Stand up for Deals Gap

Started by Lucky, August 08, 2007, 06:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

Tennessee Highway Patrol has recently been using harrasment tactics to disuade motorcycles on the Tail of the Dragon.  There have been 3 deaths on the Dragon in 3 months since this began, prior to that there hadn't been a fatality in 11 months.

Don't allow Tn to take away one of motorcyclings greatest playgrounds, no pressure, but it would be helpfull if you could send an email of support to Tn's Govenor or others listed & linked at www.tailofthedragon.com.

Thanks!
--Lucky

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8240035790336395229
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

Sure seems like overkill.  Would think a cop or two at various points, moving at random intervals & finding a good hiding spot would be sufficient - but 15!!?!!  Not only are they chasing away tourist business, but the cost of maintaining that heavy presence probably cannot be justified for an extended period.  Wonder what AMA is doing about this?

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

YellowJacket!

318 troopers in 11 miles.   :P :( >:( :'(

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

Quote from: h2olawyer on August 08, 2007, 07:05:52 PM
but the cost of maintaining that heavy presence probably cannot be justified for an extended period.  Wonder what AMA is doing about this?

H2O

from your mouth to the sherrifs ears...

kwells

i say there are so many other cool places to ride in this country that Deals Gap doesnt even remotely interest me.  This is not the first vid I've seen on YouTube outlining the bullshit that goes on there with the policing. 
They wont be getting my ticket revenue.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

YellowJacket!

The problem with Deals Gap and the Dragon is that it is totally saturated.  There are too many sports cars, motorcycles, trucks etc trying to use the road.  To top it off, many of them are trying to prove themselves and unfortunately for some, their skill level is not on par with their ego level (kill level), which results in mishaps, sometimes fatal.  On top of that, there are those who are pissed off about the whole thing and make a big deal of it and some go so far as to put sand and oil on the road to hurt someone.  Then there are the big rigs.  They want to use the road as a shortcut and screw everyone over by blocking the road or creating mobile guillotines by cuttin completely across the blind turns.  The unfortunater thing is that it is a state highway and the authorities are responsible with maintaining the safety and to prove a point, they will be hardasses about it.  It is not a road for proving that you can tackle all 318 curvesi in under nine minutes, it is a road to get yuou from one destination to another...hopefully safely.  Its just too bad that it is really such a nice, fun and scenic road to ride a motorcycle on but collectively, the bikers road rally'rs, truckers, mopeders etc all think its theirs and that screws it up for everyone.  Am I happy about it?  No, not at all.  But, it is a public road and the cops do have a duty.

David

Lucky

Yeah, but i really want to go back....

YellowJacket!

I have really really really been wanting to go to Cherohala.  Wanna do that?

David

YellowJacket!

Heh heh heh.  I just finished readin ght einfo on the tail of the dragon link.  The letter from THP is signed by LTC Trott.  I work with his wife!  I'll have to have a talk with her about it.  ;D

For the record, Ltc. Trott is an avid motorcyclist.

David

kiawrench

sorry to say it, but my last run on the dragon was exactly that - between all the marked and unmarked police cars at almost every straight section of road, there are too many others jumping in trying to stop anyone other than them from using the road.

A group left from here last week to make a run or ten, and came back with a lot of info on what is happening in the gap.  i think i am again on th ehunt for a long quiet road to ride on weekends , the gap is just getting too much attention now .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

kwells

the dragon has always been considered that epic road that a motorcyclist must do...I say no way.  Not sure that I'd be out trying to do a 9 min run but I would probably speed about the same as I did at the 25th anniversary...Just enough to make it fun.  In this case I would not only be ticketed for wreckless driving, speeding, driving too closely, but my bike would probably get impounded just because they are ...doing their job...uh hem.   
The spot has obviously gotten too popular by the legend.  But IMO opinion I have the dragon surrounding me in in 3 directions for about 100 miles and I don't worry about cops...although any speed over the limit is ticketable.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

jasonm.

It's like everywhere else. "If you know your limits, and the road. The danger is the other guy."  If you don't know one of the two...anything can happen.
Just a few weeks ago I met a guy who said he saw a guy ride his bike right over a cliff at the dragon.... He was DOA.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

inanecathode

Squaw pass > deals gap by at least 10
That being said *ahem*
Can't imagine thats the only twisty road out there. Really if i wanted to be stuck behind a bunch of harleys and sport cars oohing and ahhing at the fantabulous forest at 20 miles an hour, i'd go ride us 6 lol (wonderful canyon, brand new pavement, twisties out the ying yang, TONNES of harleys and gamblers though)
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Lucky

You know, i try to offer help here, & when i ask for help for a local spot being harrassed by the PD, all it gets is bashing.

don't knock Deals Gap 'till you've ridden it, then you can tell me it's not worth the effort.

Thanks alot....