News:

Main Menu

Am I that lucky?

Started by dieseler, September 04, 2007, 06:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dieseler

I've been lurking about for quite some time now and finally decided to post up.

I bought a Vision about 2months back because a guy was asking $500 for it and it seemed to be in good  running condition, and honestly in surprising overall shape.  One minor dent in the tank, paint in good shape, starts easy, runs strong.  No apparent rust in the tank or elsewhere.  Needs a new rear tire and the front brake needed bleeding but thats it so far.

However, since it is a 25yd bike I decided it needed some upfront maintenance since I don't know it's history.  Changed brake fluid and bled the brake, changed engine oil... getting ready to do coolant and driveshaft as well.  Thought while I was at it, I should go ahead and do some of the improvements listed here... especially a fuel filter but when I went to install the filter today... low and behold a PO had already put one on!  Poked around some more and this thing appears to have been garage kept and VERY well maintained!  The only other thing I've found is the forks are excessively soft, so I'm thinking they might not have any oil left anymore.  Either way, I think I'll convert them to air forks with a balance bar.

Originally I was buying the bike for the engine to power another project, but now that I have it and have been looking it over a little more I'm leaning more and more to doing a nice overhaul during the winter and enjoying it for awhile.  Never have rode a bike before and it seems like a great learner!  ( Already bought helmet and jacket,  going to a safety class this weekend)

I've really got to stop finding slightly obscure and and hard to source projects.  Actually,  I should probably stop getting new projects.... but what fun is that!  Hopefully will see you all on here less and on the road more!

Dieseler

QBS

You didn't fool us.  We knew you were out there.  Congradulations on your good find.  Cheers.

Lucky

From the bottom of our hearts, Thank you for not killing a Vision.

Who did you buy it from?, we may know more of the history of the bike than you do, lol

--(I am that) Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black