News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Monday ride with Motoracer8

Started by VisionMeister, May 23, 2007, 08:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VisionMeister

I had read some posts from Motoracer, a local V rider from Sacramento.
I've needed someone to ride with on weekdays and who better than another Vision rider.
So we got together Monday morning and talked over coffee and headed out Salmon Falls Rd. around the south side of Folsom Lake. This road has a notorious reputation for claiming sport bikers from Sacramento but has had enough McMansions built to take the edge off of it. Nice pavement, and mixes of sweepers, uphills and down combined with nice scenery made for a great morning ride.
About 25 miles out, its over at the intersection of Highway 49 and you're looking for the next stretch of canyon or ridge road of which there are plenty to choose from.
Motoracer had to head home for commitments and I headed up higher through Georgetown to Wentworth Springs Rd. up to Ice House Road. Wentworth Springs has a stretch of the most beautiful pavement and sweeper combination I've experienced. Lots of traction, smooth and wide shoulders encourage full lean.
At the top, at the intersection with Ice House Rd. you see the Crystal Mountain Range on the west side of Lake Tahoe. This area is great for off-roaders and is the access of the Rubicon Trail from Tahoe. It was a little chilly as it was only about 11:00 am but a stop warms you up fast with the clear skies giving you full sun exposure.
The downhill on Ice House back to Hwy 50 is wide open due to a forest fire about 10 years ago. The pavement is new and the good line of sight encourages you to see how poor your Vision brakes really are entering those downhill turns.
I rode back to the Shenandoah Valley and home via Fiddletown and Volcano and was home by 1:00. 190 miles of traffic free riding.
Thanks Motoracer.