News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

I think I've got gremlins

Started by GT @ oh., June 10, 2007, 01:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GT @ oh.

Went riding yesterday for a good while 8)......pleased that the left case I opened for starter clutch bolt repair is still not leaking 8).......filled up gas ...or should I say overfilled... because I go in to pay for gas and get some food come back and theres a puddle under the bike :o  .... yep dissolved that shotty paint job pretty good ::)....now to the gremlins..... apparently the bolts that hold the ignition switch fell out cause I go to put the key in and I push the thing right out :o .......so does anyone know the size bolt  needed to secure the ignition switch .....think I can get to them without removing fairing but we'll see. 

kwells

dont know exactly but here is the part number if you want to get a replacement
97301-06016-00

otherwise unplug the ignition unit and take it to the hardware store for bolt fitment...dont forget to put the lock washers on
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

Ignition switch bolt loss has been talked about before - but not in a while.  I remember checking mine during the discussion & found them both loose.  They had factory lock washers installed.  I used some loctite when I reinstalled them.  I don't recall the size.

You may be able to get to them without removing the fairing.  On pumpkin, I checked them when I tried to tighten the steering bearings.  Loosening up the top triple tree and lifting it up a bit gives you lots more room to work on them.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

:) M8 x 20, if my memory serves me well... ;) Use soc' head cap screw's...like the ones in your engine case covers, a lock washer and a wee bit of BLUE loctite... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

GT @ oh.

Thank you Tiger 8)........ had a feeling you would know ;D. What you guys knew of these gremlins and nobody told me :'(....is there anything else you guys are keeping from me >:( ...is there another V site your seeing :'(.. :D

Kevin

Tiger your memory fails you, it's 6mm X 20 mm..I agree with you,a  alen head bolt is easier to install it the recessed hole.   

Tiger

Quote from: Kevin on June 11, 2007, 06:16:17 PM
Tiger your memory fails you, it's 6mm X 20 mm..I agree with you,a  alen head bolt is easier to install it the recessed hole.   

:o Ooooop's...M8 will fit if you use a BFH !!!  ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D.... ;) Sorry about the misstook :-[

M6 x 20mm Soc' head, Allen drive, cap screw's x 2

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

GT @ oh.