Spark plug wires and caps, not available from the stealer, how to build them?

Started by dj, June 12, 2007, 06:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dj

Well, I tried the trick with the ether and it didn't start.  I pulled the spark plug wires and checked them no continuity between the ends.  Unscrewed the cap from the wire and tested the wire (good) and tested the caps (one showed 12kOhms and the other is a solid open).

Called the stealer up and they don't have anything for the assemblies with out buying the whole coil package for 150 bucks.  All I need is new caps.  Can I get generic automotive ones, or do I need to see about getting caps made for another bike?  Please advise.  Thanks.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

dj

2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

dj

Quote from: Lucky on June 12, 2007, 06:49:07 PM
i'd try your friendly neighborhood bike shop first

There closed right now, but the autoparts store stays open till 9.  I'll ask them, and if not then I'll call the bike shop in the morning.  Thanks.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Tiger

:) DO NOT...repeat...DO NOT use automotive caps/wires. I have bought three set's, plug's/wire's/cap/s, from a local bike shop. The wire comes on a roll and they sell it by the yard...All in all, I paid something in the region of $25.00... :)

When I started to pull the three Vision's apart, that I have re-built... Gas tank off, air box, carb's, etc...along with ALL the hoses, Gas/vacuum, etc) the plug wire's/cap/s AND spark plug's have all gone straight into the garbage bin...in each case they where original O.E.M wires/caps !!!

WHY don't people change them, especially something so inexpensive...Some of you guys will pay for top of the line spark plug's and settle for shite wires/caps...a bit like buying an expensive sound system and using cheapo wire and antenna...

>:( Sorry about the rant dj... ::)

>:(.......TIGER.......  :(
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

dj

Quote from: Tiger on June 12, 2007, 06:52:25 PM
:) DO NOT...repeat...DO NOT use automotive caps/wires. I have bought three set's, plug's/wire's/cap/s, from a local bike shop. The wire comes on a roll and they sell it by the yard...All in all, I paid something in the region of $25.00... :)

When I started to pull the three Vision's apart, that I have re-built... Gas tank off, air box, carb's, etc...along with ALL the hoses, Gas/vacuum, etc) the plug wire's/cap/s AND spark plug's have all gone straight into the garbage bin...in each case they where original O.E.M wires/caps !!!

WHY don't people change them, especially something so inexpensive...Some of you guys will pay for top of the line spark plug's and settle for shite wires/caps...a bit like buying an expensive sound system and using cheapo wire and antenna...

>:( Sorry about the rant dj... ::)

>:(.......TIGER.......  :(

Not a problem Tiger.  If I would have tossed the old ones from the beginning I wouldn't have been working on things for almost a year.  Never even crossed my mind to check the caps.  That has probably been my starting issue from the beginning.  I have new caps on order and I'll be getting new wire as well.  Should be in by thursday (the owner of the bike shop was actualy still in the shop).  I feel like an idiot for not checking them sooner.   :-[ :'(
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

YellowJacket!

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Night Vision

make sure you get the right plugs too, eh?

DO NOT...repeat...DO NOT use resistor plugs with resistor caps  ;)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiger

Quote from: Night Vision on June 12, 2007, 08:23:06 PM
make sure you get the right plugs too, eh?

DO NOT...repeat...DO NOT use resistor plugs with resistor caps  ;)

...and wire's...:-[ I resemble that remark... :-[  ;D :D :D :D :D... ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!