Tiger's Lucky #7...

Started by Tiger, September 14, 2007, 10:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supervision

I'll say this, for me it's much easier to bring home project bikes, than it is to work on them.  It's a weakness of mine for sure.  I can say that I'm trying to get a handle on it.  Most of my collection sits their doing nothing, while my primary rider's keep me busy, riding and maintaining them.  Also, the space that these rarely touched bikes take, could be free'ed  up for other uses.  Looking back I wish I would have been better at grabbing something, work it over, sell it, go on to the next one.  Like my car friend says, don't fall in love with the inventory, and always be ready to sell something, it will let you buy something, you haven't had.
" border="0

Night Vision

for some reason, I find them easier to take apart, then to put back together  :-\
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiger

Quote from: Lucky on October 05, 2007, 10:57:30 PM
cat scratch fever? cat scratch? Ted?..  ::)
...Nugent...and NO!!! ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D, but thats music to my ear's :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Quote from: supervision on October 06, 2007, 07:42:38 AM
    Like my car friend says, don't fall in love with the inventory, and always be ready to sell something, it will let you buy something, you haven't had...
...or had, sold and now need for another project ;) Which has happened to me on a couple of occassion's... ::) So your friend, really, is right...everything has its price.

Quote from: Night Vision on October 06, 2007, 08:16:38 AM
for some reason, I find them easier to take apart, then to put back together  :-\
:) But that is going to be one sweeeeeeet "V" that your in the process of rebuilding N_V...A real head turner 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Tiger

:) Ripped off the front end of #7, last night... :o

Still trying, not to hard, to find all those damn ball bearing's that "danced" around the garage floor... ::)

Stripped the fork's down...and thought "Ah, what the hell" and ripped apart the brake caliper, as well ::)

She now has a head full of tapered bearing's, a new set of fork seal's with fresh 15 weight fork oil and the caliper is rebuilt and ready to re-install, re-connect and bleed... 8)...maybe later to-day ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

ironb12s

Got a magnet on a telescoping wand?  Easiest way to collect them balls, even in places you can't see them.  Prolly turn up treasures that you forgot that you had, too...  And, after all, you've swapped in tapereds to replace them, so other than providing a recipe for skating around the garage while carrying something heavy...   ;)
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

Tiger

Quote from: ironb12s on October 20, 2007, 03:18:51 PM
Prolly turn up treasures that you forgot that you had, too...
:) Not really... I only have a single car garage, that I sweep/vacuum weekly. I hate bit's and piece's of shite left laying around the place after each and any job I do, Vision or otherwise.
My parent's (& grandfather), where ex-armed force's, so my early year's where guided by... "A place for everything and everything in its place"... 8) but, as you say, having new taper's installed, I've no need of them 8)

:) Anyhow... #7 now has a new battery, purchased at Walmart yesterday, at a cross border shopping trip to Niagara Fall's New York with the wee woman ::)...$32.78...and a 1.5 amp float charger that has the "hard wire" lead for your "V"s battery and one with pos/neg crocodile clip's, for only $18.44 (BTW, the same battery here in a Canadian Walmart...$76.00...The same charger is $46.00... >:()

Premium plug wire's/plug cap's and new spark plug's are fitted, along with a "custom made" (in my garage), air filter 8). Rear drive oil is drained & changed...I think I'm going to need another winter project the way this is going :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

ironb12s

Umm, Tiger, is that price at YOUR WallyWorld based on the CDN?  Or is it USD?

Night Vision

Quote from: Tiger on October 21, 2007, 08:46:43 AM
"A place for everything and everything in its place"...

Tiger's shop is the only shop I've ever seen where anybody could intuitively find their way around.... limited space kinda forces you to be tidy...... but those bins for bits n pieces are sweet!.... sure beats my coffee can full of um... stuff  ::)   

Quote from: Tiger on October 21, 2007, 08:46:43 AM
...I think I'm going to need another winter project the way this is going :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

oh, I bet lil'balster will need some more help... that'll slow 'ya down
;D

Tiger

Quote from: ironb12s on October 21, 2007, 03:43:41 PM
Umm, Tiger, is that price at YOUR WallyWorld based on the CDN?  Or is it USD?

