starter rebuilds

Started by dex3703, August 18, 2004, 09:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dex3703

Hello,

Who does starter rebuilds? I obviously wrecked mine rebuilding it. I couldn't get the shaft out, and damaged the bearing. Now it's siezed and when I last tried to start it I got some smoke from the brush end. I'm hoping it can be rebuilt, otherwise I guess I'll have to find another one.

I also screwed up the shifter when I had the left crankcase off; it's now reversed (1 down and 4 up). I guess just turning the linkage around 180 degrees will fix that?

Driving it from my old place to our new one a week ago was a real adventure: wouldn't idle so I had to hold the throttle open, wouldn't start so I had to have my old neighbor push me and pop the clutch (and had to figure out how to pop it on the freeway when people cut me off), and then reverse the shifting. I was pretty shaken up after 25 miles, but I saved a tow.

Thanks for everybody's help. When I get the house to be less of a wreck, I'll have time to get it fixed up.

Derek

GA_Wolf

Shifting is supposed to be one down and 4 up!!!!!  With neutral half a click up from first.

nvdranger

i don't think anyone does a starter rebuilt but not sure.  you should be able to get new brushes for a descent price.  did you take both circlips off? then removed both of the long screws on each side of the starter and then whole thing should come apart, look very carefully how the gears are place in there.

i flipped my gear linkage the exact same way by accident.  flip it over and make sure you can go through all the gears the correct way before tightening the bolt down.  i was leaving the house when I found out the hard way, once in 2nd i couldn't down or upshift, that really sucked!!

have you checked you charging system?  i had to do the same thing with my stator fried and it was not charging my battery.  may want to do the electex tests if you haven't already.

Ken
'82 Vision project.  First Vision, First Bike.
Sometimes monkeys die, Sometimes monkeys die.  It not a good saying, but its a saying.

Lucky

Jason Morris in Ct does starter rebuilds for us, excellent work & very reasonable prices. he even undercuts the mica & trues up the commutator. (if that means nothing to you that's ok, he does the details...) his email address is:jsmthefix@optonline.net
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black