News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Can this exhaust system be saved?

Started by pullshocks, September 10, 2007, 09:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullshocks

Well, now I know why the bike seemed so loud.  Somebody had doe a very half assed hook up, and there were a couple holes in the crossover plenum structure..  The band to thighten the Y-pipe into the muffler is missing.

The mufflers themselves seem to be sound, but the crossover plenum is very rusty

Luckily the bike came with a nice spare system, but appearance wise, the black front headers into the chrome mufflers isn't that cool.

Any ideas on restoring this unit?

jasonm.

NOT likely...If there is nothing solid to weld to. Badly Rusted and decayed metal this thin is not something that can usually be fixed. The neck to rear Y-pipe also looks sad.  You can't weld to rust.And welding is the only thing that can rebuild metal. sorry... :'(
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

louthepou

IMHO, the trouble of trying to salvage this exhaust is not worth it. As Jason points out, not a lot of metal left. And I'm willing to bet that, inside the mufflers, under the chrome, we wouldn't find that much metal left either.

Shop for a MAC...

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Coil Coyle

A muffler shop can form you a new rear entry pipe, that one's melted while not assembled right. Some one with a low amp small wire MIG unit in their garage could patch any of the chamber with 20 or 18 ga steel that is hammered to shape first.

$0.02
;)
Coil

YellowJacket!

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Night Vision

ps... you also need to look at the rest of the system.... do the trumpets have budges / seams that may indicate they are also rusting from the inside out?

no sense patching the collector if the trumpets won't last....

if you have a chrome rear that needs chrome head pipes... that's easy. I'll swap a set of chrome headers for your blackies... but you might have to re-jet your carbs...   
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

pullshocks

Rejet the carbs?  are the exhausts functionally different?

h2olawyer

The black (83) exhaust headpipes have a smaller inside diameter than the 82s.  Makes for faster exhaust gas evacuation.  Part of the overall fuel system upgrade from 82 to 83.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

pullshocks

So is using the chrome mufflers a bad idea?

Will the chrome mufflers even fit on the black front pipes?  haven't tried it yet.  I suppose I could look at the parts diagram and see if the gaskets are different between the 2 years.....

Is the famous MAC exhaust system currently available?

h2olawyer

The chrome mufflers should fit on the black pipes.  I believe the exterior diameters are the same.  They're double wall construction (or so I've heard) and it's the inner diameter that's smaller.  MACs are still available (but loud) and you can still get a Predator system from the UK.  Predators are really nice, made of stainless, but expensive!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

:) New MAC's are approx' $260.00... :P...A new Pred' system out of the U.K. will run you somewhere in the region of $900.00 :o

8).......I LOVE MY MAC's....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

Tiger... did you check the part number on the headpipes (stamped near the end) on your Canadian?
;D

Tiger

Quote from: Night Vision on September 12, 2007, 08:42:37 PM
Tiger... did you check the part number on the headpipes (stamped near the end) on your Canadian?

:)...Yamaha 11-H-1
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Night Vision

interesting.... that's a North American 82 part number (11H)

so you have an 83 Canadian with 83 carbs (I assume) and 82 chrome headpipes along with the chrome exhaust... I believe all the 83 Canadians have the chrome exhaust... 

have you had the carbs apart and noted the jetting?
;D

Tiger

:) '83 carb's, gas tank, gas guage, twin rotor's, full fairing, etc, etc...and a full chrome exhaust.

CanadianLou is looking at my carb's for me, so I've no idea about the jet sizes ???

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Night Vision

Well, PS... therein lies the answer to the question: can you put the chrome system on your 83?...

yes...

jetting? that answer might take awhile until CndLouie gets to Tiger's carbs..

you could pm XZV2 and perhaps he'd know about the jetting... he has a Canadian with the chrome system
;D

Tiger

Quote from: Night Vision on September 12, 2007, 09:22:21 PM
he has a Canadian with the chrome system

...So does Kenny...The one he bought from Quebec 8)

pullshocks

I do not want loud so the MAC is  not sounding like an option, and the idea of putting a $900 exhaust on this bike....I have faith but not that much faith.

So black into chrome it is then, and I'll see what my son the welder says next time he is home

If the 83 front headers are smaller, does the same apply to the rear Y pipe or are they the same between 82 and 83?

jasonm.

the only difference is the front headers i.d. And of course the type of chrome. The rears are the same.  Go to the Yamaha webb site. Do a part# comparison.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

ColinthePilot

I have dual all black trumpets on the right side of mine, no collector, but its not that loud. I thought they were MACs but everyone says that they're loud. Any idea what I have?
Colin
It pissed me off, so I jammed a screwdriver into it, hit it with a hammer, and spun it around with a pair of vice grips. Let that serve as a warning