News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

My New Camera Mount - **Updated -Now with Lucky and Daves Scenic Ride

Started by YellowJacket!, May 16, 2007, 05:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

I have been looking for a decent camera mount for quite a while. I had found a great little 3mp camera/camcorder that is about the size of two decks of cards.  Its not the best, but for about $30.00 and it being a "flash card" camere, I figured I couldn't go wrong.
I had googled camera mounts for motorcycles and really didn't find anything that would work on the V.  I looked on www.ridegear.com and found the "ultra clamp" and "ultra mount" but they were a bit pricey. (close to $50.00 with shipping)  Anyway, I was cleaning my desk off and found a $25.00 coupon for Amazon.com and it occured to me that I should look there for my camera mount.  Well, they had the ultra mount/ultra clamp for $27.00 with free shipping.  So, I decided to go for it since it was only going to cost me $2.00.  ;D
Anyway, here it is.  Its perfect for the V.  I can mount it on the mirror stalk (shown in pics), on the handle bar - a tight squeeze but doable or on my engine guards for a low view perspective.  I'm going to try out a few of the positions when the weather gets nice again and link to some videos of it.  Just for now, heres some pics of what it looks like.

My Blue Heeler, who is a bit curious but is absolutely terrified of my bike since I put the MAC's on it

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

I allways wanted to do the shot from outside the front wheel!
don't let me ride your bike or i'll be scraping camera, not peg  ;D ;D ;D
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

Looks good, David!  The MACs probably hurt your dog's ears!   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

YellowJacket!

Quote from: h2olawyer on May 16, 2007, 08:00:45 PM
...The MACs probably hurt your dog's ears!   ;D

H2O

Yeah, I figured that.  I never start it in the garage and will usually close the garage door before I start it because of the megaphone effect.  Levi (we rearrange the letters to spell e v i l when he is mischevious) will run and hide in the middlemost bathroom in our house only when I take my V's key off the keyrack.  I can go in the garage with my gear on and push the bike out and he's fine.  As soon as I take the key off the rack he runs and hides.  Blueheelers are too darn smart.
Also, you may have noticed that I have the viewfinder LCD open in the pics.  I don't plan to ride with it that way.  Just had it that way for "the photographic effect".

David

Lucky

I had my viewfinder open at the Gap, it's actually fine to glance at when there is time, & make sure everythings lined up. don't get distracted though. practice with it first, & if it needs to be realigned, pull over.
--Lucky

inanecathode

I've got a red heeler, i agree, they are evil.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

h2olawyer

Quote from: inanecathode on May 17, 2007, 12:07:56 AM

Not YOUR dog!   ;)    Only tries to 'talk' to me the entire time I'm over there.  Good watchdog, though.  Amazed it puts up with the cats.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

Quote from: h2olawyer on May 17, 2007, 12:12:39 AM
Quote from: inanecathode on May 17, 2007, 12:07:56 AM

Not YOUR dog!   ;)    Only tries to 'talk' to me the entire time I'm over there.  Good watchdog, though.  Amazed it puts up with the cats.

H2O

Lol that is IF they arent moving. The minute they move he gets all ancy and looks at me like "aw come on just this ONE time, last time i promise!"
He wants to know when you're coming over again so he can sample your clothing o_O
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

Scott_Mc

8) Cool, looking forward to the vids!  Try not to pay too much attenion to IT while riding!
Owned an `82 XZ for 22(?) years!
Current 2-`85 and 1-`86 GS1150E/ 1-`85 GS700ES
Wanted:-ST1300 :-O !!

YellowJacket!

Heres a little teaser video.  Nothing special, just a quick ride around the block.  I attached the mount to the crash bar/engine guard.  It was a perfect fit and showed almost no vibration in the video.  The camera is riding on the left side of the bike about 10 inches above the ground.  It actually worked out a lot better than on the mirror stalk, as the camera turned with the bike.

The video is about 5 mins and is about 75mb.  The link will open up a player onscreen and stream the video from my photobucket page.

Enjoy.  ;D

David

Scott_Mc

8)  8)  That's a great angle there.  I like how towards the end you really let her rip  Man it's been so long since I've heard a V run.  Ahh the memories :-\ .

Thanks DaveTN

YellowJacket!

Im gonna ride with Lucky toorrow. I usually ride behind him, so ya'll get a good view of lucky riding as well as the sound of two mac equipped V's.
Photobucket only allows 100mb uploads at a time so I'll have to find a better location.  Any ideas?  You-Tube?

David

Brian Moffet

And how many stop signs did you roll on through, I thought that was California (as in California stop) only thing  ;D

YellowJacket!

GT @ oh.

Never thought about putting a camera on my bike but that would be great for a trip thru the scenic mts. thanks Daaave one more thing to get ::)

YellowJacket!

MotorPlow

Quote from: DaveTN on May 19, 2007, 10:30:08 PM
Im gonna ride with Lucky toorrow. I usually ride behind him, so ya'll get a good view of lucky riding as well as the sound of two mac equipped V's.
Photobucket only allows 100mb uploads at a time so I'll have to find a better location.  Any ideas?  You-Tube?

David

www.youtube.com
video.google.com
video.yahoo.com

Any of those should work...

Scott_Mc

Quote from: MotorPlow on May 20, 2007, 04:02:56 PM

www.youtube.com
video.google.com
video.yahoo.com

Any of those should work...
[/quote]

Don't know about Yahoo and Google, but You-Tube brings the video clarity down to dissapointing levels :'( .

YellowJacket!

I went with Google.  You tube has a max limit of 5 mins.  Google allows more and has a special uploader program.

Didn't get to ride today.  Had homework and also hadn't seen my son in 2 months.  Lucky and I are going for a ride tomorrow afternoon and it should be quite scenic.

David

Lucky

uhh...no we're not... just realised that my son's Jr high graduation is tomorrow night...