News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Pics of the New Guy's Vision! (56k Warning!)

Started by ithinkitsbroke, May 04, 2007, 08:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

Quote from: Night Vision on May 04, 2007, 10:34:28 PM
That's your ignition switch there in your hand and yes you can turn it with a screwdriver to make it work

:) Not cheap, but heres one on eeee-bay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-yamaha-vision-xz550-ignition-cylinder-key-lockset_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ10066QQihZ003QQitemZ130021592984QQrdZ1

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Coil Coyle

Quote from: Tiger on May 05, 2007, 07:55:50 AM
Quote from: Night Vision on May 04, 2007, 10:34:28 PM
That's your ignition switch there in your hand and yes you can turn it with a screwdriver to make it work

:) Not cheap, but heres one on eeee-bay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-yamaha-vision-xz550-ignition-cylinder-key-lockset_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ10066QQihZ003QQitemZ130021592984QQrdZ1

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Getting a key made for your original is going to be $40 or more.

inanecathode

I got a key made for 15 bucks last year o_O
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

ithinkitsbroke

Oooooh, that Mac exhaust does look pretty nice.  Too bad it doesn't come in shiny chrome.  I'm thinking about a flat black and chrome look for the bike when she's ready for the cosmetics.  I'm planning on blacking-out everything - a light layer of tint on the turn signals and brake lights (don't worry, the stuff I use barely blocks any light output) and the bike's going to be painted flat black and anything that can be chrome or high polished, will be.  ;D

As far as the ignition electronics like the plug wires, caps, and fuel filter goes, is the fuel filter something generic enough that can be picked up from a local Auto Parts store?  Also, the battery on the bike is only about a year old, can I just fill it up with some distilled water and make it hold a charge?  I didn't see any fluid in the battery upon quick glance this morning...

EDIT:  Okay, I just noticed that the Mac Vision exhaust system comes with a chrome muffler. ;D  That might appear on my to-do list at some point in the future!

Check out my internet radio station ~ 88.9 The Buzz - Your Rock Station!

Night Vision

just so you know....the inline gas filters are little plastic cone shaped clear jobbies.. not a car gas filter.

distilled water for a battery - yes. I have a spare 12v car battery that I use for difficult starting situations (cold oil is thick).. those little batteries don't have a whole lot of reserve capacity, even when new....

you can jump off a car battery... as long as the car isn't running
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

YellowJacket!

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

Napa sells them part number 18-7828
looks like this:
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

ithinkitsbroke

Thanks guys.  I'll see if the area parts stores here have any...  I don't have a NAPA close by, so I'll try the small hometown place and then AutoZone if they don't have one.

Here's my next question:  I went out and put the battery on the charger for a bit after taking it off the bike.  I need to go pickup some new screws for the batter mounts, too, but anyways...  I got her first sign of life.  Please at least watch the second video because it's a question I have about the starter...

First one - The First Sign of Life  :D
http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c206/sard0nic/MyXZ550/2nd_Day/?action=view&current=sign-of-life.flv

Second one - Starter Solenoid Clicking Real Fast...  If you listen early in the clip, I tried to hit the 'Start' button a couple times and just get a single click from the solenoid.  I then noticed the ground (I think it is) was disconnected from the bolt on the back of the starter.  I connected it, tried to turn it over again, and go the result of a fast rapid clicking noise...
http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c206/sard0nic/MyXZ550/2nd_Day/?action=view&current=start-solenoid.flv

Since I'm a noob...  Why's it doing this?  Is the starter frozen up from sitting?

Also, on another positive note...  All of the electrical wiring and stuff for the lighting, etc still seems to be in tact since when I turn on the ignition I get headlights, functioning brake light and parking light, and operating turn signals!  One less thing to have to worry about right away.  However, the fuse box (which I've read in many articles) is toast and will need replaced.  One of the previous owners completely bypassed the fuse box and tied all the wires right together.  ::)  Way to try to start fires!  Here's some depressing pics of that mess:

Lucky

that wire to the starter is the wire from the solinoid to the starter. the hot (power wire).  don't let it touch ground!

the clicking is typical of a dead battery. 
bolt the starter wire back up
jump the bike to the car (car NOT  running!)

pos & neg to battery teminals on the car battery,
pos on the bikes battery &
LAST connection to the bike, somewhere away from the battery.  engine mount bolt, etc. anything that'll give you a good ground. 

the reason for this is that the last connection on jumper cables will produce a spark.  if you do this at the battery, the hydrogen gas given off by a wet cell battery will explode, spraying you with battery acid.  it can happen, i've seen it happen & blind & disfigure a mechanic.
use this procedure anytime you jump any kind of vehicle.. positive connections first, last connection AWAY from the battery.

make sure the bike is in nuetral (green light on the idiot bar, do i see yours missing?) or else keep the clutch pulled in & try again to start the bike.

if the starter doesn't turn tap it with a hammer lightly.

btw, check the window on the left engine case to make sure there is oil in it.

a little carb cleaner sprayed down the throats of the carbs will help it fire.

if it runs a few seconds, dance & sing, at least you know it'll fire up...

