Sable

Here's the run down of tools:

Screw Driver
Vice Grips
Dremel Tool
Manual Impact Screw Driver
Air Ratchet
Air Hammer w/ Chisel Attachment

Well, since I was off today, I decided to spend a little qualitiy time with the Vision (actually, I spent all day with her). 

I had to replace my pick up coils because where the wires come out of the side cover, they were frayed and I mean BAD! These are the red black and white wires. The white wire was fine, however, the black wire was only connected by like 5 strands of wire, and the red wire was barely connected, maybe 3 strands.

The side cover was already off from when I began the starter clutch fix (last year), just never got around to putting the side cover back on :-\

When I attempted to take out the screws that held in the metal plate for the stator wire, I had to use my dremel tool to cut a slot, still no go with a screwdriver. Then I tried to use a manual impact screw driver to remove it, still no luck! I finally gave up and broke out the air ratchet. This barely worked,

Next came the screws that held in the pick up coils. First, one was missing, which is odd to me because this is probably the first time the cover has been off. The previous owner clearly only put gas and oil into it, then let it sit.

I tried the same deal, first with a screw driver, then the impact screw driver, then the air ratchet, then an Air Hammer CHISEL ATTACHMENT! Cutting a slot didn't work, the air ratchet just broke the head of the screw apart. I then tried to cut the slot a little deeper, but ended up cutting down to the washer, tried the air ratchet again, and this completely removed one side of the screw head. Next up was my trusty vice grips (normally used to take the screws out of the carbs). When that didn't work, I figured the best way to overcome this obsticle was to completely remove the head of the screw. I couldn't get the dremel tool close enough to cut it off, but I was able to cut through the washer, which gave me a little space under the head of the screw. Since I still couldn't get the dremel in there, I looked at my box of air tools when I saw the air hammer. I figured that the chisel would be thin enough to slip it under the head. I wasn't worried about damaging the side case because the chisel was between the head and the pick up coil bracket (which was junk anyways). What a quick fix that was, the screw head poped off like a daisy!

Now I was able to remove the pick up coil and get close enough with the dremel to cut the screw flush with the case.

Since I was already taking out the screws for everything else, I took out the screws for the stator as well. I have them taped to an index card so I can bring them to Sampson Fasteners for replacement.  I think I'm gonna use allen head cap screws for the replacements, with possible exception of the screw that holds the metal cover plate in place, the allen heads may be too tall for that.

Okay, I'm done venting now... The V should be on the road by this weekend!

~John
1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker

Lucky

I used allens on my stator & they worked great except for a weird buzzing all the time.  at the next stator change i found that although the bolts were tight, they were bottoming & i could still move the stator around with some effort.  threw 3 washers in the re & never a peep again.

buy washers too, & neverseize...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Kevin

In your case one other option is to drill the head of the screw off and back out the bolt after the sidecover is off.