News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

83 vision in NY $500

Started by d0n, July 11, 2007, 11:42:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supervision

Hey Richie, a guy just showed me the trick way to keep tiedowns from doing that, you put a bungy on from hook to hook, then they can slack and recover, without fear of the hook falling off.  Works good !   I have a few Ossa's, I must like em.   I have a Yankee Z too, not quite a runner though
" border="0

Tiger

Quote from: supervision on July 17, 2007, 07:21:32 PM
  Hey Richie, a guy just showed me the trick way to keep tiedowns from doing that, you put a bungee on from hook to hook, then they can slack and recover, without fear of the hook falling off.  Works good ! 

8)...Now thats a neat idea 8) 8) 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Kenny

Hi Guys,
    I saw how you folks tie bikes down for transport in a truck bed or a trailer at the 25th in Colorado & I didn't see one done properly. All of you folks are destroying your suspension as you are compressing the forks when you strap the front end down! This puts uneeded pressure on the seals and other parts of the forks.Their is no need to strap from the bars down- Simply strap the front forks at the point were the fender is bolted to the fork below the seal area, this way the suspension is not bottomed out. Strap the back from the rear footpegs. You will be amazed if you look in your vehicles rear view mirror & watch the bikes suspension work each time you hit a bump in the road.   
        Try it you'll like it.
                                  Cheers Ken S. 
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Night Vision

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

I'm in agreement with Kenny, however I have a history using that method.  The one time I tried it, the straps (new Ancras) came loose & bike fell over.  Didn't hurt the bike (Kaw KDX175), but caused about $700 (in 1980 US $$) damage to the bed side of my '68 elCamino.  There's a great wheel chock for that purpose (about $180) that I will probably get next time I need to haul my V any distance.  It locks the front wheel down solid.

I know tying down the suspension blows seals, damages steering bearings (tapered are not immune) and weakens springs.  However, all of that stuff is cheaper & easier to replace than getting the body work of the haul vehicle repaired.

Until I get the new wheel chock, I'll continue to risk the suspension parts.

Just my $0.02.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

d0n

I had my XR600 tied down in my ford ranger with 2 straps on the handlebars. Some idiot was riding my A$$ so I slammed the brakes on... guess what happened next!

DOH!  ::)

Riche

Nice trick Supervision. But it's about 32 years to late for the tank on the 74 250 SDR I had :)
What Ossa do you have? I have seen a lot of Yankees around in the past. I've been to Yankee Ossa in Schenectday etc. Even met Talyor woods riding one time.

supervision

Richie, I've only seen, about 3 or 4 Yankee's, not many out here.  Such a trick set-up, wished mine ran!    The Ossa's, two 4 speeds, a trials bike and a streetbike.       I think I like tie-downs,  myself.  I rather have my suspension not moving, I think that is better for fork oil and seals.  I hauled ass around corners,  with the Vision in the back of the pick-up all the way to Co.  stayed tied the whole way,  damm!!! that was a fun trip!!!   
" border="0

jasonm.

LISTEN up. If no one is going for this. I will be there to get it. I live only 2 hours away. Just have to get a hitch on the car. Which I can have done in short order. Also TO WHOM it may concern. NEVER tie down a bike at the ends of the handlebars. If steel- They will bend. AND aluminum bar mounts like the Vision can break.  Use strap loops at the lower triple tree.  SO IS IT SOLD TO SOMEONE YET ????
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

zore

I just sinch up the ratchet straps enough so the bike wont move.  I use 4 and I've never had an issue.  Over doing it isn't good idea.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

supervision

Yes on the strap loops!  I like how they put a half turn when they sewed them, so it straightens out after you loop through. 
" border="0

firstone

Sorry Jasonm;  I'm heading up Saturday to pick it up  ;D

d0n

You have my phone number. Call me when you're leaving NH so I'll have a good idea of when you'll be here. I just took the insurance off the bike but you're welcome to take it for a ride... at your own risk of course.  ;D It is still registered.

Riche

Nice set of Ossa bikes Supervision. Because they were made so close there have been quite a few around here. One fellow I used to dirt ride with worked for Taylor and he set up a Yankee as a street bike. Kind of cafe style. Plus an other friend had one but I never rode it. They were heavy and that was their downfall. My Six Day is still around a friend of mine bought it and still runs it once in a while. I modified mine to be very close to what the ISDT bikes Taylor was setting up were. I didn't do the wrench setups on the axles but nearly everything else. One improvement, in my view anyway, I did was to minimize the wiring and I put the ziner diode wiring facing into the head light instead of out like the factory bikes. I removed the whole wireing harnse and made my own getting rid of the battery all together. The guy who has it now put all that back to stock. The stock wiring only got 4 or less months of use before I went on my lighter is better kick LOL.

supervision

They are massive bikes for sure,  I've ridden mine only a few short times. The crank is pitted where the case seal goes, I never get around to working on it.  I was taken by the tractablity of the motor ,two trials top ends, and fireing together, you could idel it around easy.   That's a good idea about the diode in the head light. You could really short-cut the harness for sure.   I'd like to do that to a Vision, mount a shelf for the battery,  and everything electrical, down in a chinn faring. Nice place to put the weight, plus you get to eliminate all kinds of wire
  one time my Ossa Streetbike  shocked the crap out of me, the AC current is run up their to the switch which is in the headlight shell, I touched it when it was running!!  Hey, -now- that bike is light. only weighs like 200 lbs. short to the ground too,   Ossa's are cool, In the late 60's and early 70's  I worked part time at an Ossa dealer.  I uncrated the bikes that I now have!  Later I looked up the last owner and bought out their parts, after they closed, I have like 17 175 pistons if ya need one
" border="0

jasonm.

Oh well...guess I was just asleep when this first posted...DOOAH
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

wolf

Found another one. An 82, but with the upper fairing from an 83, plus a ton of parts. In real good shape, but with a dubious homemade yellow paint job...may take this one down to the frame and do it right.
Trailered it home yesterday from up north about 150 miles, no problems with the straps. I'll post pix....once I figure out how to do that....

Night Vision

pics are up on Tiger's thread
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

d0n

She's gone. J and I just put her in the trailer and he's now on the way back home to NH.

Enjoy it J!

firstone

She has made it home.  No problems on the road!   :) :) :)