Problem with emulsion tube-Fix or buy replacement?

Started by GlennInLouisville, September 02, 2004, 07:51:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlennInLouisville

When loosening the emulsion tube in one of my carbs, half of the head broke off.  I was still able to remove it but I'm afraid to reinstall it with half a head with the fear that I might never get it back out again.  I lost the other half to the head, so if it would have been possible to braze it back together, all hope is gone of that.   :'(
Does anyone know where to buy a replacement tube?  Or, is there another means to modify the tube (by using a dremel and cutting a flat head screw driver slot deeper into the center of the tube?  The tube is marked 180.

Thanks much!

Glenn

Lucky

Yor talking about the screw in one for an 83 right?. you have a couple of narrow options... check with Yamaha, see if you can order one, or have them cross ref the part # & see if you can find a carb more widely available in the boneyard to rob one out of, or find a parts carb & use one out of that (lots of luck there, I have a spare 83 carb I'm Making a float for cause I can't find one...)  

there is a place in Maine that may have one, i've been thinking about calling, but I have to locate the info again. i'll let you know if I find it. if so, i'll split the cost of a carb with you, and we can both fix ours up.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

silicon_toad2000

i dont know about the emulsion tube but I was in my yamaha stealer dealer a couple of weeks ago looking for parts for the carby, you can still order the gaskets, needle/seat and acceperator pump assemblies. They even give you a free heart attack when they tell you the price.
Anyways with all those parts available i rekon you should be able to get the emulsion tube. If you do go down that path, make sure you're sitting down when they give you the price.
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.

GlennInLouisville

Thanks you all. I might be interested in going in on some used `83 carb parts.  Send me an email if you get a quote on a used one Lucky.  Right now it's just the 180 emulsion tube that I would need from it.  Meanwhile I'll look into another solution if I can too.

Thanks, Glenn