News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Winter Storage

Started by inanecathode, August 04, 2007, 02:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

There i said it!
Winter!
Winter winter winter!
Now that thats over with. What's the best way to store a bike over the winter, i want to get all my two wheeled babies out of the weather this winter.
Should i drain all the fluids out of it?
Or should i fuel it up halfway with stabil'd gas, change the oil, and change the drive oil then leave it?

Whats the best way? Trying to keep the gremlins out of the works for next summer.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

kiawrench

go to this site, follow the procedures listed, and hope for a short ,kind winter!::

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/winter-storage.html

better yet, pack up everything into a u-haul, move to region with very mild winters, and just keep riding , that is what i do !
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

ps2/bikevision

i fill the tank, add stable, either change the oil now or change it in the spring, cover the exhaust with plastic bags to keep the mice out, put it on center stand and an old floor mat under front tire, bring the battery in for the winter, and cover the bike.

Ron_McCoy

Come to the CROV Fall Ride before you put your bike away for the winter.   :) :) :)

inanecathode

I would ron but my V is totally not ready to go that far, need all sorts of stuff. Starter clutch fix being one of them :o
Dont really plan on just leaving it in storage for 8 months, but kinda disabling it so i can do all the fixes i've been wanting to do all summer.
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

Kenny

Quote from: inanecathode on August 05, 2007, 01:04:16 AM
I would ron but my V is totally not ready to go that far, need all sorts of stuff. Starter clutch fix being one of them :o
Dont really plan on just leaving it in storage for 8 months, but kinda disabling it so i can do all the fixes i've been wanting to do all summer.
"Once the Snow is up past your ankles & the salt makes the roads white that's the time you start all the heavy repairs"
You still have time to ride out to New York Sate to visit NV before it gets to deep!
                       Cheers Ken S. 
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

ninja14

I ride my bike during winter ;D

Night Vision

Quote from: ninja14 on August 05, 2007, 11:33:27 AM
I ride my bike during winter ;D

I ride during your winter too  ;)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiger

:) Once you have determined the season is over, give your "V" a good wash 'n polish before she goes into hibernation. That will give you an idea what needs to be touched up and/or replaced.Fill the tank with fresh gas and do not forget to add fuel stabilizer...run her for a couple of minute's and then drain the carb's. I always change the engine oil/filter, at this time, as they carry acid's and shite that is best evacuated from the motor. Slightly over inflate your tires as they will/can loose a couple of pounds pressure...dependent on where she stays for the winter. I also put a wood block under the front of the motor, just tall enough to raise the front wheel off of the floor... ;) Always cover her up...One "V" I went to see last year had stood ALL winter, at the side of the guy's house uncovered, on the center stand...on grass... :o You can imagine how sad and neglected she looked ::) I always cover mine with a bike cover, however, she stays in a nice, warm garage...which allows me to do maintenance/repair's/upgrades as I please... ;)
How and where you store your ride will determine what will need to be done to ride her again when the spring comes around... :-\ For those of us who have this "Down-time" use it wisely...preserve your sanity as well as your Vision, come spring time ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

zore

Winter storage for me consists of yanking out my thick gloves and pulling out my heated vest.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

haunter

the only month this year I didnt ride during was Jan.

I rode on new years eve, and then not again till mid Feb(we had subzeros then 2+ ft of snow).

no nothing, gas was fine, she started up and I rode to work........
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

h2olawyer

The area Inanecathode lives gets quite a bit of snow.  Also, the roads have many corners that hold ice for a long time after a storm.  In addition, the state spreads sand & salt over the roads which tends to get pretty thick and lasts into May.  I would consider riding a dual sport at times in the winter up there, but still it would be dicey - especially the shady, ice covered corners.

My V gets out for a day or two each winter month - normally.  Last winter, when we got several feet of snow just before Christmas, I didn't get out on it until mid-March.  We normally have several days of warm weather (40+ F) in January & February that make for some fine riding.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

Think I was able to do a Nov ride last season around Denver but then had to wait until march for the next nice day.  Was ok by me though...once snow hits I head for the mtns with a board strapped to my car.  25 days of boarding in a season will keep you occupied until it warms up.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

QBS

I can't believe that not one of you guys mentioned hooking up the battery to a Battery Tender Jr.  I've harped and harped on this subject, yet no one is apparently paying attention.  Inane, if you want to buy a new battery soon, don't use a Battery Tender Jr. during your winter storage.

kwells

i just get a cheapie battery and hope to get 2 seasons at most out of it. In addition I try to start the bike at least once a month in the winter.  If it is going to be actually stored and not started then take the batter out completely and just put it somewhere warm as well as drain the carbs  and run them out of fuel after stabilizing the tank.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

I've been using Battery Tender Jr.(s) for several years.  My older battery still tests as new.  It's a 3 year old Interstate maintenance free, leakproof unit.  It lives with the B.T. Jr. hooked up whenever I'm not out riding.  Still hasn't saved my stators, though.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

Quote from: QBS on August 18, 2007, 10:40:53 PM
I can't believe that not one of you guys mentioned hooking up the battery to a Battery Tender Jr.  I've harped and harped on this subject, yet no one is apparently paying attention.  Inane, if you want to buy a new battery soon, don't use a Battery Tender Jr. during your winter storage.

:) Good call...I have both Vision's and my snowmobile batteries all hooked up to Battery Tender Jr's... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Coil Coyle

One idea would be to ride it to Southern California for the fall ride of the CROV. Then, park it an ROV member's garage and give them the keys.

Pick it up during the Spring ride!

$0.02
;D
Coil

samsr

knobby tires and a heated vest, along with a wind screen. Warm cloths.   Are you sure you are supposed to store these bikes in the winter?  Just keep riding.