News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Riding in this bloody hot weather.

Started by crackerkorean, August 23, 2007, 09:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crackerkorean

I know its not super smart but I was thinking about riding in shorts. I would love to ride my bike its just too hot.

I tried wearing jeans but after the ride home from work I might as well have jumped into a pool with my jeans on.

What can one to do stay some what cool?

BTW whats up yall LOL how are things going here.

Lucky

high today was 110, with 90% humidity, I wore:
my CL-Max helmet, Jacket (armored mesh), armored mesh gloves, jeans & construction boots.  30 min ride each way. it was warm, but not unbearable.  mesh is the way to go in the heat.

if i had thought of it i would have put a wet towel on my neck too. All this behind a taller than stock windshield....
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

The wet towel around the neck trick works great.

Is riding in shorts worth the risk of road rash?  The prospect of multiple cleanings, scrubbing with a stiff brush is enough to keep me from riding in anything less than ALL THE GEAR!

Good to hear from you again.  Been a while.  Hopefully the heat won't last too much longer!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

crackerkorean

Might have to try the wet towel, also a change of pants.

Would prefer not to have to scrub rash. I need some mesh over pants badly.

h2olawyer

If I was riding mine as a commuter, I'd have some Joe Rocket Phoenix gear (jacket & pants).  Since I only ride for pleasure, my leathers work great.  White leather with lots of perforations from shoulders to the knees.  With a damp t-shirt, I can actually raise goosebumps when riding in 90 degree weather.  The main problem with the leathers is that they're a real pain when you get off to eat a meal or need to carry a change of clothes if I'm headed for a meeting or other situation where I need to have normal clothes.

I have some cordura gear, but it is way too hot to wear when temps get over 80.  Yhe leathers are comfortable from 35 (F) to well over 90 (F).  I haven't had them in colder weather & I wear my rainsuit over them when it gets below about 45 (F).  Under the leathers, I always wear long underwear.  Silk weight when it's warm, expedition weight when it's cold.  Modern synthetic undies are amazing.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

:) C_K...Get a set of mesh pants with the armour, (Joe Rocket), they are worth the $$$ I paid in this steamy ridin' weather 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

YellowJacket!

Road Rash burns more than 110 degree heat.....and much longer too.  :o

I rode to work every day this week and like Lucky said, it was in the 100's for the last few days.  I wore my riding jacket and jeans, helmet, but no gloves.  It was hot and I sweated off about a gallon of sweat in the 7 mile ride home yesterday.  I think I'm going to try the wet towel next time.
On the other side, my digital temp gauge said the Vision topped out at 203 degrees.

Good to hear from you again cracker.  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Tiger

Quote from: h2olawyer on August 23, 2007, 10:42:46 PM
The wet towel around the neck trick works great.
H2O

...or you can try the...MiraCool Bandana...

http://besafeplus.com/store/item/g7mn/Outdoor_Safety/MiraCool_Bandana.html

...just soak in cold water for 30 minute's and the polymer cooling crystals will soak up the water. Tie around your neck and it keeps you cool for up to two day's...Now thats cool 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

crackerkorean

On longer rides I guess itl be a change of pants and a bandana.

I have a mesh jacket and I kind of wish it breathed a little better but it beats non perf heavy leather.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Robin Hood

Quote from: Lucky on August 23, 2007, 09:47:43 PM
high today was 110, with 90% humidity, I wore:

We finally got some sun at the weekend, a whole 77 degrees.

Been the worst summer for years, rain, rain and more rain. Something to do with the heatwave in the Mediterranean.

Just hoping next summer is better.  :(