News:

Main Menu

battery box woes!!!

Started by mdskinner731, June 19, 2007, 07:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdskinner731

on my vision battery box one of the bolts are stuck in the box... when i go to loosen it it just goes round and around (the nut insert in the battery box) how do i fix that???? without cutting the box????
            thanks
                 michael skinner
"he who has the most toys when they die, wins..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if it moves and its not supposed to-duct tape
if it dont move and its supposed to- wd-40
Redneck Law

Lucky

get a screwdriver between the two halves, & apply outward pressure while turning the screw out.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Night Vision

I ran into the same problem.. basically the backing nut spins because the bolt/nut was rusted and it strips out the pastic that was holding the retainer nut...

first off, whenever you are planning on doing some "new work" on a Vision that has sat around for awhile... you need to plan ahead...

soak whatever you are planning on doing with PB Blaster or similar.... also, use small needle nose vice grips, or larger to loosen screws and allens when you can get to them... many screw heads and allen sockets have been destroyed because they are rusted or chemically bonded together....

as far as the battery box goes.... you'll have to find another BUT DO NOT MANGLE THE OUTER COVER OF THE BOX they are harder to find than the inner box that the battery goes in..

I'm sure there are some available here... but my spare also suffered the spinning nut syndrome.. I tried what Lucky said, but it was too late.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

louthepou

I'll be happy to send a spare for a buch or two plus shipping... That kind of problem can be a pain, and there's no shortage of that part.

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Lucky

no need to trash the inner box, go to the hardware store & get a captured or clip nut (used for body bolts)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Night Vision

Quote from: Lucky on June 19, 2007, 09:09:04 PM
no need to trash the inner box, go to the hardware store & get a captured or clip nut (used for body bolts)

the problem is that the nut that the screw goes into is molded into the inner box. once it spins out, game over..

ok, I guess you could drill out the front screw and put in a smaller fixture with a nut on the back, but you couldn't do that to the rear one because you couldn't reach the nut.... you could drill and easy out or re-tap either... or get one from Lou...
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano