News:

Main Menu

this is gonna hurt.....

Started by coldvision, June 29, 2007, 04:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coldvision

that was my thought a few hours ago.  some of you know i have a dirt bike to haul myself to work  untill winter  but  now i'll have to drive my truck.   i got off of work and took a back road home   untill i saw this nice litttle trail  leading off into the woods.    so i start jetting down the trailat about 35   going thru  blind corners left and right    then BAM!  next thing i know i'm stareing at the sky  head pounding i get up,  looking for my bike, i see this 6inch tree half fallen over  right were my head is at when i'm on the bike.      i find my bike next to a tree not running.  so i pick it up, look at it   and just let it fall right back down into the grass,  and get my unbroken cell out of my bag and call my friend jerri to get his pickup and take me and my bike home.      my guess is it hit a tree almost dead on because the front tire was just about under the engine.  the handle bars twisted and  it wouldnt even kick over.  as for me i didnt know anything was wrong untill jerri got there.  i have now about a 5 inch cut from my right ear down to my mouth, bloodly nose  and my right eye hurts to move....  all in all not bad for not wearing a helmut.
just knowing that i wont ride again this summer   really puts me down       on a happy note i'm no worse to look at then before!

YellowJacket!

You need to see a doctor.  Seriously.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

inanecathode

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Tanno

And to think a broken helmet would be cheaper to replace.
Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

kiawrench

ok tanno, i am supposed to be the accident prone one on this forum--- wait, after the last one i did,, you can take that position,    sorry to hear, hope it heals well, and really watch for possible infection-- then get back on two wheels .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Lucky

I think i can safely say everyone here abides by the rule ATGATT. All The Gear, All The Time.  (as best as you could afford) i'm pretty sure that anyone without a helmet on a Vision Group Ride would be asked to stay behind...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

kwells

yah it's a tough sell trying to convince me u dont need a helmet.  I live in CO so I see tons of drivers wearing nothing but leather gloves and tshirts and the passenger has a leather tube top.  I pull up to them covered from head to toe and I shake my head as I pull away in disbelief.  No offense but you're lucky you just got a gash dude.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Tiger

Quote from: Tanno on June 29, 2007, 01:54:12 PM
And to think a broken helmet would be cheaper to replace.
....and LESS painfull ::) No disrespect but I can't understand why anyone would ride with-out a helmet...on or off road.

Remember...There are two types of rider's...Those that have had an accident AND those who are going to have one :o ;D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Aelwulf

Most of the ones I see down here have on jeans and a t-shirt or long-sleeved cotton shirt, or t-shirt and shorts, neither with helmets.  Some do wear 'em, and once in a blue moon I'll see someone else in full gear.  I pretty much do the same as you.  I've got a full helmet picked out I'd like to get but it's a bit pricey so savin' up along with new tires.  My current one will have to do until then. :)

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

YellowJacket!

I think that you knew when you posted this that you would open yourself up to some criticism.  What made you want to ride off road on a trail without a helmet??!!
After 20 years of working in ICU/CCU and ER, I have not seen one person who has not inflicted serious injury on himself while riding without a helmet.  No matter how "hard headed" some people can be, when you are on a 2 wheeled mode of transport without a helmet and fall off, the solid object you come in contact with is going to cause some serious pain and injury.
I hope you are OK. Next time, wear a helmet and appropriate gear.

David

coldvision

well  i knew some criticism would come.   and i have no problem with that.  i would wear a helmet and gear   but  i dont have any  my helmet is still busted from the last run in with a solid object  as for other gear   i've never had any.         

inanecathode

It's also your freedom to not wear a helmet too you know.
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

visionless

Quote from: coldvision on July 01, 2007, 03:57:33 PM
well  i knew some criticism would come.        

Not criticism, concern for a fellow rider.
                  Chris
When a whole nation is roaring Patriotism at the top of its voice, I am fain to explore the cleanness of its hands and purity of its heart.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

'05 Katana 750    '82 XZ550
See 12 Visions all in a row!
http://www.myspace.com/ccoyle6731

YellowJacket!

Quote from: visionless on July 02, 2007, 11:35:45 AM
Quote from: coldvision on July 01, 2007, 03:57:33 PM
well  i knew some criticism would come.        

Not criticism, concern for a fellow rider.
                  Chris

Ditto.

Well said Chris.

David

coldvision

this is hurting as bad as i would have thought..    my honda is running again..pulled the plug, kicked her a few times, replaced (new) plug  started right up    as for the forks..  met a guy in town today  with a few older dirtbike frames and parts    a few dollars later   my garage now holds 6 bikes....  this weekend i should be able to put together monster bike and run the thing up and down another trail  next tree i will duck   no all i have to worry about is the sand washouts..

Tanno

You're going to do this new ride w/ all the correct PPE, right?
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

coldvision

well... maybe not all ppe  but i might wear more then i have....  gloves helmet and pants.....  at least

Tanno

That's a definitely a start.

louthepou

Anyone heard of the Darwin Awards?

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

h2olawyer

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.