American Walmart and American $$$$... :)

Quote from: Night Vision on October 21, 2007, 06:14:43 PM
but those bins for bits n pieces are sweet!....

oh, I bet lil'balster will need some more help... that'll slow 'ya down

:)...its sure handy when you sell hardware/chemical's/abrasive's, etc and storage container's, for a living, into maintenance dept's and garage/trucking shop's... ;) Makes my own shop a lot easier to manage ;D :D :D :D :D... 8)

:) Lil'Blasters going to need a lot of help with his winter project, me think's, for sure :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

ironb12s

:) Anyhow... #7 now has a new battery, purchased at Walmart yesterday, at a cross border shopping trip to Niagara Fall's New York with the wee woman ::)...$32.78...and a 1.5 amp float charger that has the "hard wire" lead for your "V"s battery and one with pos/neg crocodile clip's, for only $18.44 (BTW, the same battery here in a Canadian Walmart...$76.00...The same charger is $46.00... >:()

THIS price comparo is what I was referring to.  The WallyWorld in YOUR backyard, not in NY.  Is the exchange rate that extreme these days?  No wonder folks were almost ecstatic when I was paying them USD on my last trek across ON...

ironb12s

Moreover, those "magnets on a wand" are great for getting stuff out from under stuff that you CAN'T vacuum under...   :D

(working ever harder towards that Senior rating....)

Tiger

:) The Canadian $$$ is actually worth more, at present, than the American $$$...($1.02976) :o 8) 8) 8)
Not enough to write home about ;D :D :D :D :D :D
The costs that I posted are the "on the shelf", before tax(s), price's that Walmart charge. So either Canadian's are getting shafted or American's are getting a great deal...depends on your point of view, eh!!

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Aelwulf

Quote from: Night Vision on October 06, 2007, 08:16:38 AM

Amen to that.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

ironb12s

Usually, I find more to be done than I'd planned on when I take things apart.  Just look at how my exhaust replacement on the Vision became a refinish project, now to be a reengineering of the charging system...

Yep, I concur, N_V....   :D

Night Vision

amazingly, I'm finding out that there's more to be done, than I'd planned, when putting them back together  ::)

;D

Tiger

:) Did a wee bit more to-night... :)

Removed the battery box and disconnected the R/R from the back of it and at the two white plastic connection's.

Made a bracket out of 1" aluminum flat bar for the R/R. I removed the screw that hold the rear inner fender on the left side and installed the bracket at this point.

Cut off the white plastic connector's, (stator & R/R), re-connected, using 14ga, 8", bridging wire's...hard wired at the stator end but with fully insulated male/female spade connection's.

Installed a battery tender, quick connect pigtail, to the battery terminal...Yes, the new owner will be getting a battery tender as part of the deal 8)

Put her all back together, fired her up...everything seem's to be working O.K...Charging at 14.4 volt's 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Aelwulf

Wee bit more? :o That much would take me at least a week, if I didn't have to spend extra days fixin' the pooch screws I did along the way. :P

*thunk*
What was that?!

Tiger

Quote from: Aelwulf on October 25, 2007, 07:30:27 AM
Wee bit more? :o That much would take me at least a week...

:) All in all, about 1 1/2 hour's...but remember, this is #4 on the rebuild list, so I've had a wee bit of practice... ;)

8).......TIGER...... 8)

ironb12s

Quote from: Tiger on October 25, 2007, 05:52:26 PM

:) All in all, about 1 1/2 hour's...but remember, this is #4 on the rebuild list, so I've had a wee bit of practice... ;)

Ya, and you have your's at arm's reach...   :(  It's tuff when you get the ideas and no way to try them.

Aelwulf

Quote from: Tiger on October 25, 2007, 05:52:26 PM

Yeah, that's one reason I'm tempted to try a total teardown and rebuild.  That way hopefully I'd know everything that could be done had been done and I'd know about all the nooks in the crannies.  A friend of mine in high school got I think an 80s Corolla or something similar.  He bought it, drove it home and tore it down to base pieces.  It sat in pieces in his back yard for months slowly going back together but when it was done it was reliable and he knew all about it.  Unfortunately I barely have room to do an oil change anymore, let alone bike parts all over from a teardown. :(

*thunk*
What was that?!