Galfer brake line installation with pictures

Started by don_vanecek, June 09, 2007, 02:36:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

don_vanecek

Well about two weeks or so ago "Tiger" showed where you could order the Galfer steel braided brake line from "Sum of all Parts", price about $70.00. I did the order and the line came in the two weeks promised to me. I promptly made an appointment with my older brother down in Omaha who then helped me install the line on Tuesday. There is one bolt that is alittle hard to get too, and we bleed the line the old fashion way, so no pictures of the bleeding. But let me tell you my front brake lever is now "ROCK" solid. Can't say as I've done a panic brake since the instal lation but the brake sure feels more powerful.

The pictures each have a brief note with them-well, the note part doesn't seem to come out.
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s279/dadsvision/P7050007.jpg
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s279/dadsvision/breakline2.jpg
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s279/dadsvision/breakline3.jpg
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s279/dadsvision/breakline4.jpg
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s279/dadsvision/breakline5.jpg
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s279/dadsvision/breakline6.jpg
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s279/dadsvision/breakline7.jpg
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s279/dadsvision/breakline8.jpg

One last comment, it is sure fun workng with that clever brother of mine, I would have never thought of tying the two lines together and then pulling them though, just love to take projects down to him! 

h2olawyer

When bled properly, the steel line(s) give a much better  brake feel.  I was amazed at how much flex there was in the old OEM rubber lines.  Glad you got 'er done before the long ride to the long rides!  You'll become very accustomed to the brake performance by the end of your trip!

Cool trick tying the new line to the old to fish it through the wiring maze up to the master cylinder.  Mine was entirely apart, getting the dual discs / replacement forks when I put it together.  I used the 83 style 1 into 2 split system.  That distribution manifold bolts to the lower triple tree.  Even with everything apart, it was still tough to get that bolt started!

H2O

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

:) Good to know you got sorted out Don... 8) It is one of the best up-grades that can be done to the "V". It makes a HUGE difference to the braking... 8) I installed, on "The Mistress", (an '82),  last year and on "The Canadian", (an '83), late last night, although I still have to bleed off.

??? If your reading this and you haven't up-graded your "V" to the Galfer stainless steel braided brake line(s) yet... :o GET 'ER DONE...it is well worth the investment AND may well save your life... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Brian Moffet

When I put mine in, there was no wiring harness at the time.  I recommend the string method mentioned by Don  :)

Brian

reckon

Quote from: Tiger on June 09, 2007, 08:49:14 AM
:) Good to know you got sorted out Don... 8) It is one of the best up-grades that can be done to the "V". It makes a HUGE difference to the braking... 8) I installed, on "The Mistress", (an '82),  last year and on "The Canadian", (an '83), late last night, although I still have to bleed off.

??? If your reading this and you haven't up-graded your "V" to the Galfer stainless steel braided brake line(s) yet... :o GET 'ER DONE...it is well worth the investment AND may well save your life... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

ok I needed something else to do  :D
"if it's stupid but it works, it's no longer stupid"

Tiger

Quote from: reckon on June 09, 2007, 05:51:42 PM
Quote from: Tiger on June 09, 2007, 08:49:14 AM

8).......TIGER....... 8)

OK I needed something else to do  :D

;D Good for you... ;) I bled them off in under a half hour...as Don...bleed the line the old fashion way... ;D :D :D... ;) and now "ROCK" solid tooOOOOOH!!! says he sliding up the gas tank... ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

don_vanecek

WEll I haven't slid up the tank yet but they feel like they could do it now!

Aelwulf

I've got the Galfer line, just need to get it put on.  I might have to see if samsr will take some more experience abuse for some beer. :D

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

Tiger

Quote from: Aelwulf on June 10, 2007, 05:12:21 PM
I've got the Galfer line, just need to get it put on.  I might have to see if samsr will take some more experience abuse for some beer. :D

:o Make sure he does it right...before you give him a beer...or three ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

kiawrench

i am hoping to update both my rider ,and th eproject bike soon, need to pay some doctor bills , and a few personal ones  first .

as for the beer thing, we all know vision riders never touch "beer" that is what harley riders drink!!    Vision riders consume "wobbly pop". Of course,  stumpbuster juice, ol' joe,  corn likker,  thunder pop, shine, peat squeezin's , and the like are also allowed, if done like a gentleman (wipe the bottle top before passing it ).
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

kwells

dang you have strict rules on bottle passing...
what is the etiquette on bush puking?
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Tiger

:D Depends whos bush yer puking on, Eh!!  :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

don_vanecek

Just pulling this forward, pictures still work.

don_vanecek

Pulling this forward again, pictures still work.

QBS

H2; Thanks for the heads up.  Message removed so as to aleviate potential confusion.

don_vanecek

Just pulling forward again, I don't know how to tie these things, pictures all still work.

kwells

I like to see them

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Kevin

don_vanecek

bumping up. appears all the pictures still work