didnt know what a vision was 4 days ago

Started by coldvision, May 29, 2007, 02:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBS

The continuity test for stator failure can be done with the stator in your hand.  Welcome to the Family.

coldvision

after spending a few dollars, cussing at my bike a bit  i have gotten the starter off and apart.  i think the pre. owner had put loctite on the starter bolts.  after i took it  apart  i saw that it was clean. no oil inside the starter.  oil seal working just fine but one of the o-rings was missing.    so as per everything, everone has said i went to remove the left side engine cover. but i could'nt do it!  more loctite >:(  so today i will try to get a better tool for the job

Lucky

Quote from: coldvision on June 02, 2007, 12:15:40 PMi went to remove the left side engine cover. but i could'nt do it!  more loctic >:(  so today i will try to get a better tool for the job

HA! shoulda used Velcro, lol
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

coldvision

more problems!!!!   oh well  i dont mind so much.  i like seeing my bike in the garage, in pieces while im up to my elbows in oily cat litter........ :-\                           i kinda need to know how much oil do you put in these bikes?  before i try to get to start          4 hours later...   as of now oil filled,,,, tryed to start and now im worse off then i was before.   now all it does is click when i hit the starter..  :( :(       i am about to give up i need some help.  i am not inept  after 2 days  and 20 dollars  working on any old ford motor i can get it running  but im out of ideas on this bike.

Lucky

2.9 (3) quarts

it doesn't take much to wear down a Vision's battery, they won't fire under 10V or so (the electronics won't let it). Plus they need decent craking speed too.  so jump it off a good, non running car battery.

Vision Zen:
When working on a Vision that won't start in the garage, have the door open & the exhaust pipes facing out..... & it has nothing to do with fumes

;) ;) ;D
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Lucky on June 03, 2007, 07:27:31 AM
have the door open & the exhaust pipes facing out..... & it has nothing to do with fumes

And wear ear plugs.

dj

CV - this is an intervention.  Step away from the Vision and go to your happy place before you do something that you regret.  :o Take your time and keep plugging away at it.

I've been working on mine for almost a year now and still don't have it running again.  I do however remember the 2 times I had it on the road and can't wait to ride her again.  These bikes are amazing to ride once you get the gremlins out.  Just remember the longer the gremlins have been in the bike the harder they are to evict.   ;D
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

zore

Quote from: kwells on May 30, 2007, 12:57:37 AM
there are some that 'claim' to have stator issues.  They tell of stories outlining how they burn themselves into a crispy oblivion and cause electrical system failures.  I personally am not yet a believer of these Visionary myths that have spread forth as gospel.  But hey that's just me. 

I mocked all those crying the stator blues as well, up until the bike died going thru a nj parkway toll booth.  I took the headlight fuse out and bumped it and got just enough voltage out of it to make it to work.  Bought a trickle charger at work and charged the battery.  Made it home and took the stator out.  Sure enough, KFC goodness.  Crispy style.  That was at 9k.  I have 13k on it now and a volt meter.  All seems right as rain.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900