YICS fabrication info-update (UPDATED)

Started by reckon, February 16, 2007, 07:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

You don't stop riding because you get old, you get old because you stop riding!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

Quote from: DaveTN on March 27, 2007, 08:30:01 PM
(did I just awaken a gremlin?)

David

I don't believe in gremlins...or just don't get carb dip on them after midnight!
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Aelwulf

*being the newb and not having gotten knee-deep yet is hoping the tanks are next* :D

Great job, if mine ends up needin' one I'll let ya know. ;)

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

zore

I'd love to see a tank with the flip cap in the center of the tank like all the new bikes.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

ps2/bikevision

i did some expermenting with cutting the top of the tank off (old badly rusted and dented one) was going to see about making a new tank out of some kind of plastic and using the top as a cover. my fzr is that way. metal tank with a plastic cover. i didnt get to far with it though.

taank

dlock

I know I be a newbee and all, but my V came all broken including the "yics box".  so I have the pipes in the cylinders capped.

The power range is awesome, smooth from 25 mph in 5th all the way to as-fast-as-my-balls-will-let-me-go.  The thing idles just great.  so what is yics box all about and why do I need one? 

Brian Moffet

Quote from: dlock on May 18, 2007, 03:01:00 PM
I know I be a newbee and all, but my V came all broken including the "yics box".  so I have the pipes in the cylinders capped.
The power range is awesome, smooth from 25 mph in 5th all the way to as-fast-as-my-balls-will-let-me-go.  The thing idles just great.  so what is yics box all about and why do I need one? 

If this is true, don't bother to put one on.  It allows some "combustion vortices" to form, allowing better combustion.  I have mine on, because it's always been there and I don't see a need to remove it.  Others are running without it.  I suspect the truth will only be seen on some bikes or on a dyno.

Brian

taank

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Tiger

Quote from: taank on May 26, 2007, 10:43:18 PM
what dose the yics do
:) In very basic terms...as the air and gas vapor mix, the YIKE'S!!!! , causes a vortex inside the cylinders and there-bye creates a cleaner, more efficient burn...some run with them, some, like me, prefer to run with-out.
:) They are prone to internal and/or external leaking...causing a variety of issues...bad starting, idling, etc. When you check one for leaks, also check the 24/25 year old hose's ::)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Lucky

on the other side, when properly maintained, they help the bike start easier, run smoother & gas milage improves.  some agree, some don't.  don't chuck it because some members say to, decide for yourself.

--Lucky

Glyn

Make a metal one. The extra time spent initially will pay for itself many times over. I reckon they run better with one fitted. Well mine does anyway.

zore

I believe someone posted the dyno results once and it looked like about 1hp.  But that could simply be contributed to any number of variables such as temp and humidity.  Personally, I keep the yics box on but plugged.  The plastic was in good shape and I think it looks better than a big hole.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

supervision

I just realised that mine was leaking between the two chambers, so it was the equivelant of hooking the two hoses together. My bike had a bad stumble, but I was use to it.  I wanted to find something to use as a replacement and settled on using two of the very tiny WD40 contaners... they sell for $ 1.65 each at the store and are made of metal...  The hard part was hooking  5/16 hose to them.  What I ended up doing was drilling a hole down thru the center of the nozzle, slowly making it big enough to push fit the O D of the 5/16 fuel hose into the can.  The sharpness of the metal makes it hard to move the hose, thru the hole, so they seal well.  I next drilled the cap from the WD can so the hose can come thru it, for a "finnished look".  The results are fantastic, I never knew how good my bike could have been running!  Miles better at idel and just of idel, and much less STUMBLE !  I see their perpose as being a vacuum resevor, charging up with negitive pressure when the throttle is closed. It gives  the simulation of longer intake runners, without makeing a long intake?  what do you think> come on !   I just noticed another container suteable for this, is the gigantic marking pen (used most commonly for blacking out your rims), is another metal container, close in size
" border="0

Lucky

are you sure it's your chambers or just the alternative fuel you've discovered?  yup, i run wd-40 octaine...

supervision

I sprayed them into a bottle untill empty, then drilled open the tops to get the left-over spray tube ect. out, before using as yikes.  Does look like WD40 injection to each cylinder, tho it's just a vac chamber.  I'm amazed how long I might have been running with the leak between the stock box cause now there is no lag on takeoff.  Even had my son ride it (he was doubting my claim), he say's it feel's like a different motorbike. made a believer of me of how much it does.
" border="0

Glyn

The standard YICS and the standard carb problems seem to make up about 50% of the posts on the site. They should both be boat anchors, (apart from the YICS may float). If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it keeps getting broke don't try to fix it, change it. 

kwells

Yes and no.  It seems as though initially they might make up 50% of the problems I think the reason why they continue to be problems is due to human nature.  Most people will only half fix the problems.  When the carbs do clog, they might spray them out with carb cleaner reinstall and go.  It takes several things to really fix that problem however.  It takes PORing the tank, a good inline filter, and probably a couple dippings for the carbs, then reinstall, and synch.  BUT, you can't really synch it correctly if you have a leaking YICS (which most do also). So the problems seem to be cyclical until you just get up the energy to tackle the series of causes and not just the symptoms.  I've been guilty of every single one of the above psuedo-fixes also.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com