Is this what the Starter Clutch should look like?

Started by Evan, June 08, 2007, 09:26:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan

A little (brief) history.

Bought the V in Nov 2005, as a project.  First street bike in 10+ years (had an 81 RD350LC then an 81 Seca 750), and it seemed like a good choice (plus the support group looked good).  It was not running (starter problem previous owner told me).  I rebuilt the starter, rebuilt the carbs (is there an easier way to take the carbs out, other than dropping the engine?). And on July 7, 2006 it was alive for the first time.  Managed to get it started once while my wife was home.  Then it would make a clanking sound when trying to turn-over.

Things got busy at work (promotion, way too much to do, etc), my wife saw someone in the neighborhood had an 82 CB900F that was running, and thought that would get me on two wheels faster, so bought it (in Oct 2006, with the understanding I would be down to one bike by Feb 2007).  After rebuilding the carbs, replacing tires, and the chain, I have been back on 2 wheels for about a month now (getting my ridy-senses back).  But the CB is just so big!  Want to get the V back in operation, to make an "informed" decision.

Dug it out a little to work on it, pulled the starter clutch (followed Lucky's instructions, and yes throw away the Sears bolts and get some M8x1.25x90 or 100s, and use some big washers), and I think I see the problem now.  Looks like the starter clutch cracked, and that is why I could not get it to turn-over properly (not enough pressure from the rollers).

Now, I know I need new bolts, but where to get the clutch housing? I believe it is part number 11H-15580-00-00.

And should I replace some electrical while I am in there (not run long enough to know if there is an electrical problem)?

kwells

Is that a crack I see?  I can't offer any advice as far as the start clutch but it sounds like you have referred to the right place for info and have a head start thanks to Lucky's site.
You dropped the engine to get the carbs out?  wow now that some tenacity.  Many here remove them still intact from the top but I like the separate them from the fuel pump and brackets so that they can be removed individually. Essentially you just have to sort of twist them out so they will clear the fuel lines and frame.  Once everything is loosened up....lines, sync rod, throttle cable, choke rod, and fuel pump and intake manifold clamps, they sort of just rotate out easily.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Evan

Yes in the second picture (from the inside) that is a clearly visible crack, which would change the circumference, and not help in getting it started!  I suspect the thin metal around that piece is to prevent it from flying to pieces after a such a failure.

zore

I'm stilled miffed about the take the engine out to remove the carbs bit.  Did you really do this?  You don't have to, they come out easy enough if you take the fuel pump off.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Evan

RE: dropping engine to get at the carbs.

I did not find an easier way in the Yamaha manual, so I just dropped the engine.  It was January or February 2006, in Houston, which meant I was outside in the driveway in my shorts.  I think it is just part of the price to pay to be in the Vision club!  And it gave me a good excuse to buy a motorcycle jack when I put it back together in June 2006.  3+ hours to drop, 2+ hours to put it back in.

Night Vision

Quote from: zore on June 08, 2007, 01:04:10 PM
I'm stilled miffed about the take the engine out to remove the carbs bit.  Did you really do this?  You don't have to, they come out easy enough if you take the fuel pump off.

they also come out w/o taking the fuel pump off
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

They go in & out easily - but it's kind of like solving a puzzle.  I've done it often enough that I don't even think about it anymore - loosen, lift, twist while holding wire harness out of the way & poof - they're out.

The starter clutch was recently available from Yamaha  Part #11H-15580-00-00  Just checked Speed & Sport - show none available.

Bike Bandit has one - $104.04 + shipping.  Link takes you to an 83 XZ550RK, but it should fit the 82 with no problem.

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/oem_schematic_view~schem_dept_id~632928~section_dept_id~1~section_dept_name~OEM+%28Stock%29+Parts~dept_type_id~2~model_dept_year~1983~model_dept_mfr~Yamaha~model_dept_id~632044~model_dept_name~VISION+-+XZ550RK.asp

Parts Fish (PowersportsPro) has one for $99.87.

http://www.powersportspro.com/partsfish/displayfiche.asp

Always an option if nobody here has a good used one.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

bear in mind if you seperate the carbs to get them out you MUST resynq them.

takes me about 15-20 min to get a set of carbs out whole.

tips:
pull the harness/hoses up & out of the way on both sides
you only have to wiggle it past the carb boots to get it out the left side. get it sideways 7 lift the rear carb up.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

kwells

I've yet to remove my carbs from the bike and not have to open them up so for me separation is a mandatory task and so is the resynch
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

louthepou

By the way, I will sell my used starter clutch for much less than $99...  ;D

(And not, it's not cracked!  ;) )

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

inanecathode

RE: Carb removal

( i know this isnt what you were asking but)
I just loosen the carb to intake straps real well, pull the carbs up and rotate them a bit clockwise (viewing from back) then pull them down and out to the left, front carb first. Make sure the wiring harness is well out of the way.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Evan

Quote from: louthepou on June 08, 2007, 06:17:31 PM
By the way, I will sell my used starter clutch for much less than $99...  ;D

(And not, it's not cracked!  ;) )

Lou - sent you a personal message back.

All - I appreciate the advice on the carbs.  There seems to a consensus, that dropping the engine is not the easiest way  :)

louthepou

Quote from: Evan on June 09, 2007, 08:50:35 AM

All - I appreciate the advice on the carbs.  There seems to a consensus, that dropping the engine is not the easiest way  :)

But it's the COOLEST way...  :D
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Night Vision

Quote from: Evan on June 09, 2007, 08:50:35 AM

no, but I like your style.... If it ain't worth doing it the hard way.......

plus, you're way ahead of the game, if you like droppin the motor, when you go to replace valve shims  :D
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Evan

Today's update

Got home from work, and there in the mail was the package from Lou (yes!) -- knew what I would be working on tonight! As you can see from the picture, this is what a starter clutch (QBS tells me sprag clutch) should look like.  Had the new bolts (M8x16), cleaned everything up.  Red locktight, etc.  Do my best a peening (with a cold chisel).

