Helmets Helmets Helmets!!

Started by [jh], June 30, 2007, 02:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

mdskinner731

i kinda wanna get this helmit and have hand painted pinstripes on it like my bike has... dark blue, baby blue and, white
http://www.indysuperbike.com/image.php?productid=115898
"he who has the most toys when they die, wins..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if it moves and its not supposed to-duct tape
if it dont move and its supposed to- wd-40
Redneck Law

[jh]

I tried the Icons on alot because I really liked the look, but they are super uncomfortable.
wow!

Aelwulf

On the one I got the cheek pads are a bit snug if I don't have my teeth together, but I'm figurin' that part will ease up a bit after wearin' it a while.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

Night Vision

different helmets fit different heads differently.... don't buy or not buy a helmet based on someone else's fit to their bean.... try it on youself

I let CndLouie try on my Shoei RF-1000.... same size (large) but different fit than his older RF
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

[jh]

it's true, I tried a bunch of helmets that fit well, but once I tried the Arai Vector, the difference was unbelievable, even up against their top model.
wow!

Riche

Take a look at Simpson...

I am on my second Simpson street helmet.
Gentlemen, I'm very sorry if someone has already recomended Simpson.. I have limited time tonight (LOL like always) and only read the first few post.  :-[

h2olawyer

Simpson makes excellent gear.  Tough to find their motorcycle helmets, but well worth the look.  A friend had a crash in the mid 80s on his GPz550 (the same one I used to get my MC license).  Forced off the Interstate by a truck changing lanes.  He went into the median and the front tire hit a large rock, launching him over the bars.  He was wearing an early version Simpson Bandit.  It was broken up pretty bad, but he suffered a very minor concussion, a collapsed lung, cracked vertebra, broken ribs and lots of cuts / bruises.  He hasn't ridden since the accident, but would highly recommend that helmet to anyone.  The chin bar was almost entirely torn off - a couple layers of fiberglass were still holding on on one side.  The right side was pretty well eggshelled as well.  Said he doesn't remember anything from his initial impact until the State Trooper was there talking to him and he had a headache for a day or two.  Pretty good for a headfirst impact with the ground at around 60 MPH.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

zore

Truth be told, trying on other peoples helmets may or may not give you a good idea what your new helmet will fit like.  Helmets break in and conform to the lumps and shape or miss shape of your head.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Night Vision

I would not buy a helmet thinking it would "break in" to fit...

I had a KBC helmet that never "broke in". after a year the cheekpads were still too tight... even after a an additional winter of compression under barbells....

the helmet C_L tried on was nearly new... same size... only different

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

zore

I guess my helmets might get more use than most since I ride almost every day.  My shoei went from good fitting to loose in 3 years.  My HJC I got in october was probably a bit snug for me but now fits perfectly.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Riche

"My shoei went from good fitting to loose in 3 years. "

Zore, did you try changing the beer can? That could be why the helmet is loose. Or maybe the metal in the can is thinner?  :)

Aelwulf

Quote from: zore on July 19, 2007, 09:04:19 AM
I guess my helmets might get more use than most since I ride almost every day.  My shoei went from good fitting to loose in 3 years.  My HJC I got in october was probably a bit snug for me but now fits perfectly.

That's what I'm hopin' for on mine.  It's not painfully uncomfortable or anything, just a smidge annoying once in a while.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)