News:

Main Menu

I pick up V2 tomorrow!

Started by dj, July 18, 2007, 11:39:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dj

Well, I am getting pretty excited as tomorrow is the day that I pick up my second Vision.  I am picking it up down in NH.  She runs, but needs some prettying up.  But at $250 the price is definetly right.

So hopefully by this time next week I will at least have a franken Vision on the road. ;)
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Night Vision

ok, drive safe on your way down.... start 'er up B4 you load 'er up  ;)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

dj

Quote from: Night Vision on July 18, 2007, 12:59:29 PM
ok, drive safe on your way down.... start 'er up B4 you load 'er up  ;)

I'm bringing my helmet, jacket, and gloves down with me.  I am going to try and take it for a quick test ride before I load her up.  I was hoping that my rebuild kits were going to be in by now so I would have a set of carbs ready to put in. But alas, it was not meant to be.  ::)
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

h2olawyer

Safe voyage!  Now, be careful.  After you get the second one, they tend to multiply . . .  ::)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

dj

Quote from: h2olawyer on July 18, 2007, 02:56:02 PM
Safe voyage!  Now, be careful.  After you get the second one, they tend to multiply . . .  ::)

H2O

As long as the gremlins dont multiply I'll be happy.   :o
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

h2olawyer

Gremlins - at least for me - have tended to remain at low levels.   ;)

Now, if your second V has gremlins of its own, it's hard to tell exactly what may happen.  The two factions will either get along, or they may wage full scale war & eventually kill each other off!  If they get along, they may reproduce (need to keep the gene pool diverse).  However, their offspring will most likely be attracted to different bikes.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

dj

Quote from: h2olawyer on July 18, 2007, 03:13:27 PM
Gremlins - at least for me - have tended to remain at low levels.   ;)

Now, if your second V has gremlins of its own, it's hard to tell exactly what may happen.  The two factions will either get along, or they may wage full scale war & eventually kill each other off!  If they get along, they may reproduce (need to keep the gene pool diverse).  However, their offspring will most likely be attracted to different bikes.

H2O

I figure since I have the entire population of vision gremlins in Maine living in my bike then at least if I have two then each will only have 1/2 the population (at worst).  Or all of the gremlins will move into one of the bikes and then I can quarentine it from the other bike and keep it safe from the gremlins (best case).  ;D
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Kevin

dj

Quote from: Kevin on July 18, 2007, 05:30:41 PM
Pictures!!!

I'll get some updated pictures after I get her home.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

hfarley

be careful! From experience, when you get the second the first likes to throw a little hissy fit and try to knock down the second one in the garage. Try to keep them separated. They will fight. LOL! Otherwise good find and good luck!
-Heather
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

Sable

Glad you're picking the V up soon... Like I said, if you didn't get it, I would have!!!

~John
1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker

dj

Well, Black "Beauty" is home now.  Still on the truck but she is home.  I have a feeling from talking to the guy of what the problem is.

When he was testing the bike he removed the R/R and put in a new stator (electrosport rewind), but didn't get a new R/R.  So the new stator was wired in, but the wires were just hanging (remember, no R/R on the bike).  So when he was test running it it must have been running off the battery.

My hypothosis is that the running it straight off the battery was weakening the battery enough that the TCI was throwing fits (not always firing) and causing the bike to run like crap and want to die.

Does this sound like sound logic???  So, I'll be looking for an R/R, I have the old one that the back case is partially coming off.  I am thinking that something on the inside (a capacitor or something) has swollen from the heat and ruptured.  I'll be ripping into it and seeing what it looks like on the inside.

Pics will be coming by the end of the weekend.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Brian Moffet

That would definately cause problems after a while, rarely can you run only off the battery for long.  Airplanes can, and old cars can if they're set up with magnetos, but not the Vision.  Should be a simple fix, put a car battery on the bike and see if it runs better.

Brian

dj

Quote from: Brian Moffet on July 19, 2007, 09:35:36 PM
That would definately cause problems after a while, rarely can you run only off the battery for long.  Airplanes can, and old cars can if they're set up with magnetos, but not the Vision.  Should be a simple fix, put a car battery on the bike and see if it runs better.

Brian

Still gonna need an R/R for the bike though.  I figure that with it running off just a weakened battery that the carbs can't be to bad or the weak spark from the TCI not beinghappy with the voltage level would cause the bike to not run at all.  I'm still gonna check them out though.

I didn't get a chance to start the bike when I went down there as the battery was dead.  I'll be checking things out more once I get her off the truck tomorrow.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Aelwulf

Quote from: dj on July 19, 2007, 09:39:12 PM
Still gonna need an R/R for the bike though.

Drop samsr a PM, I think he had one from the parts bike he's trying to get everything out of his garage from.  I couldn't say if it works or not, he didn't say but it didn't look too terrible.  I think I got mine from the stealership, pricey but it's new (think about $240ish?).  I believe I've seen a link or two on here after I got mine for aftermarket ones that were only about half that.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)