It is a little difficult to get metallic shavings off a magnetic surface, but did the best I could.

Put it back together (did not put the new gasket in, since I was in a hurry, will do it tomorrow after I change the oil). Drained the carbs, hooked-up the battery, first try, second try, third try, she starts.  Just idling around 1500, and dies when revVing.  Give it a bit of a chance.  After a minute or so, get it to start and rev-up.  A little darkness from the pipes, but no blue.

Got it revVing-up (idle is a _little_ off at 3500rpm), boy does this bike sound good.  Engine warms-up, radiator fan kicks in, check the voltage 13.5-13.9 at the battery (yes!).  Looking good.

Phone my wife (on vacation), so she can hear it run.  She is calling the motorcycles (and especially the V) my mistress, which may be the reason that the first and second time I really got it running, she was on vacation (jealous mistress)!

And I wanted to get that 83 from Dallas, and now (logically) she tells me that I don't need it, since this one runs!

Ran well for about 20 minutes before I shut it down.

I POR'd the tank last year, so just need to put the tank back together, sync the carbs, set the idle, etc.  I may be able to actually take it for a little spin down to the end of the street (especially since it has front brakes now).

Tiger

:) Superb...another resurrection... 8) The Vision really, really needs to be rode on a regular basis to help you "De-bug" her... ;) It wont be long before you can wave "good-bye" to the Honda and just maybe still buy the other Vision... 8) Don't worry about "Logic"... ;D ;D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8) Congrats, now go and ENJOY... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

dj

Good job.  Hope you get everything dialed in soon so you can enjoy the riding season.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Evan

Quote from: dj on June 19, 2007, 07:03:50 AM
Good job.  Hope you get everything dialed in soon so you can enjoy the riding season.

dj, I guess you are not familiar with Houston weather.  Some describe it as two seasons: Summer and August.  August usually starts in June and lasts somewhere into September (until a Canadian Cold front [why are there no Mexican Warm fronts?] comes through and drops the humidity out of the air).  Houston does have winter, and I think this past year it was on either Tuesday or Wednesday.

Needless to say, we are currently mostly in August, and it is the more miserable time to ride (where do I plug-in my A/C suit & helmet?).  August's daily forecast is typically lows in the mid to upper 70's, highs in the mid to upper 90's, similar amount of humidity, with a 30% chance of thunder + showers.

I hope to have much of it working, before needing to go on vacation.  Plus I will need to order some new tires....

dj, I know you have one of the _best_ V's in the world, since it seems to have the most demons!  You are an example to all the newbies.

dj

Quote from: Evan on June 19, 2007, 07:25:47 AM
Quote from: dj on June 19, 2007, 07:03:50 AM

dj, I guess you are not familiar with Houston weather.  Some describe it as two seasons: Summer and August.  August usually starts in June and lasts somewhere into September (until a Canadian Cold front [why are there no Mexican Warm fronts?] comes through and drops the humidity out of the air).  Houston does have winter, and I think this past year it was on either Tuesday or Wednesday.

Needless to say, we are currently mostly in August, and it is the more miserable time to ride (where do I plug-in my A/C suit & helmet?).  August's daily forecast is typically lows in the mid to upper 70's, highs in the mid to upper 90's, similar amount of humidity, with a 30% chance of thunder + showers.

I hope to have much of it working, before needing to go on vacation.  Plus I will need to order some new tires....

dj, I know you have one of the _best_ V's in the world, since it seems to have the most demons!  You are an example to all the newbies.

Didn't realize you were down in the state (should be 4 states, it's big enough to be) of Texas.

I've been down to Texas before (San Antonio area) for Air Force Basic Training (Lackland - and yes it is a sh!t hole), but it was during late February through May.  Was actually really nice considering the day I left it was -40 with the windchill factor on the tarmac at the airport.  It was a nice baumy 55 when I got into the airport.  The only problem with doing it that time of the year was that it put me in Biloxi MS during the entire summer (pure misery).

I guess I can be a good example for all the newbies on how to keep your head down and just keep charging ahead.  I don't know if it is pure stubborness or lack of common sense for why I am still working on her.  I loved riding her the 2-3 times I had her on the road, and just when I think I have gotten the gremlins out of the bike they show up in a different place.

I think my gremlins are resistant to "Gremlin-be-gone" spray.  I spray the bike down with it and I hear lots of laughing! >:(
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Evan

Quote from: dj on June 19, 2007, 07:35:29 AM
Quote from: Evan on June 19, 2007, 07:25:47 AM

I guess I can be a good example for all the newbies on how to keep your head down and just keep charging ahead.  I don't know if it is pure stubbornness or lack of common sense for why I am still working on her.  I loved riding her the 2-3 times I had her on the road, and just when I think I have gotten the gremlins out of the bike they show up in a different place.

I think my gremlins are resistant to "Gremlin-be-gone" spray.  I spray the bike down with it and I hear lots of laughing! >:(

We have a family trait called "too-stupid-to-quit", which helps when dealing with things like this!  At work (real-time software), we tend to sacrifice chickens to demons or gremlins -- most of the time it is the KFC variety.  Not sure if that helps, but I am sure they don't like the rubber variety.  I learned this week that WD stands for "Water Displacement" not "Wooshaway Demons"......  ;)