Sourcing factory front pads

Started by zore, August 29, 2007, 08:21:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zore

I recently had to reinstall the original brake pads back on to the bike since I wore out the ebc's.  What I noticed was how bad the ebc's sucked.  The factory pads stop the bike atleast 3x better.  I can stop with 2 fingers and they have far better feel.  I don't recall who the manufacturer is of the factory pads, but I'd definently like to source them.  Any place other than yamaha?  Or do any of you have experience with a pad that's equally as good?
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

kwells

your observation makes me want to throw my barely used stockers back on and test them out against the sintered pads I recently put on.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

Wish I could be of more help - I replaced the pads at the same time I went to the 83 dual discs & braided stainless line.  I got some SBS pads & the overall combination works much better than the OEM rubber line & single disc.  However, that's not saying much.  I really like the feel of the SBS pads, though.

The OEM pads are still available from Yamaha & were not that much more $$ than the higher priced aftermarket pads when I checked a year or so ago.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

motoracer8

Try Ferodo silver, they are metallic pads, but quite easy on disc. I use them on the V, and a BMW, a Norton, and a Ducati. The initial bite on all machines is much better. I could'nt belive the difference they made on my Norton, as it had fair brakes at best, with the Ferodo pads I can now lock the front wheel. With Lockheed, or EBC pads it took a stronger hand than mine to lock the wheel.

Ken.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

XZv2

Hi, Motorracer8, that is good information, I have well-worn EBC's that still work. I would like to try the Ferodos.
On the Ferodo site, I see only the following types for motorcycles:

Ferodo SinterGrip Road Brake Pads
Ferodo SinterGrip Off-road Brake Pads
Ferodo Array Cooling Set Brake Pads
Ferodo Platinum Brake Pads
Ferodo Argento Brake Pads
Ferodo Array Cooling XR Brake Pads
Ferodo CP911 Brake Pads
Ferodo DRC393 Brake Pads

What might the silver brand?
Argento means silver, but these seem to be for small capacity bikes.

Do you have part numbers for the Ferodo pads that serve your Vision so well?
XZv2

Night Vision

XZv2.. I don't know about the Ferdodos.... but if you can find Vesrah VD-235RQ (race quality) pads in the EU... buy them.., lots of them  ;)

they are also listed to fit xt, xj, xs, xv 1982 OEM part numbers 5r2-W0045-00 , 11U-W0045-00 , 11U-W0045-10, 11H-W0045-00... pretty sure the Euro\83 pads are the same parts numbers... better check yourself

they are race quality sintered pads and I have a set on my 82... they are so nice, I use my front sparingly and only as intended... Ask CndLouie or Kenny how nice that front brake is... Stops way better than Kenny's dual 83 brakes (of course that's not saying a whole lot because Kenny just GOES, rarely stops, and I think his are glazed  :( )

any sintered pad has way more grip, but may reduce rotor life...

can't wait to put these up front and the sintered shoes in the rear  :o ...
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

XZv2

Thanx, NightVision, I 'll try to get these Vesrah pads.
My son-in-law needs new pads too for his Vision.
If they 're not available in Europe, I can order them in the US too.
XZv2