News:

Main Menu

Helmets Helmets Helmets!!

Started by [jh], June 30, 2007, 02:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haunter

CL-15 and a Scorpion EXO-400

the scorpion had posh'er inards, but the finish of the HJC everywhere else is better than the Scorpion, I couldnt keep it fogless at all this winter, hopefully the HJC does better come winter

always check newenough.com

about the best prices of anywhere you can find
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

X-Vision

One word "ARAI" They have the right one for everyone. Look for models that have been discontinued for the best deal.

X-Vision

Take a look here "www.sierra-mc.com"

Aelwulf

Kinda likin' the Icon Domain one too.  Still need to check out the other links. :)

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

h2olawyer

I haven't found any helmet that doesn't fog up in cool weather.  The HJC was really bad at that.  The Shoei does, but de-fogs quicker when moving.  I tried Fog-X and it helped a lot.  Still have some fogging when slow or stopped & the temps are in the 40s (F) or lower.

Have heard good things about Fog City visor liners.  Haven't tried them yet, but may give one a go this fall.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

QBS

Try rubbing in a little bit of shaving foam onto the inside of your face shield with a soft cloth.  Rub it until the foam disappears.  First check it out on an old trashed face shield to make sure the plastic will remain undamaged.  An alternative to shaving foam is liquid detergent.  Use very little and rub more.

Aelwulf

This is the one I wound up going with.  It's based on the Mainframe I was looking at with the skulls and limited to a run of 4000.  Most places only have Small & X-Small left.

https://www.bikebandit.com/product/6145

There's also the counter model, similar story.

https://www.bikebandit.com/product/6144

If I had the funds I'd get both just because. ;) The Saint/Sinner 'censor' decals come off if you choose.

They also have a promo code on 'em that cuts $100 off the price.  It's PRSINNER for the Sinner one, I'd presume it's PRSAINT for the other if they have on but not sure if they do or not.

*thunk*
What was that?!

[jh]

well, the verdict is in............................. I have made my choice. After careful consideration and many many helmets later(my face hurts) I have chosen a Arai Vector. Although it was not my first choice as far as style goes it was by far the most cumfy helmet on my head. Runners up....... Shoei RF-1000 Joust Black and grey, it had a little bit of everything, style comfort, and price. Icon mainframe seem to have the most bang for your buck, it looked really cool, it is a well made helmet, and comfort wasn't bad. In the end the difference between the Arai and the above was just to much(no good paint jobs though, I went with matt black).

wow!

packman85

Quote from: zore on July 01, 2007, 09:28:21 AM
I had been looking for the article that was written on helmet crash tests but couldn't find it.  Turns out that (going by the data) the cheapest helmet offered the best protection.  I believe it was a scorpion of some sort.  If i can find the article I'll post it. 

Don't blow off the sub-100$ helmets totally.  My z1r Strike (-90$) saved my life this weekend.  I laid my vision down at around 50mph and smacked my face on the pavement.  If it weren't for my cheap ass helmet I would no longer have a chin.  Here is the article Zore was thinking about, I think. http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/

The helmet fits me great and beat out a lot of the high priced helmets.  Im cheap, what can I say.  But I was very impressed with how well the helmet reacted, I barely felt my head hit.  Just my 2 cents.  If you do your research sometimes youll find cheaper is better, sometimes.  Also, the Hein Geiricke Tricky leather jacket is amazing, after sliding 20 feet there's barely a scratch on it and it save me from major road rash, GO COWHIDE!!!
"Real men don't need full fairings, go naked or go home!!"

inanecathode

It's worth mentioning as well that the DOT rating helmets get isnt for show, it actually does mean the helmet is safe. Snell is something else all together, but dot helmets are actually tested.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

zore

Quote from: packman85 on July 09, 2007, 01:54:26 PM
Quote from: zore on July 01, 2007, 09:28:21 AM
I had been looking for the article that was written on helmet crash tests but couldn't find it.  Turns out that (going by the data) the cheapest helmet offered the best protection.  I believe it was a scorpion of some sort.  If i can find the article I'll post it. 

Don't blow off the sub-100$ helmets totally.  My z1r Strike (-90$) saved my life this weekend.  I laid my vision down at around 50mph and smacked my face on the pavement.  If it weren't for my cheap ass helmet I would no longer have a chin.  Here is the article Zore was thinking about, I think. http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/

The helmet fits me great and beat out a lot of the high priced helmets.  Im cheap, what can I say.  But I was very impressed with how well the helmet reacted, I barely felt my head hit.  Just my 2 cents.  If you do your research sometimes youll find cheaper is better, sometimes.  Also, the Hein Geiricke Tricky leather jacket is amazing, after sliding 20 feet there's barely a scratch on it and it save me from major road rash, GO COWHIDE!!!

This was exactly the article I was looking for.  I would welcome all of you to read it.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Aelwulf

Quote from: inanecathode on July 09, 2007, 02:09:20 PM
It's worth mentioning as well that the DOT rating helmets get isnt for show, it actually does mean the helmet is safe. Snell is something else all together, but dot helmets are actually tested.

Yeah, that's one reason I didn't mind getting mine.  It's a half instead of a full and was around $80 (AFX brand) but it is DOT certified so had to have been sufficiently tested.

*thunk*
What was that?!

QBS

AW, are we to understand that you are not purchasing a full coverage helmet?

zore

I believe this is it.  I borrowed one of these once. It saved me from a horrible rocking chair accident at Deals Gap.

All kidding aside boys and girls.  Lets keep our wits about us.  I got to see a harley rider planted face first on the pavement as he crashed into a cargo van.

1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

h2olawyer

A former neighbor & Harley rider once told me that full face helmets were neck breakers.  This same neighbor broke his leg severely when trying to kick start his bike.  Most protection I ever saw on his head when riding was a bandanna.   ::)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

ColinthePilot

As far as trying them out, when I took the basic rider course, the instructor told us any reputable helmet dealer will let you try it on for 20-30 min and you'll know if it fits well after 10 min.
Colin
It pissed me off, so I jammed a screwdriver into it, hit it with a hammer, and spun it around with a pair of vice grips. Let that serve as a warning

kwells

guess he should have been wearing that bandana on his leg eh?
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Aelwulf

Quote from: QBS on July 09, 2007, 08:25:47 PM
AW, are we to understand that you are not purchasing a full coverage helmet?

Nope, I'm getting a full (the Sinner one linked above).  I just originally bought a half POW one a few years ago and it's what I've been riding with the past couple of weeks with my Oakley Juliets.  Sinner should be here about Wednesday. :)

*thunk*
What was that?!

kwells

I see that although he bashed his head, he was able to save the beer in its upright position.  Maybe that helmet needs to be rethought in its usefulness afterall.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Aelwulf

Bah, noggins can be thumped a bit (I've done mine enough in various ways) but a beer bottle's likely to break.  Gotta have priorities man! :D

*thunk*
What was that?!