News:

Main Menu

nailed!

Started by steve, August 11, 2007, 12:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve

So I finally decided at lunch today to clean the vision and while cleaning the back wheel, there it was!  About a 8penney nail sunk to its head in my tire which is only about two months old.  The good part was that it went into the very edge of the tread and didn't cause a flat!  Someone suggested that I buy a lottery ticket today! :D

h2olawyer

Just getting ready for winter riding & studding your tires?   ;D

That was some piece of luck.  However, you can put lots of miles on in two months.

Figured I'd be reading about an encounter with one of your local LEOs from the post title.  Glad it wasn't serious.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Ron_McCoy

When I first got my Vision in 1984 I was working the afternoon shift. When I left work Monday night ( I got it on Saturday ), I got about three blocks from work and started hearing a loud clicking noise, not what you want to hear from your brand new motorcycle. It seemed to be the right frequency to match wheel rpm ( I was going about 45 mph).  Of course since it was about 1:00 am I couldn't see anything stopping to look at the bike. I finally came to a lighted intersection and looked down to see a four inch long nail sticking out of the tire sidewall and hitting the swingarm on every revolution.  It was still holding air and it was still about five miles home so I bent it away from the swingarm as well as I could and rode the rest of the way home.  When I got home and examined it under the light, the nail had gone in the tread and traveled between the cords and the sidewall rubber.  When I pulled it out no air escaped. I did replace the tires that weekend because I  didn't feel like they had enough grip and I had a new set of K-81 Dunlops in the garage. Tremendous improvement in the handling department although they were worn out in less than 2000 miles. I wonder how they would compare to the tires we run now.