News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Here's my "new" bike that I'll be picking up in a few weeks.

Started by dj, June 18, 2007, 12:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dj

It is a "running" 82 (needs the carbs cleaned) that has an erratic idle.  Sable checked it out for me last week and it's not a compression leak, so that leads me to believe that the carbs are gunked up.  Has anybody every seen a V with dirty carbs before???  ::) ;D

With the exception of the back part of the frame it is black from head to toe (even the windshield is black).  It has the 83 full fairing on it, but the flapper vents don't work right (the handle is broke off).

Need to redo the seat and get some mirrors for her, but other then that all the bells and whistles work.  I'll be picker her up in 3 or 4 weeks, maybe sooner but probably not.

I'll be posting the pics in a few minutes.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

dj

2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

dj

2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

dj

2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

dj

2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

dj

2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Night Vision

someone stole the fuse box!

yep, it's black alright... looks like it needs some lovin' too!
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

dj

Quote from: Night Vision on June 18, 2007, 01:23:38 PM
someone stole the fuse box!

yep, it's black alright... looks like it needs some lovin' too!

There isn't a fuse box anymore.  The previous previous owner replaced the fuse box with inline buse fuse holders (can't see them in the photo though).

Yup on the lovin' part.  Tank has a dent in the top of it that I hope to be able to pull out.  Need to replace the mirrors.  Clean the carbs.  Reupholster the seat.  Get an R/R for it, the old one can't be used.  Don't know if it is actually bad or not as someone cut the wires to it and they are to short to splice back together. And anything else that needs to be done to it to get her on the road.

From what Sable said it cranks strong and after about 30-40 seconds the idle starts to hunt around.  Probably gunk in the carbs is messing with the fuel flow.  I've got a spare set of carbs that I can put in her and see if that helps the idle issue, but I wont know that until I get her home.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Tiger

:) Doesn't look bad at all...She is black!!!...and as N_V posted, in need of some T.L.C. However, you should be able to get to riding her pretty quickly. The cosmetics can be done over the winter... ;) Go get her and get her on the road... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

dj

Quote from: Tiger on June 18, 2007, 04:07:59 PM
:) Doesn't look bad at all...She is black!!!...and as N_V posted, in need of some T.L.C. However, you should be able to get to riding her pretty quickly. The cosmetics can be done over the winter... ;) Go get her and get her on the road... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

If I don't have the blue and silver one on the road by the time I pick this one up then I'll be loaning the mirrors from her to the black one and putting the spare set of carbs on her until I can get the other set cleaned up.  Should run fine after that.  Sable looked her over very carefully and didn't find any vaccum leaks anywhere in the hoses, so should be just dirty carbs and I'll be changing out the plugs and caps.  Already have a set of NGK D8EA's set aside for her, just need to order another set of caps in a few weeks so that they'll be ready to pick up and put right onto her.

I already promised my wife that shortly after getting the black one that I'll at least have a "frankenV" put together and on the road.  I hope it doesn't come to that, but it wouldn't be perminent.  Both of these bikes will be road ready and not ever hear the term PARTS BIKE as long as I own them and I have the means to fix them.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Tiger

Quote from: dj on June 18, 2007, 04:13:10 PM
... Both of these bikes will be road ready and not ever hear the term PARTS BIKE as long as I own them and I have the means to fix them.

8) Superb...One of the nice thing about having two...or more...Vision's, is that you can, during the season swap parts around to keep you on-the-road. During the off season you can put together all the required part's for a complete paint job, or what-ever. By the spring you would then have your #1 Vision 0n-the-road for all to see... 8)...and you can then concentrate on the #2 "V"...when your not riding #1, of course ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Night Vision

best part of having two or more V's is: being able to see how things go back together   ;)
;D

Cdnlouie

Way to go NV! You gotta get some more New York Visions on the map. Not sure what you are going to do with the seat, but those covers are available. I think I have a couple of sources if you go that route.

Talk to you soon,

CDNL

dj

Quote from: canadianlouie on June 18, 2007, 09:53:34 PM
Way to go NV! You gotta get some more New York Visions on the map. Not sure what you are going to do with the seat, but those covers are available. I think I have a couple of sources if you go that route.

Talk to you soon,

CDNL

CDNL - that is going to be my bike.  I'll definetely be redoing the seat, not sure right now how I'll go about it but it will get done.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Night Vision

;D

Tiger

;) and the question is...Which famous group had a hit with "Paint it.... ;D :D :D :D... ;)

dj

Quote from: Tiger on June 18, 2007, 10:29:18 PM
;) and the question is...Which famous group had a hit with "Paint it.... ;D :D :D :D... ;)

Would the song title be Paint it black???  Not sure of the group (Rolling Stones would be my guess, but it was way before my time so I'll let the older guys answer)
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

YellowJacket!

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

dj

Quote from: DaveTN on June 18, 2007, 10:51:32 PM
Da Stones!  ;D

David

So does that mean the young fart (as opposed to old fart) got the guess right???
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

YellowJacket!

Am I the "young Fart"?  ;D  ;D

Hey DJ,
I have been wanting to see some pics of a black V motor for a long time!  I have been toying with the idea of doing it to mine.  ;D

Thanks

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)