him wrong."

get Lucky's cd (he does take paypal) and hide it from your Dad.... do lots of searching on this forum, ask questions.... (advice here is free, but you get what you pay for  :D ) and show him you can do it....

.... then let him ride it.... next thing ya know you two will be doing another one and you can help him  ;D
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

kiawrench

that bike is in better shape than my project bike was when i started-

seat cover can be made at home with some marine grade fabric and a real good stapler--
dents in tank can be mostly removed with a deep freezer! (do this before cleaning and rustproofing tank) remove petcock, seal holes  fill tank with water and ice cubes, crushed ice and water is even better, allow no expansion room inside tank if possible. seal gas cap port with plastic wrapp and tape. put it into a deep freezer, and check on it hourly. once contents are almost solid, it will begin to push dents out . keep careful watch, do not let it freexe to point of rupture!

allow to thaw out, clean, dry and rust proof  tank, refinish outside with labmetal to fill in any small areas. then paint .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

ps2/bikevision

again welcome. your girl is not in that bad of shape. from what i see, it only needs a case of beer, some sandpaper, and some tlc. possablity a BFH in the future. its getting warm out so if you really get stomped or find that you need a few parts that i have, a road trip just might be in order. probally have to be on the fzr cause ive been a bad boy this year and niglected my V. got to go through her real good again. there are a few other members kind of close too. some just north. we havent gotten a ride together yet but maybe we can get somthing going.

get a parts list together and let me know. i dont mind making a road trip and help out another vision. i also got a buddy looking for another v too. could get our own group together.

Night Vision

oh yeah, the poping out of gear thing?

don't sweat it until you get the bike up and running.... get some oil moving around the innards and into the clutch pack... you really don't see many posts about tranny or driveshaft problems on the site...

you'll learn that these V's don't like to sit around... the more you ride it, the better it behaves
;D

archangelof2003

Heck Yeah!  I just got my carbs rebuilt and cleaned and back in my bike.  Tomorrow I plan on firin' the old girl up ....I hope it runs.  I'm sure I did something wrong but nothing I can't fix I'm sure;)  Anyway, I'm in Ohio...no guru by any means but I can help ya sometimes.  Just from the last 2 months of lookin on here I've found that the Vision is not like any other bike out there.  It truely is unique.  Dont rush through getting it running as you will only hurt it.  Patience is a virtue.  Your bike is not much wors than mine was but the biggest things are time, elbow grease, money...lots of money....have I said time yet?  and elbow grease?  oh yeah...and some money.

kidding...you'll have fun...these guys are all a great help...the Keyster carb kit is great...hmmmmmm....that's what I have learned in a short time.  And change your brake support bolts...

We'll ride this summer...sometime!

Good Luck!
"May the devil know we're dead a half an hour after we're in Heaven..."

archangelof2003

archangelof2003

oh and one more thing...Tiger is right.  Cold beer and a warm grill are the BEST way to get people to help...;)

ithinkitsbroke

Thanks to everyone that has responded!  I'm as far northeast in Ohio as you can go - In Conneaut, to be exact.  My plan is to currently figure out the essentials that need to be replaced/repaired/rebuilt in order to get the bike started and running.  After that will be checking out the suspension, brakes, getting new tires and making sure the lighting is in tact and she'll be street legal enough to give her a few short rides here and there to help fine tune everything.  I figure after that, then I can worry about making her pretty...  Which I'm already planning a nice color scheme.  ;D

Where can I get my hands on this DVD/CD repair disk?  I'll order it as soon as I can find out how. :)

Oh and that crushed ice and water method for the dent removal is pure genius!  I would have never thought about doing something like that!  :D

I already have so many questions - I'm not even sure where to start!  I do know that I'll have my digital camera ready when I go out see how she does turning over and I'll post it here to see if anyone can suggest any problems they might notice, etc...

Thanks again everyone for the great support!!  You'll be seeing a lot of me for some time to come!  Also, after I get a parts list together and some suggestions from you guys on what parts I should pick up, I'll get them together and I'll take orders on what beer the northern Ohio guys like and what you like on your burgers and steaks.  ;D

Night Vision

glad to see you have a plan: essentials first....

you can go here to contact Lucky:
http://ridersofvision.net/forum/xzindex.php?action=profile;u=4
at the bottom you can also send him a personal message

or you can wait till he hunts ya down  :D

the only true hard to get parts you'll probably need is an exhaust of some type...
start looking now

you'd be surprised how many of the other bits are available at a dealer and not really that expensive.
folks here have odds and ends

send me a personal message with your addy and I'll send you a starter nose seal to get you going on sprucing up your starter.
;D

ithinkitsbroke

Quote from: Night Vision on May 05, 2007, 12:42:51 AM
the only true hard to get parts you'll probably need is an exhaust of some type...
start looking now

you'd be surprised how many of the other bits are available at a dealer and not really that expensive.
folks here have odds and ends

send me a personal message with your addy and I'll send you a starter nose seal to get you going on sprucing up your starter.
Yeah, I've been looking for an exhaust already and so far I've come up with nothing.  So then I decided to try the aftermarket area and I still can't seem to find anything.  Well, I did see the Predator exhaust on the main page of Riders of Vision, but that looks pretty expensive! lol  I'm a big exhaust person, myself...  I mean, come on...  I have a little Dodge Neon that I put a performance aftermarket exhaust on, but it sounds great!  ;D

By the way, I sent you a message, Night Vision! Thanks!

ps2/bikevision

your front pipes look fairly good yet. there pretty thick. ill check my parts pile and see what i got for the rest. i know i got a few. im pretty sure i got a better set than what you got. ill check tommarow though.

kwells

www.wellsmoto.com

Tiger

Quote from: kwells on May 05, 2007, 02:54:08 AM
It probably wasn't what you were looking for yet but here is something to ogle at

http://www.macperformance.com/store/category.cfm?SID=3&Category_ID=897

8) Ooooh, gotta love those MAC's... 8) Look good and sound great, (and LOUD!!!).

...You can sometimes pick up a used set...try your local bike wrecker's and keep a watch on eeee-bay. I know one of my wreckers has a set but he is asking $165.00 for them.

You are right to concentrate on getting her running first and then making her look good. Lucky's C.D./D.V.D. will certainly help you get her going again.

Vision's need a battery in good condition...you can buy one at Walmart for $32/33.00. You should also buy new spark plug's/caps/wires and an in-line gas filter to start with...Make sure the carb's are squeaky clean, likewise the gas tank. You are now best part of the way to getting her running... ;D ;D :D :D :D :D... ;)

ps2 and the Ohio clan will help look after you as well as of us here, good luck. Your dad will soon see the error of his ways ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)...and you can tell him I used to have a 'wing but sold it and now have two "V"s, ('82 & '83)...because its nice to ride a real fun bike and not an armchair-on-wheel's :o :D :D

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!