News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

oil leak

Started by taank, July 17, 2007, 04:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taank

it looks like the oil pressure switch is leaking
1 dealer said discontinued
the other said 65 bucks.  any other ideas,

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

Clean the entire area.  Run the bike for a while, then spray some talcum or baby powder around the entire area.  It will pinpoint the source of your leak.  A hunch tells me it's the side cover grommets (where the wires for the stator & pick-up coils come through).  That's the most common Vision oil leak.

If its the oil pressure sensor, try removing it & using some thread sealant on the threads.  Teflon tape may work in a pinch, but there's a thread sealant that comes in a small tube like the normal loctite.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

taank

if it is the side cover grommets how do you fix it

h2olawyer

Remove the side cover, take the grommets apart, clean everything very well, removing all old sealant & traces of gasket material.  Then use Threebond 1104, Yamabond 4, Hondabond 4 or similar sealant when you put it all back together.  Also a good time to install a Cometic (reusable) side cover gasket.

Kind of a pain, but if that cover has ever been off, that is a likely spot for the leak.  The first time I did my stator, I had that leak.  Was going to fix it & the second stator fried, so I had a reason to take it apart to do the job again.  The second time, I made sure all the old sealant was off the grommets.  I had to use a dremel to get the last little bits cleaned off.  Working carefully, you can grind it off without damaging the grommets.  No leaks the second or third times I've done the job.  However, Tractor has the same leak & I need to get that taken care of before I can do any track days with it.  No oil leaks allowed on tracks!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

:) IF...you do need to remove the left side engine cover, be aware that the the soc' head cap screw's are of varying length's :o So, make a drawing of the engine cover onto a piece of cardboard and punch out the bolt hole's...then, as you remove each one, insert into the appropriate hole in the cardboard cutout, therefore, as you reassemble you will insert the right size screw into the right hole 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

jasonm.

I thought it was the grommets.  But it was the shift shaft seal. I know it took me a while to figure it out.  BUT what is a cometic gasket?
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

h2olawyer

Cometic is a company that tdub was using with the Memphis Shades race bike.  They make gaskets for the Vision engine.  These gaskets are reusable!  Makes stator swaps much easier since you don't need to order a new gasket every time the stator fries.

H2O

Tiger

:) Unless, like me, you go without a material gasket ;) I use a "liquid" gasket made under license from Rolls Royce... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Kenny

:DHi Tiger,
  I am thinking that " LUCAS" fella might live not to far away from you? Your a brave one after those leaky Trumps & Norton types in the background !  ;D
                             Cheerio Ken S.
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Tiger

Quote from: Kenny on July 18, 2007, 10:12:58 PM
:DHi Tiger,
  I am thinking that " LUCAS" fella might live not to far away from you? Your a brave one after those leaky Trumps & Norton types in the background !  ;D
                             Cheerio Ken S.

Kenny..If the "stuff" is good enough for R.R. aero' Engine's it's good enough for Tiger's "V" ;D :D :D :D... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

jasonm.

H2O , I went to the Cometic site. Tried to find their part #. But the XZ550 was not on their list. I also tried the OEM cross reference...nothing. Any ideas? Did I look in the wrong place?
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

h2olawyer

You need to call them.  They do have them in stock.  As I recall, they're on the website, but mislabeled.

H2O

taank

ok so i finnaly installed my new ebay oil pressure switch(12.99 w ship),  drove it home and i look under it this morning it appearers the engine side cover is also leaking, it is the cover with the oil sight hole in it. is there anything i should know before i open it up? do i need a factory gasket or can i yamabond it like the other side

h2olawyer

You can make a paper gasket that will work fine, you can order one from Yamaha or get the reusable one from Cometic - your choice.

Using Yamabond or RTV can work as well, but don't use too much or you risk having the excess on the inside come loose & clog your oil pick-up.

H2O

Night Vision

Quote from: taank on August 02, 2007, 09:54:02 AM
....appearers the engine side cover is also leaking, it is the cover with the oil sight hole in it. is there anything i should know before i open it up? ......

there are at least three ways that sidecase can leak...

1) the sidecase/gasket itself....
2) the grommets where the stator wires exit can leak, and or the braided wire coverings can wick oil......
3) the shifter shaft seal can leak...

as long as you're going in... prepare to address all three
also, do your starter clutch and balance gear PM if you haven't already done it.

.... then prepare for the possibility that no matter how good you think you did,  that you'll still may have a leak... sometimes, the leak will come and go.... that's my naughty little gremlin  >:( 
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

Quote from: taank on August 02, 2007, 09:54:02 AM
do i need a factory gasket or can i yamabond it like the other side

according to Jason, the gasket on the right side is critical since the crankshaft oil seal (that must be replaced EVERY time that cover is pulled) sits at a predetermined distance on the end of the crank.  skipping the gasket & using sealer places the seal further on the shaft, making the seal run on a spot that will slowly destroy it...

i tend to trust Jasons judgement on such matters, & as a mechanic it makes perfect sense, i've seen such things happen.....
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

taank

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/parts/Yamaha/VISION+-+XZ550RK/1983/632927

part number 5 is the gasket i will be replacing, looking at the bike i would not need to replace the shift shaft seal or anything else for that matter.  but i've been wrong before.  am i wrong or right?

h2olawyer

It's a good idea to replace the shift shaft seal while you're in there.  Call it preventive maintenance.    That side cover has to come off to replace the shift shaft seal, sso if it begins to leak, you would just be doing this job again.  The seals are all getting old and its a good idea just to swap them out whenever you have the opportunity.

H2O

h2olawyer

The shift shaft seal is on the same side as the shifter.  It sits behind a small loop that's part of the stator cover.  You need to remove the shifter to remove the stator cover.  If the shift shaft seal leaks, you will need to remove the stator cover to fix it.  It's only a few bucks, just do it.

H2O