News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Gas Tank Repair

Started by kellybecraft, June 11, 2007, 04:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kellybecraft

I have a leaking gas tank.  It is leaking in quite a few spots.  I was wondering if it can be welded or repaired for under $600 dollars.  I can buy one from Yamaha for that price pianted and ready to go.  Is it worth it to repair these tanks or not.  Just wondering, Thanks

kwells

some people braise them or JB Weld but I think it depends on the size of the holes.  Your tank will definitely also have to be lined with POR15 or similar.  It actually isnt an expensive process fixing the tank but can take some time to get it right.  How's the paint?  Lots of things to consider but if you have 600 bucks burning a hole that would definitely be the quick and dirty way of getting the job done....even so...would still put a tank liner in before installation to prevent future rust.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

QBS

Welcome to the forum.  Do an archive search under POR, then decide.  Cheers.

Night Vision

Quote from: kellybecraft on June 11, 2007, 04:52:15 PM
I have a leaking gas tank.  It is leaking in quite a few spots.  I was wondering if it can be welded or repaired for under $600 dollars.  I can buy one from Yamaha for that price pianted and ready to go.  Is it worth it to repair these tanks or not.  Just wondering, Thanks

depends how bad the tank is, what your skills are, what your risk tolerance is, if the OEM tank matches your existing color and if you really want to spend $600

if there are only minor pin holes, the tank can be "fixed" for around $50.. .permanent? maybe...see risk tolerance

if it's totally trashed...... you can get a nice one from ebay.de for $100, $200? same color? probably not... cost to paint? $10-$$$?

last I saw an OEM tank available was $750.00...

$600? that's about the "purchase" price for my first Vision, and some pops....
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Scott_Mc

Quote from: kellybecraft on June 11, 2007, 04:52:15 PM
I have a leaking gas tank. ...
Welcome to Vision ownership LOL :(

Depending onhow bad it is, whether or not it would need to be painted after the repair and how much you are going to ride it, might be worth going new if it comes all finished.   Quick easy, plug and play install!  Plus you could sell your old tank cheap here maybe.

Quote from: Night Vision on June 11, 2007, 08:46:43 PM

last I saw an OEM tank available was $750.00...

AYFKM?  750, yikes!  I was not even sure they were still available! 

Owned an `82 XZ for 22(?) years!
Current 2-`85 and 1-`86 GS1150E/ 1-`85 GS700ES
Wanted:-ST1300 :-O !!

Aelwulf

I've been to several dealerships around here and although a couple said one or two were available ranging from $750-900 they all wound up saying couldn't get 'em, discontinued.

Acetone, JB Weld & POR-15/Caddman's (think that's the other one?).  Knock on wood that's all you'd need if I remember right.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

YellowJacket!

I posted a couple threads about repairing my tank and prepping a brand new (unused) tank.  To find a new tank, search ebay, but do a worldwide search instead of just the US.  I found a NOS tank in Germany for around $300.00.  I have also seen some other decent ones as well.
I took a multifaceted approack to repairing my tank.  First I stripped and POR'd it and all was fine.  about a year later, it started to leak.  I tried JB Weld first but it would eventually give out and start leaking again.  For my BD last year, Lucky took my tank and got some of the bigger holes welded, but more began to leak shortly after that. (in retrospect, I think I may have gotten a really bad tank of gas - lots of water?)  Anyway, I went out and bought a tube of fuel tank sealer which is some type of metallic epoxy.  I had to sand down all the leaks first to open them up and roughen the surface a bit.  Then I pushed the tank sealer through the holes and really worked it in.  I worked in layers, sanding between each one and smoothed it out when finished.  My final sealer, which I don't think anyone else tried here, was to spray on a can of "truck bed liner" to form a barrier under the tank. (it looks pretty cool too)  Since doing so, there has not even been a hint of a leak (oops....I just awakened a whole family of gremlins).
FrankenTank, the new tank I got from Germany was cherry. Brand New, albeit 25 years old in the original box and never had seen any fluid in it before.  It had the original factory seals on it as well and was apparently airtight.  When I opened it up, there was not a hint of rust anywhere.
I used a POR 15 kit to prep it anyway and sealed it.  I also stripped all the orioginal "Euro" paint off and prepped and primed it for painting which it is going out for today. ;D

So, unless your tank has huge holes in it, it can be repaired.  It just may take a little work, but it is usually cheaper than buying a new tank.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Night Vision

Quote from: Aelwulf on June 12, 2007, 10:50:37 AM
I've been to several dealerships around here and although a couple said one or two were available ranging from $750-900 they all wound up saying couldn't get 'em, discontinued.

correct, they can't get them from the "parts warehouses" I think there are three of them... anyway, there are a couple of tanks available at speed and sport if your pockets run deep.

I got a whole paint set (tank, fenders, plastics) from Germany for around $300. The tank didn't have the seal on it, but I doubt it ever had gas in it.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

shapinoweno

how do you do a worldwide search on ebay. i went to ebay.de and found some tanks but is there a way to search from regular ebay?

Rick G

I'm amazed anyone succeeded in welding a vision tank. An alternative method is to   sand the affected area  and "tin " it , apply a thin coat of 50/50 solder , with a tinners iron ,  ( a large soldering copper , used by sheet metal workers)
Its heated over a gas flame and will hold the heat for quite a while.You will need a suitable, acid flux also. Next  tin a piece of brass shim stock, that you have cut to shape, then apply the shim stock to the tinned area like you would use a  steam iron , adding a bit of solder  to provide a finished look.
Finally flush the area inside and out with a baking soda solution, inside and out, to neutralize the  acid.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

KENFOLLETT

In Italy we use a product called "tankerite", i don't know if there's something equal in the state.

Translation from italian site www.tankerite.com:
Tankerite is a bi-component resin specifically formulated in order to resist to the benzine forming an anticorrosive inner covering of the tanks.

You can see how it works here: http://www.tankerite.com/esempi-di-utilizzo/7.html

Ken.

YellowJacket!

Hey ken,

I love that "Vision Restoring Time" in your sig line.  Thats great!

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

treedragon

I see  http://thekneeslider.com is featuring an article using home electrolysis to deal to the rust, it's about halfway down the current home page. Coat hanger wire, washing soda and a battery........

h2olawyer

The Tankerite looks a lot like the Caswell Plating product - red resin.  It is as effective as POR-15 - maybe even moreso.

I wonder if anything would be left of many of our Vision's tanks if we tried the electrolysis on them!   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

GT @ oh.

I used JB weld on smallish holes in the lower corners with success...they were bigger than a pin head but smaller than say a pea......sealed the inside and had no problems.

h2olawyer

I used the JB Weld successfully as well.  Even had some largish holes -- 1/8 inch or so.  Lined with an off-brand version of POR-15 type stuff.  Holding up just great so far!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

Ken, I really liked the picture of the Moto Guzzi Falcone 500, wonderful old bike!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

motoracer8

I like the Caswell product better than POR, I think it adhears better. I have used it on steel, fiberglass, and plastic, all with good success.

Ken G.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British