News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

wow, it's been so long now

Started by silicon_toad2000, July 31, 2007, 11:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silicon_toad2000

I haven't been here ages.
Haven't had time to work on the bike either, it's sitting in my shed in a state of disrepair.

So I think I have bottom end problems, here is the history.
It ran low on oil pressure. (previous owner had siliconed the side cover on and bits of silicon had gummed up the oil intake and filter)
I changed the oil and filter but it had developed a knock that gets steadily louder as the revs rise.
I took the side cover off and checked the starter clutch and gears behind there and everything seemed fine.
I started it again and problem still existed.
I took the rocker covers off and checked the lobes and chain play, everything seems fine there. I wound the engine over one way and then back looking for some lag in the cam movement relative to the crank, checking for play in the timing chain. the cams move with the crank with no delay.
I'm thinking if it's not the starter clutch assembly or the timing chain that I have a spun bearing in the bottom end.

So my question is I guess, what do you guys think is involved in pulling her down and fixing the bottom end? What are the chances my crank is gouged?

My problem is that i work 60 hours a week and study part time and on top of that I need to spend time with the family. Doesn't leave a lot of time to work on the bike.
The mrs won't let me get another bike to ride while I have this one, working or not. (and I really miss riding).

From here it seems the easiest thing to do would be find someone to take her off my hands so I can get a working bike.
Thoughts?
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.

kwells

I think you are right to suspect a rod bearing. Of course they can be rebuilt but the crankshaft may have been damaged as well and would need to be machined smooth.  If I was you I would be looking for a complete engine swap.  They can be had for pretty cheap or even FREE from time to time.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

Free - except for shipping!

If it is the bottom end, I agree - look for a replacement engine.  Then you can get the parts to fix the existing one & have a spare.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Night Vision

when you "checked the starter clutch and the gears behind there" I have to assume you actually pulled the flywheel off ......

so...did you also tighten the nut on the balancer gear when you were in there?

just hate to see cases being split if its something simple like the balancer gear.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

silicon_toad2000

yep, I put a shifter on the nut on the balancer gear, was tight. Checked the bolts in the starter clutch assy and they were tight and already staked.

Here in aussie land, these things are like rocking horse poo. engines are just not available and freight from the states will cost more than another bike.
What it comes down to is the time and parts involved in repairing that bottom end. I'm worried that as there aren't spares around it will be new parts, which by the time I have finished I believe will also total more than another bike.
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.

smknjoe1964

Theres an ebay guy in the states thats tearing apart a complete engine that might have what you need ! His ebay name is xomojo

ninja14

hey mate i'm a newbie here and from oz in sydney, picking up an unregistered xz550 on saturday, I wanna make it look like something "zoig" like street hawk, but depending on how much work needs to be done I might even offload it, but I'll wait until I get the bike first ;D Francis