News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Shift Shaft Seal Again

Started by comatt, May 18, 2007, 01:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comatt

I bought a oil seal from a local bearing shop last year and put it on when I replaced my stator, now it is leaking.  The one I got last year is not the right size, 12x22x4, but a local dealer has the OEM ones in stock, I hope it is the 12x22x5. 

My question is can I replace the seal without draining my oil?  Maybe lean the bike over?

Has anyone ever done this? 

I don't have too much of a problem draining the oil, but I probably have 500 miles on the bike since my last oil change about a month ago.

Thanks, comatt

don_vanecek

When I had to take my fly wheel/stator cover off the second time I just drained the oil in a clean one gallon ice cream pail (plastic) that still had the lid. No need to touch the oil filter-then of course put it back in. I also changed the shaft seal with a factory one, seems to be OK at this time. I had the cover off so not sure if you have further complications with the cover on-hopefully someone else will advise.

ps2/bikevision

If you lay the bike on its side you can change the stator without draining the oil, so i dont see why you cant do the same with the seal.

comatt

Great, thanks guys.  I got a new seal, $5, the old one was $3.  I am going to try and lay it down or lean it over to see if I can change it. 

Thanks!

ps2/bikevision

when i had to change my starter i used 4 2x6's nailed together (was actually a car ramp) and layed the engine on that. then the handle bar rested on the ground. didnt loose a drop of oil. and didnt hurt the enging either. or the tank.

Lucky

uhh... did everyone forget??

you have to remove the stator case to change the shift shaft seal....
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

QBS

If my failing memory is correct, there is an older post (I think by Lucky) that proposed replacing the shift shaft seal without removing the engine cover by (1) removing the shift linkage from the splined shift shaft, (2) drilling one or two very small holes in the seals' steel body, (3) screwing one or two small sheet metal screws into the drilled holes, (4) grab the screws with pliers and pull out the old seal, (5) install the new seal using a socket (slightly smaller in diameter than the seals' steel body) to tap it into place, (6) reinstall shift linkage onto shift shaft, and as always, (7) declare victory.

I've never performed the above described procedure, but need to.  If anyone has done this, please respond with your experience.

Lucky

the seal sits in the engine case, so the procedure QBS outlined is correct, but the stator cover sits on the engine case & still has to be removed first.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

MotorPlow

Yup, mine is leaking again too.... I am going to wait until next winter. Too much fun riding right now.

ps2/bikevision

Quote from: Lucky on May 18, 2007, 10:28:36 PM
uhh... did everyone forget??

you have to remove the stator case to change the shift shaft seal....

no i didnt forget about taking the stator case off. thats what i was talking about when i said laying it down you could change the stator without changing the oil. if you lay it down pull the cover off then take the seal out as QBS had outlined. it "should" be possible. dont know if id do it that way but it could be done.

comatt

Yeah, I noticed it the other night.  I got the seal and went to put it on and, I need to take the stator cover off!  Totatly forgot, that's why I replaced it the first time, because I replaced my stator.  Oh well, I think I am going to put it off for a couple of weeks as MotorPlow says " Too much fun riding right now".

I may try to look into getting one of the reusable gaskets.  Last time i looked though I could not find the on for the Vision of the website.

Thanks, comatt

don_vanecek

The Cometic stock number is EC1062018AFM, I'm looking at my invoice from December. Call them at 440-354-0777, I'll bet they have an 800 number listed on their web site but its not on my invoice. Cost was 10.95 but another 9.95 for the shipping.

Mine seems to be working just fine, I believe H20 has one on now also.

Good luck!

comatt

Thanks Don, I did not think that they were that cheap.  I might order one sooner.  I looked at their catalog, but did not find any gaskets for the Vision.  Do they sell other gaskets for the bike, I know just about all of mine need to be replaced sometime soon, especially the valve covers, but also the head gaskets.

Thanks Again,
comatt

h2olawyer

I believe Tdub had a list of the gaskets Cometic makes for the XZ550.  When you call them, use the XZ550 designation instead of Vision.  When Tdub was working for the Memphis Shades race team, he had Cometic make several gaskets for the engine.  I have the left cover gasket installed now & the right side cover gasket is hanging on my garage wall, waiting for my water pump repair which will eventually get done.  They charge quite a bit to ship & they were kind of slow, but the quality of the gasket & the fact they're reusable makes the shipping snafus well worth it.

Keep an eye on eBay for valve cover gaskets.  They do come up from time to time.  I have a used set from the Pumpkin Project.  They've got some kind of white sealant on them (looks like caulking  ::) ).  They didn't leak when I removed them & the new ones sealed just fine without any sealant.  If you want the used ones, they're yours for cost of mailing.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

comatt

Thanks H20, I will have to keep an eye out for the valve cover gaskets.  I plan on calling Cometic later in the summer to order some gaskets.  I'll let everyone know in case you or other CO Vision owners what some gaskets may be we can save on shipping. 

Thanks, comatt

don_vanecek

I don't know why the Cometic people had to send me my gasket in a box with enough room for 50 more gaskets instead of just a large envelope. I'm frankly still alttle peeved at them zapping me almost $10.00 bucks for something that could have been sent registered mail for less then that.  Perhaps this is a topic someone doing a future order with them can try to negotiate with them on.