Tiger's Lucky #7...

Started by Tiger, September 14, 2007, 10:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) Aelwulf, my first "V"..."The Mistress", originally went into a shop when I got her...Full service/tune up/safety, etc, before I turned a wrench on her. She ran well BUT I spent $750.00 to get her there ::)
I vowed that, given that I have a garage, tool's and some mechanical knowledge, I would not do THAT again. This was well before I found the ROV site... ;)
Since I found the ROV site and its ever expanding family, I have had a certain amount of good fortune and fun, concerning "V"s... ::) ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I have made a lot of "Key board" and "direct contact" friend's because of our group. It is always a great pleasure to join in on ride day's/week-end's, with like minded people.
This site makes owning and wrenching on a Vision much, much easier...and sometimes, fun to... 8)

My advice, to every one new to his or her "V"... for what it is worth...Get to know your "V" by doing one job at a time, on a week-end... 8)
The simple things first...Oil/filter change(s) one week, plug's/wire's/cap's on another, etc...build this up a little at a time and your confidence will grow with your week-end maintenance...as your confidence grow's, then you can try something more demanding...Balancer nut to be tightened, starter clutch bolt's, fork oil seal's, whatever... 8)...but above all have fun with your Vision ;) 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Aelwulf

Yeah, kind of how I started with mine.  To get it running and all I had that guy in the Springs work on it (still need to post his info in case any others want/need it, he's apparently been a name in Yamaha off-road racing at one time judging from the walls of his garage).  I 'tipped' him about $20 an hour for the roughly 11 hours he worked on it, and paid for all the parts so it came out to just under $800.  He did good owrk and made some impromptu touches (such as adding a plastic cover for the fuse box I'm hoping will still fit over it with the new one).  I have tools for the most part and a modicum of mechanical experience (if I can work on $20 million+ jets I hope I can work on an old motorcycle), not much in garage space anymore but should be enough. So, we'll see... :) First job coming up will be the fuses.  Then probably the front end for the head bearings since I seem to need to replace the ones in the front wheel now as well if I'm hearing right.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

YellowJacket!

I'm a lil late on this one but how 'bout "Black Betty"

.... oh oh black betty bama land...oooh oooh black betty bama land.....

;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Tiger

Quote from: DaveTN on October 29, 2007, 08:48:43 PM
I'm a lil late on this one but how 'bout "Black Betty"

.... oh oh black betty bama land...oooh oooh black betty bama land.....

;D

David

How about...NO, DaveTN ::) :D :D :D :D :D :D
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

h2olawyer

Not many older rock songs I truly hate, but Black Betty is one of them!  Amazed they wasted the tape to record it.

Wise choice to disregard it, Tiger.

Still say you're wrong about "Polecat", though.   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

:) Yesterday, I decided to remove the MAC system as it leaked at the rear head ports...due to the fact that I didn't get it all lined up properly last time ::) So, off it came...Thinks I, you may as well remove the back wheel and change the tire as the sidewall's are all cracked...and you can check out the brake's, etc.
I removed the adjuster nut from the shitty looking rear brake rod...something just didn't look right with it ::) Then it dawned on me :o  Sometime in its life, the brake tensioner bar rear bolt must have let loose...the, whichever PO had straightened out the rear brake rod, you could see some of the "kink's" where it had been hammered out ::) But worse :o ...about three inches from the wee blimp in the bar that holds the adjuster spring at the adjuster end of the rod, the bar must have snapped!!! Some ingenious idiot had ground down two flats in the bar and welded it back together :o Off it came and into the garbage pile it went...A replacement I do have ;) On further inspection, yes he/she had replaced the bolt/nut...but left the front one alone ::) So I removed it and, yep, it was rusted to shit...more for the recycle bin ;)
I cleaned all the paint off of the ten' bar and "new" brake rod, put on a coat of red oxide primer and once dry, a coat of an industrial grade, aluminum enamel paint and left over night to dry/cure.

Removed the cotter pin, rear axle nut and spacer, knocked out the axle shaft which, once removed, was all badly rusted...recycle bin!!!

Tire, and balance weight, removed...no problem there, other than the inside of the rim needs a good clean before I mount another tire... ;)

So, my MAC system removal was really worthwhile...in the long run ::) ;D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

I'll clean up the rim, mount and balance the tire, clean out the brake drum and brake's and put the "rear end" back together, with new ten' bar nut's/bolt's and re-install the MAC's, (properly, this time!!!)...Sometime this week, but def' not tonight ::) ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiger

Quote from: h2olawyer on November 12, 2007, 05:26:04 PM
H2O

:P Raspberry sound effect please... :D :D :D... ;)

Night Vision

not too many black cat theme names left buddy... sheeesh

now, if you went with a DOG name.... you could call it Rottweiler
for all the rotten parts you're finding on it  ;D
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiger

:) You mean...Rotten-for-a-while-eh!!! ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

:) I also forgot to mention that there was no brake pedal return spring and the brake light spring was about a foot to long... ::) ;D :D :D :D :D :D

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Aelwulf

Quote from: h2olawyer on November 12, 2007, 05:26:04 PM
Not many older rock songs I truly hate, but Black Betty is one of them!  Amazed they wasted the tape to record it.

Wise choice to disregard it, Tiger.

H2O

I like the song but the lyrics can get a bit annoying after a bit. :P

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

Tiger

:) Cleaned the inside area of the rear wheel rim and mounted another tire. Washed down the rear brake drum, spring's, shoes, etc. Lub'd the brake shoe cam's. Washed out the rear drive area, dried down and re-lubricated. I'll re-install everything, once I've done the wheel balance... 8) "Little by little by little..."

