News:

Main Menu

Tires of choice?

Started by Tanno, June 12, 2007, 10:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanno

What tires have you guys found to work best for the Vision? And what kind of weather are you making this judgement?
Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

kwells

I just picked up a set of Avon Super Venoms and hopefully can get them mounted tomorrow.  H20 is also running them as well as a few others.  BOth H20 and I are both in the CO area.

There are others of course.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Night Vision

since Avon has discontinued the Super Venoms and Road Runners, and until enough peeps try the new "universal" ones, there isn't a whole lot of choice in stock sizes....

Dunlops and Bridgestone both have decent tires at decent prices.
if you go up to a 120 on the rear, Metzelers are another choice, but pricey...
there are others, that I'm sure would suffice if it weren't for some egos  ::)

right now, best bang for your buck? I'd get a set of Bridgestone Battlaxs 100 front, 110 rear...
I haven't heard any bad reviews on them.... rode some on Sunday and they had lots of reserve I didn't get close to using...

I don't think you'd be disappointed....

but, if you wanna test and report on the new Avons for us...  :D
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

kwells

Avon SuperVenoms are being discontinued but currently still available from http://www.onoffroad.com
if you do settle on those as 'The Ones'
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

Had the Super Venoms out late last summer on a ride over Snowy Range Road in Wyoming.  I rode in heavy, cold rain on wide freshly paved sweepers at 65 to 80 without a slip.  They also held well in tighter stuff at 30ish.  When the road had a layer of very wet slush, they still held on at 15 - 20.  Could have gone faster, but my face shield was icing over as fast as I could wipe it off!  On dry pavement, they are glue.  I have about 2700 miles on them so far & expect they should last for about another 3,000 miles.  Higher wear rate is the price you pay for grip.

Pirelli Sport Demon is another tire to consider.  Pumpkin will get new shoes this fall & they will likely be the new Avon Road Riders.  It's currently wearing the Cheng Shin Hi-Max tires I was running on my Silver V.  Those are decent budget tires and will put up with quite a bit of water as well.  My main concern about them is the carcass construction - worried about hitting a pothole or other sharp object & causing structural failure.  The carcasses of better brands (Avon, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Metzeler, Dunlop) ARE normally stronger.  The Cheng Shin (Cheap Skin) Hi-Max was a cheap copy of the Metzeler ME33 of the early & mid 1980s.  When I swapped to the Super Venoms, I did the work myself.  The Avons have a more substantial feel than the CS tires.  Sidewalls are firmer and the tread is deeper on the Avons.  The beads are also more difficult to get on the rims - but neither brand is terribly difficult to mount.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

zore

I have a set of BT45's waiting to be mounted but I'm lazy.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Tiger

:) Avon SuperVenoms are the way to go. However, I've rode with the BT45's the last two years before fitting the Avon's...and they worked well.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

zore

I went with the bt45's because I didn't want to buy and get used to a tire that wouldn't be available next year when I put another set of tires on.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

kiawrench

i run pirrelli interstates,, front and rear , but only because i didnt pay for them.
they turn to crap in less than 1000 miles

best bet- bt45s or a set of avons

my next tire buy--  a set of each,   but am tinkering with the idea of size matching the project bike , sort of modified bobber look .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .