News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Tiger's Lucky #7...

Started by Tiger, September 14, 2007, 10:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) Well, didn't get a lot done to #7... ::) Friday night the wee woman decides that we should go to Niagara Falls, New York on Saturday to do some shopping and go to our fav' eating house for a steak 'n fixin's ;D No complaint's from me ;D ;D :D :D :D... ;)

Sunday I went with a couple of the boy's to a vintage motorcycle swap meet and a wee ride afterward's... 8) Got back mid afternoon, parked the "V" and did a few chore's.

I decided that, before the sun went down #7 had to have a wash down :o She was filthy... ::)

Out came the "chemical tray" and the pressure washer. Soaked her from top to bottom, back to front in a degreaser/cleaner and pressure washed her down, then washed her down with a soap/water solution and pressure washed her down again...WOW!!! she doesn't look half as bad with all that dirt and grime gone... 8) Wiped her down and put her back into the garage as the sun went down on another day :(

She appears to be complete... 8) MAC exhaust system still has the decal on the top muffler!!! All the plastics are there and intact, clutch works, Brakes work, etc,
However...Tires have great tread but are cracked, battery is toast, gas tank has a leak, (Yet to check), Carb's, as we all know, will have to come off and be cleaned. The left side cover will come off so I can check everything out in there... ;)

All said and done, so far, I'm pleased with what I have acquired... 8) I also have two parties interested in her already... 8) Hmmmmm, by N_V's reckoning, I still have one life left :o ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

Quote from: Tiger on September 30, 2007, 08:15:15 PM

All said and done, so far, I'm pleased with what I have acquired... 8) I also have two parties interested in her already... 8) Hmmmmm, by N_V's reckoning, I still have one life left :o ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

it's been said before:  save the best ........... for last  ;D
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

Tiger, i've always been taught ( i've seen it in one of the manuals i think too) that you NEVER use high pressure water on a bike. there are seals that are not protected (like the wheel bearings) like they are on a car
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiger

:) Lucky...As a general rule of thumb, I would agree with you.
However, as this is a resto' project, ALL part's need to be cleaned prior to strip down. This will make stripping/handling/assesment much easier. All bearing's will be cleaned, checked and re-greased or replaced, depending on wear & tear ;) All the electrical conn's have to be cleaned/replaced/hard wired in, etc, etc.
It is the process that I have used for many year's and have done so with NO adverse effect's on all my vehicle's, including all of my Vision's...but I will say that misuse of a high pressure washer can cause all sort's of problem's on a motorcycle...reader's be warned :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Tiger

Quote from: Night Vision on September 30, 2007, 08:49:56 PM
Quote from: Tiger on September 30, 2007, 08:15:15 PM

I still have one life left :o ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

it's been said before:  save the best ........... for last  ;D

:-[ Oooooop's, bad math... 9 - 7 = TWO  :-[...Whahooooooo, two more to come, before the divorce paper's :o :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

...errrr' what was that dear, yes dear, no problem, I'll get onto the honey do list right away dear... ;D :D :D :D :D

8).......TIGER....... 8)

dcsob

I was going to start a new thread, but this one seeemed to touch on it somewhat. My musings are the result of a observant yet off kilter mind so bear with me.
It always pains me when I here a guy say " I would ,could if the wife ,other half let's me". I always retreat into my head and think.. She didn't realize the strength of the addiction when she married you???
So now she puts the brakes on your pleasure. At least your not a drunk, drug addicted, cheatin sob. Yet I rarely, if ever here women say essentially the same thing about their hobby/vice.
I mean you spend 500-700 dollars on a bike that needs a little tlc and keeps you putzing around in the garage. It's not like you spend that every month, I know, I know, some of you do, and kudos to you and yours. the rest of us do it once/twice a year . Fix it, clean it, show it some love and it rewards us with that sweet sound when you hit the starter or the kicker. We have created something and it is good. It gives one joy.
So I hear a guy say The Statement and I ask him,  Why not, will she leave you or divorce you? Usually get a shrug and a, well no but she can get bitchy, or my all time favorite, she won't talk to me. Dude if thats all it takes to get her to not talk to you well, you get my drift.
A lot of times these guys make the really big bucks so I just can't fathom why the Mrs. would not allow him to enjoy his free time doing something he loves. For crying out loud they bust there hump all friggin day. Let the dude relax, and zen out while he's working on his latest creation he'll live longer. I have some thoughts as to why this is so but they aren't ever positive. Especially when you see the look in his eyes. Talk about painful to see.
So Tiger,Kudos to the new aquisition. If the Mrs is cool you have scored a good one, she understands.
I thank God for my wife. She realized early on I am an addict. My friends wifes just cluck cluck and give me "the look", you guys know what I mean.
dcsob
XZ550,XV750,XV920euro,3 XS650's,TX650,T120,Ural B/C with side car, XZ550/920 franken bike in progress
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter accusations'

Tiger

:) My "old girl" is as good as gold really. I had her in the garage tonight givin' me a hand to bleed the front brake off... :o ;) but I do get your drift ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D.. :P

...as for #7, I cut out the original fuse box, which was actually in good condition, but it had to go. As with all the "V"s, I replaced it with seperate in line blade fuse holder's/fuses, including the one in the headlight for the rad' fan. All are hard wired in using butt conn's that use semi translucent shrink tube that has an adhesive on the inside AND contains a solder ring in the center...Put your two wire's in, shrink down, put heat on the solder ring till it melts, (low heat solder), and your done. Seals moisture out with a soldered joint...cool, eh!!! (Just another of the product's that I sell ;) ).

I made up a new battery to motor ground wire, using 6Ga cable. Soldered and shrink tubed the connection's... 8)

Bleed off the front brake...works well... :D :D :D... ;)

According to the guy I bought her off, he said "The gas tank leak's...badly, gas just pour's out...it has been lined, but still leak's"... ::) Anyway, the petcock was in a box of odd's 'n end's, so I refitted it to the tank and dumped a gallon of fresh gas into it.......Leak's alright, not the tank thankfully 8) but the petcock, it just spews out gas from all over!!! Doesn't matter which way you set it...run/prime/reserve, it run's out...as well as every joint/seal. I'll buy a rebuild kit from sirius, as I'm up there way this week.

Pulled the spark plugs out...they are sooooooo shot, byebye, buy ;) I'll get new wire's/cap's/plug's for her, as normal... 8)

The air filter is new 'ish, however, it is for an earlier '82 without the vacuum assist ::) I'll get the Fram #3903 from Walmart and do a custom filter... 8)

Well thats enough for tonight...Time for a beer, I think...Cheer's ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiger

:) Today I picked up,from Sirius, a petcock repair kit and a set of exhaust gasket's, from a local bike shop I got a yard of premium plug lead/cap's/plug's... 8)

Tonight I stripped the petcock down... ::)...everything inside from the "O" ring, that sit's in the run/prime/reserve lever, to the diaphram was completely shot and I mean shot. Not suprising that gas leaked out all over the thing ::) The inside was also full of white oxidised crud...So I scrubed it seriously clean and rebuilt the unit. Before the strip down, there was no "friction" when you turned the lever to run/prime/reserve...there is now ;)
Once stripped/cleaned/rebuilt, I reconnected it to the gas tank. I used a wee smear of red silicone to make sure the seal is tight... 8) I've left it to cure and will put gas into the tank again tomorrow to make sure all is completely sealed.

I connected the new plug cap's to the wire's and installed the spark plug's. I'll connect up tomorrow night...remembering to clean the ground wire at the left coil frame connection  ;)

Thats it for tonight...no hurry ;D :D :D :D :D... ;) Time for a wobbley pop...cheer's 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Night Vision

so where's the pics?  ??? show me yours and I'll show you mine  ;)
;D

ironb12s

Actually, MY XZ is in a similar sit as the one that you just picked up.  It's out in Colorado Springs, running gear is sitting on the sidestand in a 10X20 storage unit with a radial arm saw to port and a bandsaw to starboard.  All of the plastics are in a very large box and in the 10X10 behind the first one, up on a shelf to port of the 2 XS850's in various states of disassembly and the completely disassembled GS750 below the box.  The Vision is naked, with the carbs in the 10X in another box.

About pressure washing, whenever I am about to do anything major to any of my vehicles, I take the wand in hand and hose it down.  If that is going to be taken part and most of the pieces renewed (replaced, cleaned, repacked) anyway, a little water won't hurt it in the long run.  I can't imagine what the front end rebuild on my Exploder would've  been like if I:
1) hadn't pressure cleaned the left and right wheel wells, steering linkage and knuckles, and front I-beams and pumpkin.
&
2) hadn't applied copious amount of penetrating oil to all of the nuts and bolts that would need removed.

I'll likely take the wand to Brandi before I tackle the valve adjustment.  Gonna try black RTV in place of the valve gasket this time...   ;)  And I'll be putting fresh oil and filter on in the process.

Ya know, there weren't that many Vision made in the first place, and that means there may not be a huge number left, so what Tiger does is all goodness.   ;D  I've seen more Visions in boneyards than any other place, but I hope to change that before too long.
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

Night Vision

Quote from: ironb12s on October 03, 2007, 03:12:26 PM

Gonna try black RTV in place of the valve gasket this time...   ;)  that might be a little difficult with the half moons... there are some new ones on ebay that are reasonable

;D

ironb12s

Naw, go right over the halfies, taken off of the old gasket.  I'll report back with findings next week...probably get to the task this Sunday or next Monday.
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

Tiger

:) WhaHoooooooooooo, She's alive, she's alive, she lives again... 8) Jump started her from the car battery. It took a wee bit of coaxing, seeing the fuel pump/carb's where bone dry...but after a couple or so mis-start's, she eventually fired up. Adjusted the idle, once she was off choke and she purred at 1300 r.p.m. real sweet...and with the MAC's, she grrrrrrrowl's real nice when you wind on the throttle :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D
I rebuilt the petcock, however, she still runs gas no matter which way the lever point's...I think I need another one...Anybody have an '82 petcock for sale/trade ??? ???

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiger

Quote from: Night Vision on October 02, 2007, 09:55:48 PM
so where's the pics?  ??? show me yours and I'll show you mine  ;)

::) Having camera problem's, at present... ::) but I will send you some to post, soon.

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiger

:) I can't keep calling her #7, sooooooo...She's black, wear's a MAC system and must be a cat orientated name...Any worthy (clean!!!) suggestion's please :-\

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Last years winter project, a black '82, was "christened"..."The Black Panther"... ;)

Night Vision

I'm running out of names for ya.... but here's two

gato negro

or.......

黒い猫   ;D
;D

h2olawyer

Slap a white stripe on her tank & call her "Polecat".   ;D

Or, how 'bout "Natasha" (Kinsky).  Anyone remember "Cat People"?

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Night Vision

Quote from: h2olawyer on October 04, 2007, 07:26:03 PM

superb  :D
;D

Tiger

Quote from: h2olawyer on October 04, 2007, 07:26:03 PM
H2O

...errrr, NO!!! ;D :D :D :D :D :D

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Lucky

cat scratch fever? cat scratch? Ted?..  ::)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black