News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Good motorcycle mechanic near West Seattle?

Started by scobu, May 29, 2007, 12:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scobu

Awhile back I laid down my bike and it hasn't run quite right since. I'm pretty inexperienced with working on em so looking for good shops somewhat close to W. Seattle if anybody knows of a couple to suggest. Preferably one that's used to working with Vision quirks.
Thanks!

h2olawyer

Finding a mechanic who knows Vision quirks is a rare thing indeed.  If you really must find a mechanic, try to find one working out of his own small shop.  Local riding clubs that favor sportbikes over Harleys would be a good place to start looking.

There are one or two Visionaries in your general area, but I'm not sure how close to Seattle they are.  If you describe your problems to us, we may be able to help diagnose & fix them.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

YellowJacket!

If you laid your bike down and it wasn't a bad one, it could be as simple as the floats in the carbs being stuck.  A few wel placed taps on the side of each carb will usually loosen then up.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

scobu

It'll start with some grumbling eventually, and it's tough to get it to idle at a constant RPM. Also it was sitting around for about 4 months since I didn't have the cash to work on it.
The fall happened at about 40ish mph and we skidded across a couple lanes of traffic - the truck in front of me thought it'd be nice to dump some dirt on the road, it was a little hairy ;D Broke off the clutch lever and dinged the engine but other than that cosmetic damage was minimal.

I'm pretty newbie at anything mechanic related but willing to give some stuff a shot - have the Haynes '82 workshop manual although the pictures are kinda grainy
Thanks a lot for the input folks ;D Would love to get her back into form for summer~

scobu

wellp took her for a short ride today and it was actually pretty good except for a couple problems. the speedometer isn't reading right, went up to 20 max while I was going around 45. idle is still a bit wonky, I can only get it to stick around 3k rpms with the choke - at riding temperature.
all in all though today was a reminder of why I loved this bike in the first place

kwells

speedo might need a lil lube up in the dash unit.  Sounds like ur facing the almighty carb demons and will probably be cleaning the pilot jet passages in the very least
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

kiawrench

dont forget to test the yics chamber- if it leaks, the bike wont idle ,and it will be very hard to start .  the fix is simple, just type yics in search window, plenty of tips on it there, or go to lucky's site and the process is there .   
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

scobu

cool, I'll give that stuff a shot and let you know how it goes

Mutt

Send Lucky round trip plane tickets and per diem of 30.00 a day. He'll do it.... ;D

Mutt  :)
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Mutt on May 29, 2007, 10:37:16 PM
per diem of 30.00 a day. He'll do it.... ;D

That covers his beer, what's he going to do for food?

scobu

there are a lot of possums and raccoons in the area. he can borrow my shotgun  ;D

oh and I forgot, took it to a mechanic awhile back and he disconnected the YICS. he plugged up the holes - the turd made one of em too big also (rubber tube with a screw on the end wrapped with wire) and it hits the flange for the throttle. guess I'll work on that tomorrow

I was poking around and looks like the carburetor is leaking too. thankfully I'm not working until saturday..