I'm back and need parts or advice.

Started by Tiffanator, August 25, 2007, 09:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiffanator

Ok, so some of you may remember me, most probably not. I said a while back that I was giving up on the restoration of my Vision... well... it seems I've become bored lately and have started tinkering with the bike once again.  My goal now is to get the bike to crank and run. I got the carbs cleaned up and back on the bike today, managed to get the siezed piston out of the master cylinder and pulled off the clutch cable.
Here's where I need parts or advice. The clutch cable is siezed... bad. I made a funnel like some had mentioned on here and filled it with PB blaster and let it sit... I don't think one drop went down the cable.  Made a funnel that fit tighter after it all leaked out, and it leaked out again.  So now I'm on the third funnel using hot glue and packing tape and its just not soaking down in there. Has anyone had one this bad come back to life? How long did it take? If not.. anyone have a clutch cable that isn't siezed?
Gas tank... I know everyone has had to deal with the dreaded gas tank at one time or another. Mine is no different. It has a lovely Kreme liner in it that was apparently put in over a layer of rust.. and is of course flaking and making a grand mess. I read reckon's post about cleaning out the Kreme but can't seem to find 5 gallon buckets of acetone. Has anyone ever taken their tank to a body shop and had it cleaned? Cost? I'm thinking of trying this since they have access to acetone.
Starting circuit cutoff relay, anyone heard of that? I need one.
Well I guess that's all for now. I'm off to pull off the starter put the new nose seal on it.
Thanks
Tiff.
Tiffanator
First time restorer

Night Vision

acetone: try Lowe's ... I saw 1 gal containers there... Home Depot says "we're not allowed to sell it anymore" they said that about muriatic acid too.... again, Lowe's carries it
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

YellowJacket!

Welcome Back!!

I'll look in my barn and see if I still have my clutch cable.  I think I may have given it away but I'll look tomorrow anyway.  I do have a working speedo cane though.

Glad to see you didn't give up on the Vision.  Good to hear form you again too.  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Tiffanator

Thanks guys. Night Vision.. i have checked Lowe's and they don't have it here. They have 5 gallons of Laquer thinner, but no acetone. I'll keep looking though. I went to Home Depot and their selection of paint stuff was horrible.
Dave... that would be great. I'm really thinking this cable is done for.
Quick question for anyone reading now. I'm working on the starter, have it off and apart. Cannot for the life of me get the output shaft out of the nose cone. I tried pushing it out, popped it a few times with the butt end of a screwdriver and it won't budge. Also, commutator is rubbing some and pretty dry... I greased it and it spins better, but not very freely. Am I looking at a new starter?
Thanks all.
Tiff.
Tiffanator
First time restorer

h2olawyer

There is an internal snap ring hiding in the starter nose cone.  Tough to see & remove.  I remember having the same problem until I took it into some better light & used a magnifying glass to inspect what the hold up was.  That was before I needed bifocals!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

ACE HARDWARE.
more Acitone & Muriatic Acid than you'll ever need.

make sure you have both circlips out of the nose gear, then supporting the nose housing on blocks of wood, put another piece of wood over the end of the nose gear & strike that with a hammer. do not tap the end out right on the metal even though it's tempting. i've had to both remove & install mine this way.  just don't beat the crap out of it..

you moved from Nashville to...Ms? was that right?

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Kevin

Try holding both ends of th cable up, in a vise maybe,and working the lube in the cable at either ends.

reckon

clutch cables can be ordered at ANY motorcycle parts house for something like $20 (I think you can still get them at the stealership too)

why would you go through all that if it's only twenty bucks to just replace it? (I mean it's NOT a TCI unit) besides if it's that badly stuck, it'll just snap the first time you pull it if you ever DO get it unstuck.

ok after doing about four more BAD tank "KREEM strip and re-line's" I found you can do it pretty well with only 2 gallons of acetone, it just takes a much longer soak, and letting it get warm helps alot: cap the petcock hole with modeling clay and duct tape, then pour in the 2 gallons of acetone (and really, NO OTHER SOLVENT WORKS ON KREEM) then put the cap on and slosh it around and let it sit for several days (mine took 5 days) propping it up so that all the surfaces get in contact with the acetone. leave it in the sun for 10-15 minutes to warm it occaisionally, remembering that the warm expanding acetone vapors will pop the petcock plug out if you let it get too warm (you can open the filler cap when it's out in the sun to prevent this)
then after a few days drain it all out including the disgustingly goopy shreds of partially decomposed KREEM, and give it a good rinse out with another quart or so of acetone, then blow it out with compressed air, and leave it in the sun for a few hours to evaporate any acetone residue.

then you can follow the directions that come with the tank coating of your choice (I recommend CASWELL for a previously lined tank that has been stripped)
"if it's stupid but it works, it's no longer stupid"

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Lucky on August 25, 2007, 10:39:53 PM
you moved from Nashville to...Ms? was that right?

--Lucky

I think that was Katdiva that did that.

David

Tiffanator

Thanks all for the help. I did get both circlips off... but man it doesn't want to come out of there. H2Olawyer, yes, the only reason I knew the other circlip was there was because I had the starter rebuilding page up on my laptop right in front of me.
Lucky... didn't even think of ACE hardware, I'll check there, but with reckon's new method I'm hoping I won't need to. I'll go get some wood blocks and see if the output shaft will come out.  I've always been in MS.
Kevin... I held the end up and sprayed the lube directly into the opening and it just sat there. I tried working the cable around some to try to free it up but so far nothing is working. I'll try the vise method... hey.. if I snap the cable trying to free it up.. oh well... going to have to buy a new one if I can't free it anyway.
Reckon.. thanks so much for the help. I'm going to lowes today to buy some acetone. It will have no problem getting warm here.. its been running in the upper 90s or 100s, a few minutes in the sun and it will be good and hot.
Thanks again everyone. I'm really hoping to have this bike up and running soon.
Tiff
Tiffanator
First time restorer

YellowJacket!

You can also get muratic acid at any pool supply store too. (only if ACE doesn't have it where you are  ;D  )

David

reckon

Quote from: DaveTN on August 26, 2007, 09:25:14 AM
You can also get muratic acid at any pool supply store too. (only if ACE doesn't have it where you are  ;D  )

David

thats the only place I can find it anymore

takes off rust RIGHT NOW!

rinse with a baking soda/water rinse, then rinse it ridiculously well with plain water, dry, then reline.
"if it's stupid but it works, it's no longer stupid"

Lucky

should be a normaly stocked item at ACE it's what we call 'green tag' which means it's a high sales item and should allways be in stock. in my store we have at least a dozen gallons right now...

Tiffanator

Thanks all. I bought 2 gallon jugs and 1 quart of acetone at Lowe's yesterday. Need to pick up modeling clay today and I'll seal up the tank and get it ready to soak. I cleaned all the surface rust off the outside and stored the tank in the house so no more forms before I can get it painted.
In other news, the starter nose seal has been replaced. I had to beat on it pretty good, Lucky's method works well. Its a tight fit in there. Its back together and back on the bike. I'm inching my way ever closer to seeing if this baby will crank up for me.
Our ACE hardware here is kinda a half ACE... its inside a door and window store so I'm not sure how much stuff they stock, never been there. But I noticed that Lowe's does have muratic acid.
Thanks again for all your help.
Tiff
Tiffanator
First time restorer

YellowJacket!

Bad news Tiff.  I have a speedo cable but not the clutch cable.  If I remember correctly, I gave it away earlier this year.

Sorry.

David

kiawrench

tiff--- you can get a clutch cable really cheap , if you dont mind a bit of tinkering-- just buy a "generic yamaha cable" from a local bike shop(the best stores are the independants) be sure the ends match.
  once you get cable home, you may have to make a bracket to hold lower end, but i like the 10.00 price over the 22.50 price any day .
  if you cant do it any other way, get one from the yammie dealer. buy the longer 82 cable, that way, you have a few options on how to set bike up, long riser,short riser, custom riser, whatever.

i tinker a lot, so i just get the generic clutch cable for dirt bikes, and make it work when i need a cable.
but as a last resort-- go down to your local airport, find the machine shop, and have them free up your old cable and then make a pair of new ones to use on the bike-- one for now, one for future . that is where i got clutch and throttle cables for my project bobber , and soon, my new top clamp and risers .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Night Vision

Quote from: kiawrench on August 27, 2007, 09:48:52 PM
.......get one from the yammie dealer. buy the longer 82 cable, that way, you have a few options on how to set bike up, long riser,short riser, custom riser, whatever.

I agree with that.... an 82 clucth cable with the 83 risers= no more accidentally resetting the trip-o-meter...
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiffanator

David... its all good, thanks for looking.
Kia... thanks for the advice, I will look into that. We don't have many bike shops around here, none of which are independent, I'll check around though. We don't even have an airport around here. I love tinkering so I'll figure out something. Thanks. Longer cable.. check.

Well I can't do the gas tank this week. I have it all ready to go, but I'm leaving town for the long weekend and don't want to leave the tank unattended for 3 days, so as soon as I get home monday night it will start the soak.  Starter is rebuilt with new nose seal, carbs are sparkly clean, and I think wiring is almost sorted.  Need to blow the piston out of the front brake caliper and rebuild it, and am ordering a master cylinder rebuild kit, the old one was seized hard in there, had to pretty much destroy it to get it out.
Thanks again all for the help.
Tiff
Tiffanator
First time restorer

Tiffanator

I decided tonight to get the piston out of the front brake caliper, since it hadn't been moved in roughly 4 years I knew it would be tough. I kinda had some idea what I was up against after reading Dave's story about using compressed air and having a projectile piston. I took it to my dad's after work tonight and he decided he was going to get it out... without using the compressor. He just couldn't imagine that using simple air would work. So he decided to try to nudge it back a little to free it up. He put a block of wood over it and tapped it with a hammer, nothing. He stuck a screwdriver in the back and tried to pry it out, nothing.
As I was getting the attachments for the compressor ready I looked over and he had it in the vice about to pound on it with a hammer. Uh... dad? Can we try the compressor now? That won't work, he said as he jokingly reached for the dremel. I told him to just try. He puts the caliper with the piston facing down to the work bench. He shoves the nozzle in and presses for a good seal and pulls the handle. At first there was nothing, then slowly the piston started moving out. He was stunned. So he held the air while I watched the piston and right as it was about to pop out I told him to back off. It slid right out, no fuss. He was like, where did you learn that. I told him, from the guys that know EVERYTHING about these bikes.
Before everyone starts, my father is a very smart man and somewhat of a MacGuyver. If I had given him long enough he would have found a way to get it out, and it probably would have involved blood, sweat, tears and lots of really big power tools. He has never dealt with any type of car/bike mechanics other than changing the battery.
Tiff.
Tiffanator
First time restorer

Lucky

Quote from: Tiffanator on August 29, 2007, 08:30:20 PM
my father is a very smart man and somewhat of a MacGuyver. If I had given him long enough he would have found a way to get it out, and it probably would have involved blood, sweat, tears and lots of really big power tools.

Sounds like a Visionary to me!!  :D