Aghhhhh!!! Electrical!!!???

Started by KoenigsTiger, August 16, 2004, 08:01:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KoenigsTiger

Hey every one, :D

I was starting her yesterday (like always) and I smelled something, didn't think much of it and then desided not to ride(too many clouds), as soon as I killled the engine and looked down a bit i saw a little whirl of gray smoke come out from behind the battery:-[. Then I found the MAIN 30 A fuse burned out...

Could some one give me some direction on what I should do???  

Thank you very much!!!! ;D
'69 Beetle
'82 Vision
'86 GS450

KoenigsTiger

Well, I looked behind the battery, and removed the thingy with the fins on it from the plastic battery box. It has a little crack on the edge and one end is coming out, from the crack there looks like there is a spill, and the smell that I noticed before!

So would this be the cause of my problem??? ?
'69 Beetle
'82 Vision
'86 GS450

Brian Moffet

That looks like your regulator/rectifier. ?Judging by the darkened area, it blew up.

There has been a lot of talk recently on what can replace them. ?Lucky has a testing page for those: ?http://www.xz550.com/RRTESTS.jpg

Brian

Lucky

I can tell from looking at it it's toast, plus I don't think it's a Vision R/R judging from the wire colors
there is on on the swap shop for $20, grab it while you can, that's a good price!
--Lucky
http://www.ghetti.net/cgi-bin/ROVBB/YaBB.pl?board=swap_shop;action=display;num=1092680828
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

KoenigsTiger

THX for the help guys!!!

I am pretty sure the Rectifier/Regulator is FUBAR, but the question that hunts me is that I am going to replace and its going to burn again  :'(.

What should I do???

Could there be something wrong with my stator???

My connections look alright, form the stator to Rectifier/Regulator and from.

Yeah the Rectifier/Regulator is shot.

And the "MAIN 30 A" fuse is burned.

And the battery looked like it started to get over charged(stain on the top aroud the 3 out of 6 lids).

Should I consern my self with testing the stator or other componets?  

THX for you help guys!!!
'69 Beetle
'82 Vision
'86 GS450

Lucky

It sounds like it overcharged, check the stator wires for continuity to each other and ground.  if it overcharged there is the possability that other electronics such as the TCI could be dammaged, but take heart, there are 2 things in your favor: 1) the fuse blew, so it did it's job, and 2) the R/R melted out on my friends Vision, and that was all it needed, everything else was fine.

double check the wiring & harness for melted points, especially the black heavy wire lead between the R/R 7 bikes wire harness.

--Lucky

P.S.  you might want to reduce your pic size in the future..
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

KoenigsTiger

THX Lucky,

Will check those out tomorrow, its raining right now:'(.

THX for the help!!!
'69 Beetle
'82 Vision
'86 GS450

nvdranger

'82 Vision project.  First Vision, First Bike.
Sometimes monkeys die, Sometimes monkeys die.  It not a good saying, but its a saying.

KoenigsTiger

Continuity seems to be fine. Between all the white wires coming out from the stator, and none with the ground.  

Still waiting for an answer from Phil G about R/R, it is a good price, I hope he reaches me soon.

Ken are you willing to sell me the R/R if Iam in Canada???

THX for all the help guys!!!! ;D
'69 Beetle
'82 Vision
'86 GS450

nvdranger

not sure if you are referring to the one on ebay, that one is not mine.  i do have one out in the garage but I have not been able to verify if its in working order, for some rsn the r/r tests on lucky's website my multimeter doesn't like (2 tests are ok and the others show nothing at all which is a little odd)  if someone could help me with the test i would be more than glad to help you.

Ken
'82 Vision project.  First Vision, First Bike.
Sometimes monkeys die, Sometimes monkeys die.  It not a good saying, but its a saying.

KoenigsTiger

Sorry Ken I thought it was yours, I guess there is more then one Ken in US.

Its ok Iam getting one form Phil G.

THX
'69 Beetle
'82 Vision
'86 GS450