News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Stalls when I shift to first, what's up with that?

Started by Matnique, May 28, 2007, 12:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matnique

Hello everyone, just had my 82 delivered today (my first bike).  She started just fine, I let her idle for a couple of minutes, pull in the clutch all the way, shift to first from neutral and she jerks slightly forward and stalls. I have the clutch pulled in all the way.  Is it time to take her to a mechanic?  :(

ps2/bikevision

sounds like you need to tighten your clutch cable.  these bikes arent known for clutch problems. if she jerked foward then the clutch wasent fully enganged.

pat sullivan

Make sure the side stand is fully up and the side stand switch is working properly.  See page 7.2 and 7.16 in the Yamaha service manual.

Pat S.

inanecathode

Second the clutch cable adjustment. Pull in the clutch with it in first, and lengthen the clutch cable housing until theres very little drag when you're rolling with the clutch in and it's in gear.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

YellowJacket!

Check your oil level too.

Welcome to Riders of Vision!  Before you go spend the big bucks at a mechanic, ask around here first and give it a little time for a reply.  It's a holiday weekend and we are all out either riding or working on our Visions. ;D

In the mean time, tell us a little about you and your Vision.

How many miles, how long it sat without running and what you have done to get it running, and what kind of experience you have wrenching on bikes.

If you have browsed through the site you may have notice that we are a close knit bunch of enthusiasts that love our bikes and helping each other.  ;D

Welcome!

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Matnique

Hello again,  yes, it was the kickstand. I found the owners manual and yes, the V will not run when the kickstand is down, duh.  Thanks, I will now read the manual.  I am totally new to bikes.  I have my permit and am registered to take the MSF in Edison, NJ.  I am (was) a cyclist and have put in many, many miles.  My only complaint about cycling is that I always have to stay to my right, next to the curb and pray that I don't get hit from behind and thereby taking away some of the fun.  If my bike could only keep up with the traffic...and so my interest in motorcycles. 

Right now, I am going to find out how to debug the cooling system as the bike is running hot after just a few minutes.  I will look in the manual and the Haynes book.  Thanks again. :D

Lucky

Visions are sensitive to any air in the cooling system. there is a bleed bolt on the coolant line under the tank.  allow the bike to cool, remove the radiator cap & loosen or remove the bleed bolt.  fill the cooling susten till there is no air left in the system. use a good m/c cooling system coolant (no silica) products like 'water wetter' have had good reviews here.

also clean the contacts on the 2 sensors on the pipes where the bleed bolt is, one if got the guage, one is for the rad fan. (quick test: ground the one for the fan & it should come on) be sure your grounds are clean too. be careful with those sensors, they are expensive to replace....

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Night Vision

Quote from: Matnique on May 28, 2007, 05:39:14 PM

Right now, I am going to find out how to debug the cooling system as the bike is running hot after just a few minutes.  I will look in the manual and the Haynes book.  Thanks again. :D

if you are just sitting there, in the garage, reving the engine ... checking her out... yes, it will get hot after a few minutes.

if you're out on the road, not stuck in traffic, you should be right around 1/2 on the gauge.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano