News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

geomentry help

Started by ps2/bikevision, August 24, 2007, 04:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ps2/bikevision

ok its been too long since i have been in school.  ive been working on swaping the cabs on my truck, hence not being on here much lately. ive got everthing thing ready to lift and my buddies that were going to just pick it up are nowhere to be found now. so i came up with this idea of making an A frame (swing set) setup to lift the cab off the donor truck and onto the other truck. my problem is im ready to buy the lumber, i know how high it needs to be but i cant figure out how to build it. the beam has to be no less than 10ft. high. i figured a standard 30 degree angle at the peek would be the easiest but from there im lost.

any one have an idea how long the bottom would have to be? i have to slid the whole thing so i have to put it on some "ski's".

also i was thinking that cutting the top of the beems on a 30 and just bolting them to the top beam wouldnt be the best way. the top beam would need to be sitting on the top of the A frame to make use of the A.

oh and im using 4x4's.

Coil Coyle

PS2,
      Thanks for the review. It's been twenty one years since tech school.

11.55 ft is your leg length, get twelve footers and you got it.

This wasn't available back then...http://www.csgnetwork.com/righttricalc.html

;)
Coil

h2olawyer

Looks like maybe some spelling help too.  Never heard of geomentry.  However,  geometry is the study of shapes, angles and the like.   ;D

Did you use Angle, Side, Side to figure it out?  Or like the constipated mathemetician, did you work it out with a pencil?   :D ;) ;D

Sorry. ps2.  No offense intended!  Just feeling ornery.   ;)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

ps2/bikevision

no worries here. i cant spell worth beens.  ;D  i ended up just going with a 15 degree angle so my ski's were under 8' 

i got her built sat. night, and put all together (on site) sunday. i had a really good day sunday. using a come-along on one side and ratchet strap on the other with 4x4's under the cab i was able to lift the cab up off the frame, roll the rest of the truck out from under it and put the cab down on the good truck. it took some time to get the cab up in the air with the bottom of the cab being 4' off the ground, and the top 9'. but it went without a hitch and im now putting my old dodge back together after rolling it last fall. this winter i will have my truck back on the road and wont have to ride the bike in the snow again. its gonna be sweat.

i learned one very big lesson though, its not as easy as tv makes it look tearing down a truck and rebuilding it. im only half way done and im tired of working on it already.

h2olawyer

Glad things are going well with the project.  Seems like anything you want or need badly takes much longer to accomplish.  Instant gratification / impatience is probably one of modern society's greatest problems.

Hope the project continues smoothly.  Pix?

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.