News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Gas tank repair's...

Started by Tiger, September 12, 2007, 08:35:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) Here is a company that will be of interest to some....Once in, go to MOTOR CYCLE TANK REPAIRS... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

kwells

wonder what the normal V leaky corner tank would cost?  I've never done any brass welding before...i always thought that was called braising
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Sable

Lately I've been watching the BBC channel and see them do "lead loading" on old Jaguars and MG's. I have often wondered if this could be done to patch holes and/or dents in a gas tank.
Opinions anyone?

~ John
1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker

inanecathode

If its metal and it can melt and adhere to steel it will work to patch our tanks.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Kevin

Correct kwells they are braising. I've repaired several tanks this way. You want to wash the tank out and blow air through the tank as you are welding to prevent gas fumes from going boom. Using  lead will seal up holes but not be a strong repair.

jasonm.

I soldered my tank at the few leaking spots. Then I sealed it. Then repainted. You really cannot tell where I fixed it unless I point it out to you.  The problem with brazing...it's easy to melt the metal of this thin/thickness. It takes patience either way.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Aelwulf

Just checked this site from an '02 post, it's no longer there.  A Google search brought them up but it didn't work either.  Unless they just let their site expire I'd guess this is no longer an option. :-\

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

Rick G

I've welded many gas tanks in the past , but the Vision tank is extremely thin and  getting it hot enough to braise , with out burning a hole in it will be extremely difficult. especially if your not experienced at it.
Another option is to "tin " it with solder (using a large soldering copper, thats heated in a gas flame) and then tin a piece of brass shim stock , which you have cut to fit , and solder it in place. This could be a challenge too , because of the Visions goofy shape on the bottom.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike