New to the forum and bikes

Started by cvt, September 23, 2007, 09:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

louthepou

May 24 - that does give me enough time to get my stuff organized!!! :D
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

QBS

Slow return to idle usually caused by bad carb synchronization.

cvt

Thanks for all your advice guys, I really appreciate it.

Ron_McCoy

Another possible source of vacuum leaks is the gasket under the manifold boots.  I had this one on a donor engine I swapped into my Vision.

cvt

Okey guys I think I had enoughf. Fixed the idle problem. now there is new issues: the stator needs to be replaced,
the tank is leaking gas, the exhaust has to be replaced (leaking really bad), and the bottom of the engine is leaking coolant. I'm thinking of selling the bike, which is too bad because I really like it.

h2olawyer

These are all typical Vision glitches.  All are repairable.  You need to be patient - it takes time & effort to correct all the years of neglect.  Don't give up!  You can get a rewound stator from Tim Parrott for about $90 with shipping.  RMStator is a little more & Rick's seems to be most expensive.  Electrosport's quality isn't what it used to be since they started getting their stators from China.

MAC exhausts aren't that expensive new & come up on eBay on occasion.  The coolant leak is probably just from the weephole.  A new mechanical seal takes care of that issue.  The tank is likely repairable with POR & effort.  Most of us have had to do many of these repairs over time, some have done them all at once.

You can do a temporary fix on the tank with some 2 part gas tank epoxy available at any auto parts store.  Comes as two strips of a putty like substance.  Tear off equal amounts, roll it around until fully mixed & smush it over the holes.  Do the other repairs and come back to the tank.

Stator replacement is a couple hours if its your first one.  Not a difficult job, but parts of the procedure must be done right or you end up with buggered screw heads or oil leaks.  This project is also a good time to replace the starter clutch bolts & make sure they never back out.  (Great another thing to do!)

Seems like a lot of stuff, but it really isn't that much.  These bikes ARE worth the effort!  Total cost of all projects will likely be under $500 and take several days of work to complete.  If you got your V cheap, you will still be well under the cost of a newer bike in ready to ride condition.

Look at each project individually - not all of them at once.  Tackle one and then move to the next.  Carbs are really the most finicky issue on Visions.  The other stuff is generally straight forward fix it projects.  Don't give up on it!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

Many people buy an old bike  (not just Visions  ) and expect it to run like new . Some one has gotten a lot of the good out of it  and you will need to put some good back in. I've been through the top end on mine twice and put a stator in , a european clutch basket and drive gear (optional not necessary been through the carbs twice , been through the starter clutch, rebuilt the starter, changed to MAC pipes, repainted  it 3 times, changed the bar mounts  to use tubuler bars (again not necessary) and probably a hundred other small things.Its part of the fun. Sure i could go an buy something newer, But there isn't a sporty, middle weight , shaft drive, Vtwin  out there.  and I love the thing,  its a hoot to ride!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tiger

:) Give up now :o No way... ::) I agree with h2o & Rick G, Keep up the good work and you will be rewarded 8) Winter is just around the corner, which is when we, in the colder climate's, do whats needed to our Vision's. In three years, my first "V" prob' stands me at approx' $3,500.00...Still cheaper than buying a new bike and a hell of a good fun bike... 8) Like a lot of guy's I'm a multi-Vision owner, I've three in my garage right now...2 x '82 & 1 x '83...The latest, one of the '82's, is #7!!! to my stable.

Quote from: cvt on October 06, 2007, 03:27:51 PM
...now there is new issues: the stator needs to be replaced,
the tank is leaking gas, the exhaust has to be replaced (leaking really bad), and the bottom of the engine is leaking coolant. I'm thinking of selling the bike, which is too bad because I really like it.

Stator's an easy fix...Tank can't be toooooo bad...Exhaust may be repairable...Coolant is prob' just a seal...Noooo big deal ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

cvt

Alright decided to give it another shot. Did a coolant pressure test.One of the rad hoses was leaking (fixed)
As for the stator I decided to look over the wiring one more time, and sure enoughf one of the wires was hooked up wrong.so the stator works now. I guess I am going to stick with this bike and fix one problem at a time.

Kenny

Welcome "CVT" Nice to see another Vision on the road in Ontario. Used to be another Fella in YOW (George Young) that had a "V" ,he may have some tips for you on the new machine.
   Although it sounds like you are ready for a short road trip down to Wooler road, If this is the case give me a shout and I will meet you half way, :) (Prescott) send me an pm.
    I am out of the country starting on tue. 9th back on the 12th.
                                 Let me know if I can help in some way.
                                               Cheers Ken S.  8)
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Rick G

Atta boy CVT,  You may need to coat the  gas tank  to make it reliable,  use por15,  great  stuff . Just study the directions.  You will want to track down the multi plugs on each end of the RR  and either replace them with some sort of higrade multi plug (marine types , possably ) or just cut the out and solder them directly . As most of us do .  If you need  any information  just ask. This is the start of a great adventure!!
When I bought my first V , I  insisted I ahd to hear it run,  so we removed the gas tank and air box cover , poured a bit of gas into each carb   and jumped it from my minivan . it didn't run well but it ran .
I spent  the month of March getting it ready . Replaced the mechanical seal in the water pump, front wheel bearings,  Tyres , rear brake shoes ,  and by the time it was warm enough to ride I was on the road .  Lucky you, you have all winter to get it into shape.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tiger

:) CVT...between louthepou & Kenny, you have two veeeeery experience guy's on your doorstep. They can offer you a lot of practical help and pos' part(s) for your Vision. Myself, CanadianLou, Brian_Mathewson & Co are not to far away AND you have the ROV at your finger tip's... 8).

Also...If you don't already have one, get in touch with "Lucky" and acquire one of his C.D.'s They are a workshop manuel, part's manual (with part number's!!!), there are lot's of "How to" fix it help/hint's/tip/s, advertising feature's from '82/'83...they are a wealth of information, garnered over many year's... 8)

There isnt much that the people on the ROV haven't found/seen/done/fix'd over the year's. I for one, wouldn't have had my first "V" for the past three year's, let alone one or two more ::), if it wasn't for the ROV "Family"...near and far 8)

So, if you really wan't to get your Vision, not just up-and-running, but running well, so you can get maximum enjoyment from it...USE US, use all of your new "family". Take one job at a time and you will get there, believe me... 8)

I expect to see you at the 2008 OnROV May TwoFour Spring Ride. Infact, your welcome to join us this week-end, if not to ride, but for the Saturday night B.B.Q...where you can meet some of your new brother's 'n sister's...just bring a sleeping bag ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!