Is the Front Brake Brace Bar Bolt as important?

Started by hungn, May 20, 2007, 09:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hungn

Should I be checking/replacing that one also?

inanecathode

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Lucky

imagine that bolt breaks, the front of the bar drops down, digging into the pavement, pole vaulting the back of the bike into the air...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

From a safety standpoint, that front bolt is the most critical.  Hardest to get to, though.  If that one breaks, you will pogo stick on it & the results will not be good - ask kiawrench.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

hungn

Does anyone have the part number for the front brake bolt?  Thanks in advance.

Hungn

Night Vision

Quote from: h2olawyer on May 21, 2007, 01:57:03 AM
....Hardest to get to, though....

it's a blast watching someone replace that bolt....

"grumble, grumble... "plink"

yep, I know exactly where that went....

yep, there it is again.....

are we ready to try it my way yet?

"grumble, grumble... no thanks, I got it"

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

jasonm.

Some are replacing with 8mm bolts. This is WRONG! The brake bar and associated parts holes and shoulder bolt are 10mm!  Use a 10mm and grind the head to fit it at the drum!  The bolt must be a full 10mm where it passes through the holes. Yamaha did not need a 10mm nut if these are properly installed. Thus the shoulder design. The 8mm supplies the sufficient torque. But the hardware store fix I have stated above works great and will help keep you alive.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules