News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

How does the starter clutch work?

Started by dj, June 09, 2007, 10:19:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Vision

good luck.... now that you're back to square 1  ;D
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

dj

Quote from: Night Vision on June 09, 2007, 10:05:55 PM
good luck.... now that you're back to square 1  ;D

That's just mean and spiteful.  Keep teasing me and I'll chase you down and treat you like a gear puller.   ;)

I put some gas in it.  Sarah only brought home 1.5 gallons, so not much gas is in the tank.  I put it on prime for a few minutes then tried to start it.  It is cranking over pretty good.  Getting a nice guglug guglug sound from the engine trying to start.  I'm not sure if any fuel is really getting into the float bowls though.  I see very little gas in the vacuumm line and lots of air.  I will pick up some more gas tomorrow and fill the tank and see what I can do with it.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

dj

I got some more gas on the way home, but I forgot  to take the jumper cables out of the back of the truck before Sarah left for work.   :-[

So, the tank is filled but I still can't test it.  Looks like I'll be staying up late to see if she wants to start.

How do I know if the gas is actually getting into the float bowls when I put the petcock on prime?  I have a clear hose for the vacuumm line, but I still see a lot of air bubbles in it (more air then gas).
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

h2olawyer

You shouldn't have fuel in the vacuum line - it should all flow through the fuel line.  If it is in the vacuum line, the vacuum diaphragm in the petcock has 'issues'.

To see if you have fuel in the bowls, you need to open the drain screws.  Won't tell if they are full, but it will tell you if there is fuel there.  To test the level, attach a piece of clear tubing to the carb drain outlet, then open the drain screw.  Hold the tubing vertical next to the carb.  The fuel level should be close to the level of the gasket separating the carb body & top.  Check both carbs.  The exact measurement is in the Haynes manual.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

dj

Thanks.  I'll go check the bowls and see if any fuel is in them.

Just checked and there is indeed fuel in both bowls.  I'll be putting the jumper cables on the bike once Sarah gets home and hopefully she cooperates tonight (the bike not the wife).  ;)  Although the wife cooperating would be a plus.   ::)
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

dj

Quote from: Lucky on June 10, 2007, 07:56:53 PM
bump start it DJ...

All by myself, and there is no battery.  I have a couple dead batteries from last year.  I had an old GS1000 that didn't charge properly and it ate batteries up.  Mostly my fault as I never new to run the bike around 3500-4000 rpms while cruising (I always kept it around 2500 so the battery never really fully charged on them).

I don't think my daughter would be able to help me bump start it (she is only six, and the boy is 2).  I'll just have to wait until later unless it is really easy to bump start (never done it before) and if I can find a decent battery to hook up while it is running.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)