News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Another Glorious Day in Colorado!

Started by h2olawyer, September 11, 2007, 08:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

Met up with a friend (Jim) at about 9:30 this morning and we headed South together.  Through Loveland, to Longmont.  West to Lyons, South again to Boulder and on South to Golden.  In Golden, we met up with kwells and had a Starbucks.  Took off West and up Lookout mountain.  Jim on his VFR800, kwells on his Sprint and me on the V.  That is one fun, tight, twisty road!  Lots of switchbacks, esses & just enough sand / gravel in the corners to keep you on your toes.

At the top of Lookout Mountain, we headed West on I-70 for about a mile or so.  Then South on the Evergreen Parkway until the intersection with CO Hwy 103.  This goes over Squaw Pass, past Echo Lake (where the Mt. Evans Road takes off), and on into Idaho Springs.  Another great road.  Very little straight & light traffic.  In Idaho Springs, we stopped at The Buffalo for lunch.  The 1/3 lb. buffalo burger with swiss cheese & their homemade potato chips are awesome!  The bottomless iced tea was great as well.

Filled up the bikes (118 miles from my house at this point) and headed back East on I-70 for a couple miles.  Turned North onto the Central City Parkway and went through Central City & Blackhawk.  Then North on the Peak 2 Peak Hwy, past Inanecathode's neighborhood, through Rollinsville, Nederland, Ward and then turned East on CO Hwy 7, down South Saint Vrain Canyon and into Lyons.  From there, back to Longmont & on Northwards home.  I put 225 miles on the V today.  Got home about 4:40 PM (MDT).

No problems, ran great & the engine temps stayed much lower than they have in the past.  Ambient temps ranged from the mid 50s (F) when we started out and were in the mid 80s (F) by the time we got back down to Lyons & had the straight roads home.  Temp still rises in extended stop & go as well as when I'm forced to go 45 or slower behind traffic and in uphill twisties.  A minute or two of fan gets the temp right back down to 1/2 or slightly lower.

Great friends, great roads, great food & great V!  Even have much narrower chicken strips than I did when I started this morning.  They've almost totally disappeared now!  I'm to the edge of the outermost tread grooves on the rear SuperVenom!  All in all, an extremely enjoyable day.   8)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

Lookout mtn seems to be my solo ride usually.  Was cool to ride with a couple people on that road.  Rt 103 is always a nice long twisty road that keeps the smiles coming.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

inanecathode

Liked 103 eh? I sure do love that road, glad to have shared that with you :D

We'll have to hit it with my 83 some time!
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

h2olawyer

103 is great!  Just keep your eyes open for those tank traps!  At least CDOT had outlined them in . . . pink!?!  Maybe they will finish laying the new pavement next year.  The few miles they've done is fantastic.

Thought about stopping by to say hi yesterday on the way home, but Jim had to get back & we were running about 40 minutes late at that point.  Made up about 20 of those minutes in the last 100 miles.   ;D

H2O

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

was back in Idaho springs this morn...cept not for buffalo burritos

court date!
splitting lanes costed me 95
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer