...worked on "The Mistress" to-day---UP-DATE.

Started by Tiger, December 23, 2006, 09:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

Quote from: Vision Rising on January 20, 2007, 10:28:39 AM
If you don't get infoby then, I'll take some photos and measurements of mine tomorrow.

Brian

8) Thank-you Brian... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

is this what you're looking for?

part number: 11U-28358-00-00
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiger

:) Thanks N_V... ;) That, me boy, is, for sure the part that I need... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Scott_Mc

Quote from: Tiger on December 30, 2006, 11:07:58 PM
:) Well, I've ridden for a long while now with this ringing noise coming out of the motor...balancer nut loose, so they reckon... ::) Sooooo, today I thought to myself...self, time to do her... :o .......

...Another job completed from my "TO DO" list...NEXT!!!               

Tiger, quite a job! I thought maybe if you heard ringing in your ears you'd have just assumed people were talking about you ;) :D ;D ??

Did you take any picture of this job?  Also, about how many Kilometers on the bike when this problem started?
Owned an `82 XZ for 22(?) years!
Current 2-`85 and 1-`86 GS1150E/ 1-`85 GS700ES
Wanted:-ST1300 :-O !!

Night Vision

Quote from: Tiger on January 21, 2007, 08:57:33 AM
:) Thanks N_V... ;) That, me boy, is, for sure the part that I need... 8)

check your PM's
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiger

Quote from: Scott_Mc on January 21, 2007, 09:45:22 AM
Tiger, quite a job! I thought maybe if you heard ringing in your ears you'd have just assumed people were talking about you ;) :D ;D ??

Did you take any picture of this job?  Also, about how many Kilometers on the bike when this problem started?

::) ...If there talking about me, I'm saving some-one elses ear's... ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D... ;)

:-[...Aprox' 10,000 mile's on her when we got to-gether 18 month's ago...and she has been ringing ever since...like the girlfriend from hell ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D The noise can occur, really, at anytime. This is because the locking tab's are not bent over at the factory at the time of production... :o

The "off-season", for those of us that have one... ::) is a great time to do "Fixes", repair's, etc. I would advise those that haven't done so, to remove the left side cover...pull the flywheel and do the starter clutch bolts,(Replace the old one's, red loctite, torque and "shamrock" peen the new one's), also check the condition of the three starter clutch roller's/spring's/spring cap's for wear and replace, if need be, check all the nut's/locking tab's in there, visible quality of the stator...(Hmmm, thats what a stator looks like!!!), clean the oil sight glass while your there...It could save you down time during the riding season... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Brian Moffet

Tiger

MotorPlow

Quote from: Night Vision on December 25, 2006, 08:30:15 PM
Quote from: Tiger on December 25, 2006, 11:53:21 AM
:) N_V...Received...I will be out that way on Wednesday and will pick up what-ever they have on your list... 8) SWEET

??? Can someone explain the settings on an '83 shock please... ??? Yup, I bet I know what you're going through  :-\

on the shock I got, the adjustment ring no longer works correctly. I don't know if it was me  ::) or it came that way...

the black ring with the numbers on it has one little tooth that fits into a toothed ring on top of the shock that is similar to the one on the bottom of the shock. That black ring is split (by design).

you'll also notice there's a "roll pin" sticking up on top of the shock and that there's a notch in the top plate of the shock that the spring rests against

Because the tooth might be broken on the ring, this leads you to believe that when you turn the ring, it's supposed to move the pin......

NOT.........

carefully remove the black ring, it just snaps on or off, and expose the toothed gear at the top of the shock... then you can take channel locks to turn the toothed gear....

the toothed gear "clicks" when you go through the 5 adjustments. all the way clockwise till it won't turn any more is 5.. turning all the way counterclockwise can actually put you past the first setting (no more clicks)

After you loosened it all the way, and start to tighten it back down, you may get a "false" first click. turn it a couple of times and you'll find the five clicks you want..

Then... paint the roll pin and those five teeth opposite the roll pin that correspond to the settings just in case you don't want to do this again....

you can put the black ring back on if you like, and line up the number on the black ring with whatever "painted tooth" setting you have it on with that notch on the top plate....   

EITHER THAT, OR
you just want to know what the settings are and I could scan and email that page of the RK Supplement to you  :D

This is the greatest place on the net....
I am getting ready to install my '83 Shock. (It's been sitting in a box long enough...)

~MP