News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

May buy an 82 vision ....idle fix?

Started by chrisco, July 15, 2007, 09:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisco

Hey I have a line on a 1982 vision that seems to be in pretty decent shape but suffers from the chronic idle issue. I gather the airbox mod is the fix? Anyone know where I could buy this fix? Are there any other things I should check out or plan on fixing immediately if I buy this bike? I'd appreciate any advice - Thanks

ColinthePilot

a lot of issues can be attributed to the YICS. Mine idled 100 times better when I fixed the YICS. depending on who you talk to, its a great part of the bike or the first thing you should trash, but either way, its the source of a lot of problems.
Stuff you should plan on fixing? in short, everything. it depends a lot on how well the PO took care of it, but its a 25yo bike, plan on wrenching a little bit. There is a wealth of info on this site about all the common problems and good fixes for them. look around, and welcome to the site.
Colin
It pissed me off, so I jammed a screwdriver into it, hit it with a hammer, and spun it around with a pair of vice grips. Let that serve as a warning

dj

Quote from: chrisco on July 15, 2007, 09:40:18 PM
Hey I have a line on a 1982 vision that seems to be in pretty decent shape but suffers from the chronic idle issue. I gather the airbox mod is the fix? Anyone know where I could buy this fix? Are there any other things I should check out or plan on fixing immediately if I buy this bike? I'd appreciate any advice - Thanks

Idle problems could be the YICS as stated by Colin, or it could be that your carbs are starting to get dirty.  Once things start getting clogged up in the carbs it can start idling wierd and then cause power loss at higher rpms when it gets worse.  And eventually it will get to the point that it wont even run.

If this bike has been sitting for awhile then plan on taking the carbs apart (all the way apart) and cleaning them out by dipping them in carb cleaner.  Also if the bike hasn't been sitting for awhile, but it doesn't have an inline fuel filter then the carbs could still be getting plugged up from junk in the gas/gas tank.

First thing you can try is to plug off the lines from where the YICS goes to the intake manifolds and see if that fixes the problem.  If it does then most likely your YICS is leaking.  Also check your intake manifolds (carb boots) for cracks.  Surface cracks are not a problem, but if they are to deep and letting air through then the bike will not run very good.  If the boots are cracked then you can lightly spray carb cleaner on the cracked area and if the idle changes then you know that you have a vaccuum leak.

If either of those things don't work to fix the issue then you'll definetly have to take the carbs off and dip them in the carb cleaner.  Make sure that when you do this you completly stip them down.  You need to open all of the passages by taking out the jets (make sure you mark where they came out as they are very specific as to where they go), taking off the gaskets from the top of the float bowls, make sure that you take the floats off and pull the needle valve out of the opening under the floats.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)