question on the main jet!

Started by mustang_pg, May 12, 2007, 02:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mustang_pg

Main jet 130 ,,,, i am swaping it but the when i went to the dealer they didnt have 135 they only had 134 does it make a big difference?? i picked them up any way but just though i would check before put them in

Lucky

134 should be fine. prob never notice the diff...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick_in_WA

to expand on the question: I just got 4 visions in a deal one was a runner but it had carb issues... ~gummed from sitting~ one ha/s a set of k&n's and I was told carbs had been recently rebuilt, so I did a carb swap. and used the K&N's, I looked at  jet size the rear cyl is 135 and the front shows 130,.. bike seems to run great after warming and starts very easily,... what jets should this set up have? with K&N's, and stock exhaust.?
The bike will snatch the wheel up in 3 gears and seems to pull pretty stong from idle to redline,  If it aint broke dont try and fix it?.....
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.

h2olawyer

I'd say don't touch it!  Normally, the Vision carbs require the airbox and OEM or UNI Filter air filters in order to run properly.  Does the set-up with the K&Ns use the airbox?  If not, what are the main jet sizes?  (Mains are behind the brass plugs on the sides of the carbs)  The jets you describe - 130 front & 135 rear are the pilot air jets.

I refurbished a Vision this Spring and the carbs have the same pilot air jet sizes you describe - 130 (F) / 135 (R).  It seems to have more power in the lower RPMs than the Vision I've owned since it was new in 1984.  That bike has 135s for both pilot air jets.  If I wasn't doing an upgrade to the 1983 fuel system, I'd try changing the air jet in the front carb to a 130, just to see if that is why the power difference is so noticeable.  Above 5K, both bikes seem to be equal on power.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick_in_WA

Thank you for the info..... I dont know a singlething about the vision carbs, the K&N filters I have on it are HUGE!  they are as tall at the factory airbox is and as big around as a big mayo jar, I wasnt sure what jets I was looking at, these jets are in the top of the carb looking  down into the throat.
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.

YellowJacket!

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Rick_in_WA

yea in one way it did, in anouther id didnt..... I am hopeing to meet up with some members or at leased find a good running vision so I can get a benchmark, I dont have a clue how these things are supposed to run.
I will get light in the front end in 3 gears, and doesnt seem to have any stalls or hessitations. the k&n's are huge I cant get over the size of them. I would like to know if and any gains they are giving me.

kwells

I would say if you arent getting stumbles with the pods then you're probably doing pretty good with these bikes.  Probably have a bit more in the top end with a free flowing intake.  Exhaust may give you added benefits as well.  You're sorta in unexplored territory by going to the aftermaket intake
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com