8).......TIGER....... 8)

ironb12s

yes, should be getting a might nippy up in your neck of the woods, time to work on the bikes...  mebbe have #7 ready for a New Year's Day ride?  As early as Xmas?

SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

Tiger

Quote from: ironb12s on November 15, 2007, 04:10:24 PM
yes, should be getting a might nippy up in your neck of the woods, time to work on the bikes...  mebbe have #7 ready for a New Year's Day ride?  As early as Xmas?

:) Haven't ridden for three week's now, due to, in part, the weather...but also because I've had other thing's to do. However, I'll ride Lucky #7 ONLY when she is good & ready... :-\

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiger

:) Back wheel, brake tensioner bar, etc, all lubricated, as required, re-installed and working the way it should do. The MAC's are re-installed and have nooooo leak's...I used red high temp' silicone at all the joint's ;) Starts up and run's/sound's like a wee champion...Won't be long before she is ready to find a new home 8).

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiger

:) Well, I haven't up-dated this thread for a wee while ::) So here goes...
"Lucky #7" is basically complete and ready for her new owner...Vadasz1...Yes, that guy who has been on an e-bay buying binge of late ::) :D :D :D :D Robert...a.k.a Vadasz, is new, not only to the Vision but to bikes in general.

I costed out the part's, new or otherwise, for him...and me!!...and for those who will embark, to some degree, on there project. I've also listed out the jobs completed were part(s) may not have been needed. What I have not added in are the man hours that have gone in to her... ::)

So, here goes...
1 x Owners handbook...................$20.00...(e-bay)
2 x new spark plug's.................$7.00.
2 x new plug cap's...................$14.00.
2 x new plug wire's...................$10.00.
1 x Sirius petcock rebuild kit...............$25.00.
1 x new in-line gas filter..................$4.00.
1 x new 30amp fuse holder...............$4.00.
4 x new, 10amp fuse holder's.............$15.00.
5 x new ato blade fuse's..................$5.00.
1 x new oil filter..............................$16.00.
1 x Castrol 4 stroke oil...............$15.00.
1 x new custom air filter.............$10.00.
1 x berrymans carb cleaner.........$3.00.
1 x new rear drive oil........................$10.00.
1 x new front fork seal kit....................$20.00.
1 x Fork oil (15w).......................$12.00.
1 x new OEM left side engine gasket...........$20.50.
1 x new exhaust gasket kit.................$10.00.
1 x used gauge cluster.......................$45.00.
1 x new set of steering head bearings..$45.00.
1 x set of new handlebar grips......$15.00.

This does not include incidentals, (wire connector's, wire, oil, grease, home made brackets, wire ties, etc) or Labour.

Remove & replace gauge cluster as the speedo was broken...(Actual kilometers: 16,070/10,043 mile's).
Remove, strip, clean, rebuild & reinstall front fork assembly.
Remove and replace steering head bearings with tapered top and bottom assemblies.
Remove, strip down, clean, rebuild, reinstall and bleed off front brake.
Remove left side engine cover, remove flywheel...Starter clutch fix done, torque down 46mm drive shaft & balancer shaft nut's...reinstall engine cover.
Move R/R to new "open" location.
Renew stator & R/R connection's.
Remove, strip, clean, rebuild and reinstall pet cock.
Remove and replace rear brake stabiliser bar fastener's.
Remove rear brake drum, clean and lube mechanism, reinstall and adjust.
Remove, flush out, lube & reinstall left side switch cluster.
Remove, flush out, lube & reinstall right side switch cluster
Replace rear tire, (used).
Replace battery. (1 year old battery from "The Mistress").
Replace one broken indicator.
Replace blown headlight bulb.

...that is all I can remember, up to now. I know there is more!! However, it will give you some idea of what has gone into "Lucky #7".

I know that Robert intends to give her a full paint job and install some of the parts that he has managed to accumulate...full fairing, '83 foot pegs/brake pedal/gear linkage, '83 front fork's, etc... 8)

For me, it is pleasing to know that another Vision has been restored and will be back on the road quite soon and bringing a smile to the face of another new owner... 8) 

8).......TIGER....... 8)

p.s. The way this winter is going, we have more "project day's" than project!!! Hmmmmm, suppose I better keep an eye open for #8, eh!!  :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

Night Vision

wow... what kind of $180/gal  :o fork oil are you using?

just because you put in a new seal, didn't mean you had to use baby seal Oil  ::)

sorry Brian, didn't mean to offend you

aawww screw it... I put it back in... I'm not a fan of political correctness...
nor an advocate of pun control laws  :P
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Night Vision on March 21, 2008, 04:51:12 PM
just because you put in a new seal, didn't mean you had to use Baby Seal Oil  ::)

That can't be left sitting out there.  I'm sorry, but that was really, really, terrible..

Brian (bad pun, no cookie.)

Tiger

:-[ Oooops, $12.00 for fork oil ::)

Disclaimer...No seals where injured in this rebuild ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Brian Moffet

I was taking about the pun.  Not the thought of baby seal oil...

It was the pun that was bad...  (which, for a pun, is not a bad thing...  A really bad pun is a good pun.  Or... )

Brian (who has been known to come up with bad puns on my own..., both tasteful and not so much...)

vadasz1

QuoteInstalled a battery tender, quick connect pigtail, to the battery terminal...Yes, the new owner will be getting a battery tender as part of the deal

Looking forward to the bonus mate.  I got things I can trade with you in the future for other stuff too.  You know me John, I got my fingers in many things............. ::)
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.