--Lucky

ithinkitsbroke

Thanks for the quick response, Lucky.  I'm going off to the parts store now, what kind of plugs should I get for the bike and what oil would you recommend since I want to get that changed ASAP?  I want to treat this bike like gold when I finally get everything fixed up...  A full synthetic?  And what weight should I run?

As for the neutral light, I think it's there, but now I'm going to have to double check on that.  Oh yeah, and I don't have a clutch cable. :(

Thanks again for the helpful response!

Lucky

get some cheap detergent 20-w40 oil for now, (Castrol will do fine) NO FRICTION MODIFIERS 3 qts & a filter
d8EA or equivilent plugs.  save the irradiums for later

inanecathode

I'd definitely say drain/clean the tank and drain/clean the carbs before even trying to start it. All the crap thats already in there you dont want imbedded anymore than it already is.

ithinkitsbroke

Quote from: Lucky on May 05, 2007, 01:44:51 PM
that wire to the starter is the wire from the solinoid to the starter. the hot (power wire).  don't let it touch ground!

the clicking is typical of a dead battery. 
bolt the starter wire back up
jump the bike to the car (car NOT  running!)

pos & neg to battery teminals on the car battery,
pos on the bikes battery &
LAST connection to the bike, somewhere away from the battery.  engine mount bolt, etc. anything that'll give you a good ground.
Well, I was essentially jumping the bike since I had the battery charger connected right to the battery cables on the bike.  I tried with the charger set at 10 amps and then tried it set at 50 amps - Both settings offered the same results...  ???

ithinkitsbroke

Quick update while I ran in for a new 'cold one'...

I reconnected that wire to the starter and the starter's freewheeling...  I'm off to re-read that other topic I saw yesterday about someone having that problem.  The guy that I got the bike from said that the starter was just rebuilt, he paid something like $40 for it, I think.

Lucky

i've never met a charger, for home use, that could start a vehicle better than a fully charged battery...  my .02

inanecathode

Quote from: Lucky on May 05, 2007, 05:15:02 PM
i've never met a charger, for home use, that could start a vehicle better than a fully charged battery...  my .02

I agree with lucky on this one. I'd just pull up your car and run some jumper cables over (non running). You can't properly diagnose any problem unless you're meeting requirements for parts to work.
You probably already know this, but duuuuuude, those connections need to be replaced/cleaned. Clean connectors and a good ground will fix MOST of the problems you'll soon encounter.

ithinkitsbroke

I'm going to see if I can find my set of jumper cables and pull my car around back and see what happens.  I pulled the starter off and apart, and everything spins either direction with no problems, no binds.  I'm not sure if this is a good thing, but I put the starter back on and it still sounds like it's free-spinning.  Like I think Lucky said, like a power drill on steroids.  Again, I'm pretty new to this stuff, but it either seems like no compression or something's missing/broken somewhere along the line.  I just drained the oil out of the bike, also and it almost appears that there was a wee bit of water in it, also not a good thing.  I wonder where it came from?

Does anyone have anything like a nice picture of both sides of their bike motor and a few arrows pointing to vital components with labels on what each thing are?  Since I'm still learning about bike engines, something like this would be pretty damn helpful. :)

Thanks for being so patient with me, folks.  I really appreciate everyone's input/help!!

supervision

" border="0

Tiger

:) Please go back to your autoparts store and buy Five in-line fuse holder's with rubber top covers. The type that hold a car style a.t.o. blade fuse and get rid of that mess...its a fire waiting to happen.

You will also require 1 x 30 amp (green) and 4 x 10 amp fuse's (red).

Under the seat you require 1 x 30 amp and 3 x 10 amp.

The other 10 amp is to replace your rad' fan fuse holder which is located in your headlamp bucket and gets forgotten...until the "V" overheats :o

Once you have replaced all of these, then go onto do the "other things" BUT not before, as you may be hiding other electrical problems by being direct wired (and the bolt fuse ::) ) These type of fuse's are also more readily available, if and when you need to replace one ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

YellowJacket!

Hey Ithink.  Love your avatar.  There was a thing in the newspaper here a while ago.  Someone painted "OLNY" in a turn lane.  Ranks right up there with "W's" Nucular.  :o

Daivd

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)