Could it be that simple?

Started by fiddlesticks, September 06, 2004, 07:44:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fiddlesticks

A Week ago my V was running like poop. One cylinder cutting out, irratic idle. Checked everything I could think of to no avail. Decided to change the plugs just for the hell of it. After doing so the V runs like a different bike. The interesting thing is that after removing the spark plug boot we found a mystery screw. Literally under the boot. Cant imagine how it got there. Removed it, and put new plugs in.Could this little screw have caused the idle problems and the cylinder cut out? My theory is that it could. Just curious what everyone else thinks.
 ;D
1 Black 82 Virago 750

"With Frongs like that you don't need anemones"

kiawrench

yes ,, it could be that simple
 ?most likely it was that simple.
 the screw was providing a simpler and shorter path for the spark to travel in than the plug could have, so being a one minded item, the spark was not going to the tip of spark plug, instead it took the shortest possible path ,, the screw

? there is a semi rude one-liner i could insert here, but for the sake of decency i chose not to type it,, lol ..

second point it question, how has the bike fit tasks come along, i know you were looking for a bit better fit, have you redone the seat yet? ?make it lower ,and you will find the bike will become so much more friendly . ga wolf ,his wife ,another short lady biker(seeing red) and i have all dropped our seat by reducing the foam and recovering. it isnt hard to do, and the results can be amazing .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

fiddlesticks

Hi Kiawrench

I havent gotten around  to the seat yet. First on the list was making it run right. Thanks I will definately be trying that seat mod. Its sounds easy enough. I will be posting the results. ;D So far I am really enjoying fixing up this beast. It is a shame there are so few left.
1 Black 82 Virago 750

"With Frongs like that you don't need anemones"

kiawrench

fiddle,
   the easiest modification is usually the best, strip off the cover, strip off the factory foam, pull out all of the original staples.
  1. cover seat with reflective sun shield from any local auto store(for heat protection)
  2. cover seat with two layers of seat foam withcloth backing (from any auto upholstery shop)
  3. cover with your choice of marine grade seat covering (one staple per end, then shape and form from center of each side, finishing with the ends )
 4. you will have to pull the cover sort of tight, or compress it as you form it,i used a large sack of dog food(kibbles) this will keep seat from rising as you shape it .
 5. staples will enter the seat pan much easier if you heat the working edge as you go with a hair dryer, get it warm, staples will drive flush . once done, cover stapled edge with black duct tape or seam tape to prevent any stry staples from scratching paint .
   this is fast easy and effective. it will lower seat to ground distance by at least 4 inches, a big help for shorter riders  
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Walt_M.

Just thinking about that 'mystery screw'. Some owners would remove the resistor in the sparkplug cap and replace it with a piece of welding rod or a cut off screw. The resistor is there to cut out radio interference, not a problem for you, if you don't have a radio. But it can sure annoy the heck out of people in cars around you.
Whale oil beef hooked!